• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is a good reason to crack a slab?

94 posts in this topic

To better enjoy the beauty of the preservation of the book and the art of the medium.

Conversely, it can be argued that the only major reason to slab a comic is to sell it.

Your first point is difficult to accept. Slabbing or more specifically un-slabbing a comic does not specifically meet this need. It is just an expensive way to potentially obtain your goal.

In terms of preservation, very easy to accept. I have high grade raw books that I can handle and flip through. That allows me to enjoy, in a tactile sense, the preservation of the comic in a way that I cannot in a slabbed copy.

Then on top of it, use the "I hate CGC entombed comics" argument as a reason to "liberate" them and complain about the "system."

You've mentioned this several times Rob, and I'm not sure where you are coming from.

Collectors will crack books for any number of reasons that fall under personal preference, and not because they are on some sort of anti-CGC zealous crusade.

I believe you're misinterpreting motives and semantics - can you provide specific examples which caused you to draw this conclusion?

Steve, why are you wasting your time trying to debate with some know nothing newbie who is arrogant enough to pass judgment on a veteran and prominent collector such as yourself?

It's like listening to Joe Gibbs trying to explain formations to some middle school kid who doesn't know enough to comprehend what he's being told anyways.

Then on top of it, use the "I hate CGC entombed comics" argument as a reason to "liberate" them and complain about the "system."

You've mentioned this several times Robb, and I'm not sure where you are coming from.

Collectors will crack books for any number of reasons that fall under personal preference, and not because they are on some sort of anti-CGC zealous crusade.

I believe you're misinterpreting motives and semantics - can you provide specific examples which caused you to draw this conclusion?

Fair push and I will need to comb through other threads to find references outside of the one or two already stated in this thread to find specific examples.

Maybe your motives are very clear and your approach solidified within your individual collecting criterion. What I am stating is that there are a number of people (whom may not be currently participating in this thread at current), that make statements like similar to what I am referencing. What I am asking for is to see if some of those others can answer the question "why crack a slab" beyond what has already been discussed.

To be fair, overall I am not sure I am misinterpreting anything (motives, semantics or otherwise). Responsibility for clarity of communication falls on the writer, not the reader.

I am simply seeking to understand better, but maybe there aren't any other good reasons beyond what has been listed. That is other than personal preference (illogical as it may seem), ignorance (under-informed or lacking education) or stupidity.

Perhaps you should open your ears and your brain and LISTEN then. Some of the people talking to you in this thread, whose opinions you dismiss, have forgotten more about collecting comics than you'll ever know. rantrant

You've mentioned this several times Rob, and I'm not sure where you are coming from.

Steve, why are you wasting your time trying to debate with some know nothing newbie who is arrogant enough to pass judgment on a veteran and prominent collector such as yourself?

It's like listening to Joe Gibbs trying to explain formations to some middle school kid who doesn't know enough to comprehend what he's being told anyways.

Filled with anger, arrogance and totally unnecessary.

You've mentioned this several times Robb, and I'm not sure where you are coming from.

Fair push and I will need to comb through other threads to find references outside of the one or two already stated in this thread to find specific examples.

Maybe your motives are very clear and your approach solidified within your individual collecting criterion. What I am stating is that there are a number of people (whom may not be currently participating in this thread at current), that make statements like similar to what I am referencing. What I am asking for is to see if some of those others can answer the question "why crack a slab" beyond what has already been discussed.

To be fair, overall I am not sure I am misinterpreting anything (motives, semantics or otherwise). Responsibility for clarity of communication falls on the writer, not the reader.

I am simply seeking to understand better, but maybe there aren't any other good reasons beyond what has been listed. That is other than personal preference (illogical as it may seem), ignorance (under-informed or lacking education) or stupidity.

Perhaps you should open your ears and your brain and LISTEN then. Some of the people talking to you in this thread, whose opinions you dismiss, have forgotten more about collecting comics than you'll ever know. rantrant

Same as above, unnecessary.

I really enjoyed reading this thread/discussion. It reminds me of one of my college philosophy classes way back in the day.

Man, your philosophy classes were different from mine.

Seriously. Why are you guys bothering with the OP? He's never going to get it, doesn't want to get it, and thinks you guys are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons for loving comics. Why waste your time further?

Seriously, list and defend your very best reason for taking a graded comic out of a slab.

hm

At this point I am not convinced there is any TRULY good reason to take a book out of the plastic other than pressing, resto work or attempting to get a higher grade.

To read a comic.

To smell it.

To feel it.

To enjoy it.

The wax nostalgic about the stories and adverts.

To repeat all of the above.

I can't believe the question is even being asked. Comics are for fun.

Roy, any idea where your "the slab is just a briefcase" quote is? I thought that was a great comparison.

Seriously. Why are you guys bothering with the OP? He's never going to get it, doesn't want to get it, and thinks you guys are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons for loving comics. Why waste your time further?

“Talk lives in a man’s head, but sometimes it is very lonely because in the heads of many men there is nothing to keep it company - and so talk goes out through the lips.”

― Beryl Markham, West with the Night

I really enjoyed reading this thread/discussion. It reminds me of one of my college philosophy classes way back in the day.

Thank you, I have really enjoyed the discussion as well. To honest my views have been influenced and while I may not fully understand everyone's motives/choices, I will always still try.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

Joseph Joubert

“Talk lives in a man’s head, but sometimes it is very lonely because in the heads of many men there is nothing to keep it company - and so talk goes out through the lips.”

― Beryl Markham, West with the Night

At least it wasn't song lyrics doh!

I prefer to not crack the slabs if I can avoid it because it is a waste of slabbing fees.

...but I cracked out books because

a) some books you just can't find raw so I buy graded books and cracked them out for enjoyment...I know I will keep these for years if not decades ...and I want to enjoy them for years to come reading and flipping and smelling them. If i plant to sell them, I am certain to get them graded it again to maximize resale value.

b) some books I slabbed myself but later I want to enjoy reading them again so reluctantly, I cracked them out instead of buying a reader copy. Most of them carry sentimental value that cannot be replace with another "reader". For example, I had a bronze X-men that I personally had John Byrne signed on the splash page at my first convention ever. I slabbed that book but I decided that the best way to enjoy that book is have it raw so I can look at the sig each time I flip thru the book. No other copy will replace that copy.

c) But for the majority of slabbed I bought, I am slowly replacing them with raw books (low or high grade) and I will sell the slabs or sold them already. I don't feel a strong need to waste money cracking them out and paying CGC to slab them again. I collect mostly high grade and I find it not that hard to replace the high grade slabs with high grade raw books. It takes a little time but the hunts are fun.

As I am curious as to whether my reasons for cracking a slab are good reasons*, what do you see as the good reasons that have been listed? :shy:

*I fear I am driven by illogical personal choice, ignorance or stupidity. :eek:

Conversely, the only real reason to keep a comic slabbed is to sell it.

I disagree with that statement.

- I like the protection the slab provides. I don't have to worry when handing it to someone to look at.

- For insurance reasons, it's easier to value.

- Finally, to agree with you, you never know if you may have to sell a book in the future.

Good points, although I suspect it depends on what "kind" of a collector you are.

I don't hand my books to people to look at (as I think is true for a fair number of collectors), so the protection issue is moot.

For insurance, it might be more helpful for claim purposes, but not for valuing the book, as long as you can grade. Even for claims, scans and photos and purchase documentation should suffice.

For insurance reasons for collections of expensive books that are going to be kept for a long time, unslab them.

CGC cases are not good to keep books sealed inside of for 10+ years. Conservation is not a cut and dried perfectly proven know subject. Storing books with some ability to breath is good, in the right conditions. Sealing them up with the main factors that degrade books is bad(the acidity that exists in all comics when new).

That being said, people who keep large enough collections that need insurance, they have to decide between extra hundreds of dollars per year for home insurance, or storage in a bank safety deposit box. The extra home insurance might be $500-$1000 per year, but most safety deposit boxes are well under $100. Mine is $60 per year.

You cannot place any amount of CGC cases into a safety deposit box, worth doing. But in Mylar sleeves, you can fit hundreds in one SDB.

So, it depends on your collection.

I prefer to not crack the slabs if I can avoid it because it is a waste of slabbing fees.

...but I cracked out books because

a) some books you just can't find raw so I buy graded books and cracked them out for enjoyment...I know I will keep these for years if not decades ...and I want to enjoy them for years to come reading and flipping and smelling them. If i plant to sell them, I am certain to get them graded it again to maximize resale value.

b) some books I slabbed myself but later I want to enjoy reading them again so reluctantly, I cracked them out instead of buying a reader copy. Most of them carry sentimental value that cannot be replace with another "reader". For example, I had a bronze X-men that I personally had John Byrne signed on the splash page at my first convention ever. I slabbed that book but I decided that the best way to enjoy that book is have it raw so I can look at the sig each time I flip thru the book. No other copy will replace that copy.

c) But for the majority of slabbed I bought, I am slowly replacing them with raw books (low or high grade) and I will sell the slabs or sold them already. I don't feel a strong need to waste money cracking them out and paying CGC to slab them again. I collect mostly high grade and I find it not that hard to replace the high grade slabs with high grade raw books. It takes a little time but the hunts are fun.

Say Nick, how does your ASM annual 1 smell? Can I read it, I haven't read one since the copy I sold to Tom?

oh, mine is a ratty mess with mildew, stains and all kind of funk as well as missing pieces inside. lol, I like the smell of old books but that one, I am afraid taking a good whiff might take in some pollutants that will eat away my lung tissues.

But all of the above can be done by purchasing a raw copy (only a small number of comics are so rare that you have NO other options than a slab - Action 1 being an example, crazy expensive example, but a good one).

First , you posted this in the silver age thread so maybe your perspective is limited to just commenting regarding SA books? If not, then second, what would you consider a "small" number that can't be found raw?