• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EX CGG Book; Guess This Grade

41 posts in this topic

Since no creases are allowed on corners 9.0 and above.....I would

guess CGC would say 8.5....

Not true at all.

I have CGC 9.2's with very faint corner creases (no more than 1/4") and CGC 9.0's with heavy corner creases (once again no more than 1/4").

One thing to remember is that grading a comic book has two parts.

1) The type of defects

and

2) How many

At least from what I can tell, a book with only one or two small defects (i.e. very light corner crease or spine stress) can still be NM. That's assuming the book has no other non-color breaking creases.

CGC 9.4

CGG 9.0

EXACTLY 893applaud-thumb.gif

CGG 9.0 acclaim.gif

(Didnt make a guess on the CGC grade though... frown.gif)

I have seen several people say that this book has amateur resto on it. Where is it and how can you tell. Not trying to start a flame war, want to know for my own sake as I need tips on how to detect resto. flowerred.gif Any help will be appreciated cloud9.gif

They are just being smartasses because of CGG/PGA's reputation for missing restoration. They don't actually see any amateur resto. You're not going to be able to spot color touch in a scan like that unless it is very, very obvious.

I have seen several people say that this book has amateur resto on it. Where is it and how can you tell. Not trying to start a flame war, want to know for my own sake as I need tips on how to detect resto. flowerred.gif Any help will be appreciated cloud9.gif

Hey... welcome to a CPG Forumite! hi.gifacclaim.gif

If you are referring to the people on this thread that speculated about amateur resto, they are just busting chops because it was CGG book. Don't worry about it.

Books most susceptable to amateur resto are books that have black along the spine and corners. It's easy to hide creases with a black marker. To detect color touches, look along the spine and edges for creases in the paper where the ink is NOT broken. Then look closer for a subtle difference in color or reflectivity. Look at the inside of the cover for marker bleedthrough. Look for spots where the paper is rough but the color is not scuffed. Of course, it can happen with any color, but black is the most common because it's easiest to match the color.

Regarding the book in this thread, I'd say there is a low likelihood of amauteur restoration... at least as far as color touch.

Bear in mind that CGG's resto detection services have been questionable, but it's still much safer than buying raw off ebay.

Welcome to the boards! cool.gif