• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is a good reason to crack a slab?

94 posts in this topic

Seriously, list and defend your very best reason for taking a graded comic out of a slab.

hm

At this point I am not convinced there is any TRULY good reason to take a book out of the plastic other than pressing, resto work or attempting to get a higher grade.

To handle, read and enjoy the book.

Besides, I like the way a comic presents in a mylar better than slab.

Plus I like to introduce more conservation methods (e.g., extra microchamber paper, and a Life Extender Plus sheet in the centerfold).

Works for me.

To better enjoy the beauty of the preservation of the book and the art of the medium.

Conversely, it can be argued that the only major reason to slab a comic is to sell it.

To handle, read and enjoy the book.

Besides, I like the way a comic presents in a mylar better than slab.

Plus I like to introduce more conservation methods (e.g., extra microchamber paper, and a Life Extender Plus sheet in the centerfold).

Works for me.

Not sold, there are plenty of reader copies available in most comics. Why buy a graded comic if your purpose is to read a book? All you have done is waste money in this instance.

To better enjoy the beauty of the preservation of the book and the art of the medium.

Conversely, it can be argued that the only major reason to slab a comic is to sell it.

Your first point is difficult to accept. Slabbing or more specifically un-slabbing a comic does not specifically meet this need. It is just an expensive way to potentially obtain your goal.

You second point is completely valid, hard to argue otherwise. Only point may be better long-term safety and preservation.

Why buy a graded comic if your purpose is to read a book? All you have done is waste money in this instance.

Some people (me included) like to purchase cracked slabs from trusted sources. You get the label (CGC restoration check) and can examine the book for yourself (due diligence).

For many of the books I've purchased (Golden Age), an undercopy is just not readily available.

For some more common books (Silver Age) I have purchased, I have obtained reader copy dupes.

Online comics just don't do it for me - while I appreciate their resource value, I prefer the look, smell, and feel of the real deal.

In sum, a book in a slab is a thing; a book in hand is a comic.

Why buy a graded comic if your purpose is to read a book? All you have done is waste money in this instance.

Some people (me included) like to purchase cracked slabs from trusted sources. You get the label (CGC restoration check) and can examine the book for yourself (due diligence).

For many of the books I've purchased (Golden Age), an undercopy is just not readily available.

For some more common books (Silver Age) I have purchased, I have obtained reader copy dupes.

Online comics just don't do it for me - while I appreciate their resource value, I prefer the look, smell, and feel of the real deal.

Hi Rfoiii, Why wash your car if your going to drive it and get it dirty again?? why take a bath every day..... ok I also agree with SAcentar, as many of the books I bought in a slab are tough to find in ANY grade and I cant afford mult copies of golden age books. I read my comics over about every 3-5 years. For me, sitting on the couch reading a paper comic is as much a part of the experience as seeing the art and following the story. I appreciate CGC for many reasons, but permanent entombment of a comic is not one of them.

Hi Rfoiii, Why wash your car if your going to drive it and get it dirty again?? why take a bath every day..... ok I also agree with SAcentar, as many of the books I bought in a slab are tough to find in ANY grade and I cant afford mult copies of golden age books. I read my comics over about every 3-5 years. For me, sitting on the couch reading a paper comic is as much a part of the experience as seeing the art and following the story. I appreciate CGC for many reasons, but permanent entombment of a comic is not one of them.

I am good with your point of wanting to read and enjoy a comic. However, I am confused as to why you would purchases a CGC book. While CGC is growing in popularity, with the exception of a very few select books, it is always possible to find raw cheaper alternatives to slabs. This is true for all books, Gold or otherwise. Patience and effort to search are the only requirements.

I also don't understand if you don't like the fact CGC slabs comics, why do you buy them? This is a choice.. Many times people just want to complain (human nature), so they create scenarios in which they feel they have a right to do so. In this case, people who want to read comics, buy CGC slabs, open the comics and read them and complain about how they are "entombed." (not to mention, complain about the grade or PQ many times as well) This just seems like a silly choice and definitely an unnecessary expense.

"Readily available" is a measure of patience and effort. With very few exceptions, there are far more raw copies of most books than slabs.

Your last point, while seemingly poetic, is an incorrect statement. All objects are "things," and while being able to touch the comic does potentially add to its utility, it is not necessarily the sole purpose or defining characteristic.

I don't like my comics to be in the cases cuz...

1. They take up much more space for no reason.

2. Aside from an imminent sale, what do I care what grade CGC gave a copy? Once it's mine, my grade is what I care about.

3. I can keep them together with the vast majority of my collection, which is ungraded.

In most cases, as I'm not an uber-high grade collector, I don't see much if any difference in price between graded and ungraded copies, especially here. Leaving out concerns around a resto check, if I see a copy that I like I'll snag it, graded or no. As for the resto check, that's already done once it's encapsulated, so what's the point of keeping it in the case?

I am good with your point of wanting to read and enjoy a comic. However, I am confused as to why you would purchases a CGC book. While CGC is growing in popularity, with the exception of a very few select books, it is always possible to find raw cheaper alternatives to slabs. This is true for all books, Gold or otherwise. Patience and effort to search are the only requirements.

I also don't understand if you don't like the fact CGC slabs comics, why do you buy them? This is a choice.. Many times people just want to complain (human nature), so they create scenarios in which they feel they have a right to do so. In this case, people who want to read comics, buy CGC slabs, open the comics and read them and complain about how they are "entombed." (not to mention, complain about the grade or PQ many times as well) This just seems like a silly choice and definitely an unnecessary expense.

I have never sent a book to CGC, and any book I bought slabbed was on someone else's dime. I am an opportunist and patient. If book comes to market, I never pay a prem for it being slabbed. In fact, most of the rare books I have were picked up at or below guide (and OS guide is not always a good measure of value). I don't recall complaining about CGC except their position on Tape, which changed to my liking. I do agree with some of what your saying, in that many do complain, but grading has always been a hot topic. If I compare CGC with Raw grading from various dealers, I think CGC is more consistent. End of the day, if I can get a comic within 0.5 to 1 tic from my est, I am usually pleased to keep it regardless of who graded. I do not waste my time on the insane 9.6+ craze, else I think CGC would be invaluable and I would probably change my position about slab vs raw.

Many choices are out there for the new and long time collector.... :cloud9:

buy raw if you want to actually be able to accurately grade the book yourself in hand versus having a third party tell you what you should already know in terms of grading and page quality and restoration check (learn your hobby)

buy readers to read and enjoy them, restored or not, the story is the same as is the art

buy high grade raw if you like to roll the restoration dice or are not experienced in detection on the expensive books and don't plan on selling

buy slabbed to get those registry points and prevent "readers damage" and then for re-sale

de-slab copies where the slab doesn't add or preserve value and you want to read it

de-slab copies where you never plan to sell in your lifetime and don't give a rip if someone wasted money on a plastic case

slab to sell if a premium can be had by CGC validation or if you're incredibly lucky like foolkiller and can snag a 10.0 of a copper key....(new boat, new car, or more comics?)

slab to get the Sig Series if that matters to you

slab if you plan to take them to a boardie barbeque and hand out the books for perusal while eating ribs

:sumo:

2. Aside from an imminent sale, what do I care what grade CGC gave a copy? Once it's mine, my grade is what I care about.

3. I can keep them together with the vast majority of my collection, which is ungraded.

In most cases, as I'm not an uber-high grade collector, I don't see much if any difference in price between graded and ungraded copies, especially here. Leaving out concerns around a resto check, if I see a copy that I like I'll snag it, graded or no. As for the resto check, that's already done once it's encapsulated, so what's the point of keeping it in the case?

I like your point of view, slabs don't add value to your collecting priorities as you have set them.

I also see your point of buying a slab if the price is the same or similar to a raw copy because it takes some risk out of the purchase (i.e. checking for resto, etc). Then because of your stated collecting preferences, you would liberate your books. Not my preference, but solid position.

My only question would be that based on your criteria, you would typically buy raw books. Correct?

To your question, I buy CGC books to protect them and buy reader copies to read them (or trade reprints/read online where necessary). Keeping them in their slab is a simpler protection method and requires less effort to maintain a safe environment for my high value books. I move a ton and this is essential for me as I cannot always pick where I go.

I like your point of view, slabs don't add value to your collecting priorities as you have set them.

I also see your point of buying a slab if the price is the same or similar to a raw copy because it takes some risk out of the purchase (i.e. checking for resto, etc). Then because of your stated collecting preferences, you would liberate your books. Not my preference, but solid position.

My only question would be that based on your criteria, you would typically buy raw books. Correct?

To your question, I buy CGC books to protect them and buy reader copies to read them (or trade reprints/read online where necessary). Keeping them in their slab is a simpler protection method and requires less effort to maintain a safe environment for my high value books. I move a ton and this is essential for me as I cannot always pick where I go.

I buy more raw, yeah. I also buy mostly (100% actually) here, so my graded percentage has gone up. I'm also not a reader of comics :whatthe: 99% of the time, so that's not one of my reasons.

"Readily available" is a measure of patience and effort. With very few exceptions, there are far more raw copies of most books than slabs.

Your last point, while seemingly poetic, is an incorrect statement. All objects are "things," and while being able to touch the comic does potentially add to its utility, it is not necessarily the sole purpose or defining characteristic.

Most of my collection is raw, I look for raw books, because I like paging through them.

]I have books that are not easily found. I'm sure Steve has more than I do...but a few of mine, just are not around. If I see a slabbed book that I have on my list, I just buy it, because I'll be long gone before a raw one shows up.

I actually have never opened a slabbed book, but not because I wouldn't...just because it's a sure way to break a nail;)

Most of my collection is raw, I look for raw books, because I like paging through them.

]I have books that are not easily found. I'm sure Steve has more than I do...but a few of mine, just are not around. If I see a slabbed book that I have on my list, I just buy it, because I'll be long gone before a raw one shows up.

I actually have never opened a slabbed book, but not because I wouldn't...just because it's a sure way to break a nail;)

girls!! :eyeroll:

I have never sent a book to CGC, and any book I bought slabbed was on someone else's dime. I am an opportunist and patient. If book comes to market, I never pay a prem for it being slabbed. In fact, most of the rare books I have were picked up at or below guide (and OS guide is not always a good measure of value). I don't recall complaining about CGC except their position on Tape, which changed to my liking. I do agree with some of what your saying, in that many do complain, but grading has always been a hot topic. If I compare CGC with Raw grading from various dealers, I think CGC is more consistent. End of the day, if I can get a comic within 0.5 to 1 tic from my est, I am usually pleased to keep it regardless of who graded. I do not waste my time on the insane 9.6+ craze, else I think CGC would be invaluable and I would probably change my position about slab vs raw.

Good perspective, for the most part it sounds like you disapprove of the speculative market CGC creates (the 9.6+ craze, which is most obvious in bronze or modern books) and see their value if properly leveraged. I agree with this point and also find that CGC is far more consistent then people give them credit for (especially when compared to the "educated masses").

It also seems that you are patient as you can be to find a raw copy in the quality you are looking for and will only buy slabs when you cannot find another option (in the time frame you deem reasonable) and do not have to pay the CGC premium. I also think this is good perspective, as you are not paying for the "slabs" themselves and are not complaining about them either. Your preference seems to be to have books you can touch and will do what you can to obtain them in that fashion.

Solid points, thank you.