• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Packaging Techniques

28 posts in this topic

When I send paper (be it a poster, lobby card, pressbook or comic) I always use multiple layers. I also always put the item itself into an unsealed Kraft/Manilla envelope so it can be easily slid out with having to bring a blade too close.

The one thing that I do, however, that I have never seen done, is fold over the ends of literally every piece of tape used. This creates a "flap" that makes it very easy to just lift and remove the tape. It is probably the easiest way to increase the safety of opening a package. No longer do you have to try razor-blading a package open because the tape is just stuck too tight.

SO - anyone else have any tips on how they package?

Actually, I have seen others fold over the tape to allow for easy opening. Since I basically sell only CGC books, here is how I pack them:

1) I first tape down the bags that they come with down so the slab does not slip out of the bag during shipping.

2) I then put the slab into a bubble envelope and seal it.

3) I then put foam peanuts on the bottom of a box that is double walled at the ends. I put the envelop in the box and put more peanuts on top before I seal it.

Because the envelope almost fits the box perfectly, the slab does not move around.

I have not have any problems shipping this way! smile.gif

Cinder blocks, my compare's (pronounced in Italian... Goom-bahs....ahhh!!!

I actually had an "official" Goomba in my family. "Goomba Phil". He was best man at my parent's wedding (1938). It was funnt - he was NEVER called Phil - always "Goomba Phil".

PS - you seem to like cinder blocks! You use them for both pressing and shipping. You must reveal your cinder block comic storage techniques!

Italians are the BEST at creative nicknames!!!! I knew this fellow that was named by a closely knit group of Italians, "Cincinnatti Joe" because in the summer, he would wear Bermuda shorts and dress socks pulled very high that looked like the old Cincinnati Red's Uniform stockings. Then Joey shot somebody dead and was for awhile called "Killer-Joe". Then about 2 years later he shot somebody in the head, TWICE, and was from then on known as "Bang-Bang Joey". See, there's even room for improvement on a good, sturdy nickname!!!

CGC books: I take the cardboard CGC used to separate each slabbed book from knocking against each other, lay it down, put the CGC book on it...wrap everything up with 4 sheets of bubble-wrap (horizontal and vertical, so the entire surface is protected), then put down another cardboard piece CGC used to pack the books when sending them to me, and wrap tape around to keep everything nice and snug. Then I put it in a priority mail box and use peanuts/crumpled paper to prevent any movement. If I can spare the box, I put one priority mail box with the packed comic into another that is slightly larger. Finally, I seal the box, wrap tape around to prevent flaps from becoming loose. One comment I received in my feedback recently when I sent an CGC UXM 129 this way was "gorilla proof packing." laugh.gif

Raw books (no matter their value): if we are talking about 1 to 10 books max, I place all the bagged and boarded comics on top of at LEAST 4 comic backing boards, then wrap everything up with two sheets of bubble-wrap, then I lay down another 4 sheets (at least, less books...MORE backing boards used on both sides) of comic backing boards...wrap with tape. I then place the packed books in a flat rate envelope, carefully fold over the flap untill everything is snug, seal the envelope and finally wrap the bottom, side, and part of the top (do not want to cover the part that says flat rate envelope) with tape.

People absolutely LOVE my packing, and the speed with which they receive their merchandise from me (whether I am sending them DVDs, Laserdiscs, tapes, collectible cups, books, craft items, etc.).

Because of how much care and attention I give to my merchandise when packing, I have become hyper-aware of how many companies send me merchandise in simply a padded envelope to save some $, or throw something in a box without preventing it from moving around (the KEY to preventing damage, even if the post office does nothing rough during the handling of the package, movement over a long trip can damage anything, no matter how-well packed).

I have a packing OOPS story, and I should have known better as an experienced packer, that just because I got lucky that it worked in the past... I discovered that I will NEVER use a padded envelope to send things like LDs...fortunately, I was able to file an insurance claim which got me back my money, and of course allowed me to refund my customer for the damaged goods he received (PO ruined a HTF Jonny Quest Laserdisc that sold for $25.00 on ebay, and I started it at $2.50...sigh).

With Regards

Christopher H

I think every book (CGC or not) needs to be placed in, and taped securely to, a cardboard "sandwich", with the edges of the cardboard extending and inch or so from the edges of the book. Bubble wrap is great, but I think there needs to be some sort of rigid surface in the interior of the box to absorb the heavy hits...

I use the extra large Priority Mail Boxes for CGC graded books. They fit into the smaller ones......but I don't like to take a chance with them. Although I don't sandwich them in between cardboard.........I do pack them on all sides with tons of crumpled up newspaper or foam peanuts. That puts a good inch or two of "dead" space around the entire comic on all sides. Could it be damaged in transit with this method of packaging?......sure.......but they would really have to try.

Yeah, the extra large boxes (the 1095's) are a must. Your point about the dead space is a good one - if the book is "insulated" from the edge by an inch or so of bubble wrap, newspaper, or peanuts, it should survive. Maybe I go overboard, but I've been on the receiving end of one too many poorly packed books... mad.gif

I take printer paper boxes from my office (nice thick cardboard). Cut them to 7.5 x 10.5 inch rectangles. Package the book inside a Golden Age bag with the cardboard, then inside the priority mail envelope, taped shut.

Another great use for the 1095s are as backing boards for the cardboard sandwich. You can cut 4 solid boards out of one 1095, using an exacto. It's time-consuming, but really adds a lot to the safety factor. (I watch TV and cut boards for a couple of hours and it gives me a healthy supply. Nice excuse to watch TV, too).

I sell raw books, with only 2 exceptions, so here is my standard technique:

Each comic is put in a fresh bag & board, then more boards go front and back (outside the bag), and inbetween if there's more than one. I then wrap this in tissue paper to make sure the boards stay with the comics, and to protect everything from stray tape.

Next I put a stiff exacto-cut backing board on top and behind, and tape them together. The stiff boards overhang the comics, but not by a lot -- this provides a buffer space, but doesn't bend the comic. Next, I bubble-wrap around the stiff boards. This very hard mini-box (with the cardboard, it feels like a custom box) goes inside a flat-rate envelope. Because of the bulk, the limit is approx. 4 comics per envelope. If it's more, I do the same as above, but put the finished mini-box in a 1097 with peanuts. With a CGC, the 1097 goes in a 1095 with more peanuts.

98% of my comics are shipped in a flat-rate envelope using this method, and I've never had a complaint. In fact, my feedback is filled with praise about my packing. To me, it's the best way to ship for both safety and value.

-- Joanna

What you guys use to ship CGC-books internationally? I have received only unslabbed comics and always in Global Priority envelopes, but I think slabbed comics don't fit in these.

I once received global priority variable weight box(postage was 10$, but I can't find anything like it in USPS-webpage postage fee calculator). I think it would be ideal for slabbed comics.

Chromium made a nice web page on how to package comics for international shipping.

Yes, there is a variable weight global priority box that works OK, but it's almost too small - you sort of have to tape the top shut in order for it to accomodate the slab. However, the box itself is much sturdier and I've used it several times for shipping CGC books overseas without a problem.

I think every book (CGC or not) needs to be placed in, and taped securely to, a cardboard "sandwich", with the edges of the cardboard extending and inch or so from the edges of the book. Bubble wrap is great, but I think there needs to be some sort of rigid surface in the interior of the box to absorb the heavy hits...

I STRONGLY DISAGREE!!!

For raw books, I totally agree - sandwich them between cardboard and they will arrive safely. For slabbed books - NO. I have received several hundred CGC slabs in the mail, and I have had bad luck with sellers sandwiching them between cardboard. I have found that a "cardboard sandwich" will IMMOBILIZE the CGC slab within the box, providing a rigid surface AGAINST WHICH the slab(s) can and, often will, CRACK.

I think sellers should stick to bubble wrap and soft cushioning like styrofoam peanuts. The peanuts do a great job of absorbing the "heavy hits", as you say, and there is the tiniest bit of "give", so the force of any impact is distributed among the peanuts above, the book, and the peanuts below. In a cardboard sandwich, most of the force is absorbed by the peanuts above and the book, leading to cracked cases.

You may have had good experience shipping CGC books between cardboard, but I have received a statistically significant number of cracked slabs packaged that way to argue otherwise!!

Gene

To clarify further - I always insulate the cardboard sandwich with newspaper, bubble wrap, or peanuts, so the sandwich itself is not against the edges of the box, and I've never heard of one of my slabs arriving damaged. I would not recommend a cardboard sandwich stuck in a box where it can flip-flop around for the reasons you state. Also, without the cardboard, the slab is much more succeptible to puncture type wounds that would poke right through newspaper, bubble wrap, or peanuts to crack the case, but which might not penetrate a stiff piece of cardboard. The one shipment of "damaged" CGC books I received from CGC directly were damaged to due a puncture of the box.

To clarify further - I always insulate the cardboard sandwich with newspaper, bubble wrap, or peanuts, so the sandwich itself is not against the edges of the box

I know, which is why I used the peanuts-cardboard sandwich-peanuts packing structure in describing the physics of how a book gets cracked in the mail. I have had several books packaged this way arrive cracked, which is why I often make the pre-emptive move of telling sellers NOT to use a cardboard sandwich in any form when shipping CGC slabs!!

Gene