• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Searching for Wolverton fanzine art

20 posts in this topic

In my quest to gather as much early (circa 1926-39) Wolverton art as possible for my upcoming bio (Creeping Death from Neptune), I see there are numerous examples in 1970s fanzines. Thanks to Glenn Bray, I found some worthwhile stuff in SERAPHIM, BILL THAILING CATALOGUE #215, MADSTAR #1, and RBCC #143. Some fanzines reprint published comic book stories, but I want the unpublished portfolio work that was sold off in the early 1970s. I'm looking primarily for serious (not humorous) material. If anyone can help, please send me a PM. Will thank you in the book and comp you a copy after it's published later this year. Thanks.

Can't help with your quest but it's funny as this past weekend I was looking at GJDRKZLXCBWQ Comics and wondered what the story was behind that. I just did a quick internet search and was surprised to find some interesting material on Mr. Bray's collection. I sure like his comic and bought it at a Seuling New York show back in 1973 when it came out.

Good luck with your efforts.

138356.jpg.b488fe735cb35682576700e4a63c377d.jpg

Graphic-Story-Magazine_14_Basil-Wolverton_Part2_back_cover.jpg

I'm sure you have heard of Bill Spicer's Graphic Story Magazine which was a pro-zine he produced in the 60's and 70's. Graphic Story Magazine #12 (Fall 1970) devotes an entire 52 page issue to Basil Wolverton and is chock full of his artwork, much of which would be in this book, and the follow on, Graphic Story Magazine #14 (Wolverton Part 2).

I can loan these fanzines out if you wish, but I would want them back. See the next scan (and especially the envelope after that for something I'm sure you have NOT seen)!

Aaron Caplan

Graphic-Story-Magazine_14_Basil-Wolverton_envelope.jpg

If Glen Bray didn't mention this envelope that Graphic Story Magazine #14 was mailed in, he should be hog-tied!

Sorry, my scanner is too small to give you the entire envelop, but I think it would be nice for your book!

Aaron

Graphic-Story-Magazine_Wolverton_ad_from_Dick-Voll.jpg

Voll was the Contributing Editor to Both Graphic Story Mag #12 and #14. This ad sheet was shipped along with GSM #14. So you might want try to contact Voll (if he's still with us ...) and find out who he sold all the Wolverton original art to!

Aaron

SFCA-Price-Guide-1974_Wolverton-Checklist_pg25.jpg

The SFCA (GB Love's organization that published the RBCC) published The SFCA Price Guide in 1974, which featured a one-page Wolverton Checklist on page 25.

On the following page 26, there is a reprint of a "serious" scene from The Bible Story.

SFCA-Price-Guide-1974_Wolverton-Bible-Story-Illustration_pg26.jpg

Again, I can provide all these examples to you if you wish.

Aaron

One of my all time fav's artist

this might be what you're looking for, the guy I bought this off told me he got it from Wolverton in ether the late 1960's/early 1970's

good luck with the project ether way!

wolverton_framed2_zps884343d5.jpg

I know. I haven't been on this in months. Can't keep track of this stuff. But I needed that COMEDY COMICS 9, and noticed I had an old response I hadn't acknowledged. Hey, I like that drawing.

Since this book includes "some 20 apocalyptic illustrations inspired by the Book of Revelations" and other Bible illustrations done for Worldwide Church of God publications starting in 1953, I suspect that this book contains what you are looking for.