• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,262 posts in this topic

Unfortunately the way the artist draws these head-on views of Rex, the poor dog looks like he has no bottom jaw and his tongue is just hanging out of his throat!

Kinda like a Colombian Necktie! :o

btw: that last panel is too frickin' funny! lol

Wow, great Ajax books! Very nice going indeed. I love that apocalyptic horseman cover, very Pat Roberston. smirk.gif

And Pov, may I say that your pre-code checklist is invaluable, wonderful stuff? I made a printout, I'm sure I'll use it often as I try to capture 9.8's of every book on there, hahaha!

I didn't see the Bobby Benson horror cover on your list? I can't remember the issue # offhand, but it's the one with the mad scientist and the hanging heads on the wall. I know BB is a cheeze western title, but it's kinda a classic campy horror cover, doncha think?

That would be issue number 14.excuse me if my posts are so dated.I just discovered this thread two minutes ago.so please bear with me.

There are some scarce pre-code horror books, but I think it's also easy to confuse "scarcity" with "they are being held in collections". For instance, why can I find almost every issue of Mister Mystery for sale except for #12? Was it under-printed, or are they simply in collections? If that is the case, why isn't someone looking to sell when they know that they can get double guide for it? Are they waiting for guide to catch up?

I had a hellish time finding my favorite MM cover - #13. Took me a couple of years of steady searching and ended up buying a CGC 5.5 Fine- (I have since unslabbed it). I always liked MM13 better than all the others, even though 11 and 12 are definitetly more horrific. Just something about the look in the eyes.

mm13.jpg

15 is tuff.have 12 but not 13.Seems it rarely comes up for sale.

I agree completely about issue numbers. A #1 has little significance in pre-code horror, unless it's Eerie #1 or Adventures Into The Unknown #1 or something similar.

Also agree that there aren't enough copies to satisfy the demand for TOT #15 and BCM #50. But give me $900 to spend on a pre-code book, and TOT #15 wouldn't even get consideration from me.

Regarding Horrific #3, I consider it seriously overrated. The cover is pretty bland... especially in comparison to some of Heck's other great covers, including Horrific #7. Somehow Horrific #3 got a reputation as being a classic pre-code book in light of so many other neglected classics.

Agreed.There are some way better covers.MM 6,Dark Mysteries 21(?) and many others im sure.Those were just off the top of my head.

How about what you consider to be the most underpriced pre-code horror book in the current OS guide? I've mentioned some in this thread, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think. I have a few of them.

I have two favorites I have been mentioning for a long time now: Menace 11 and Mister Mystery 13.

I feel both covers are very dynamic and powerful. The Menace stories are just plai good Atlas. The Mister Mystery has some outstanding stories - my fave being the gossips.

Neither are broken out and, alonf with Menace 9, 11 is my favorite Menace issue. MM13 is, in my opinion, subtler than 11 or 12 but much more chilling.

menace11a.jpg

mm13small.jpg

menace9small.jpg

Love this Gene Colan cover - 9 IS borken out in the guide but just think it and 11 are the 2 best Menace issues.

All those zombie covers are great.I really like the whole run with a slight sweet spot for 5.

hail.gif

That really is one of the greatest horror covers ever done. Oh, and I thought of an undervalued book. Beware Terror Tales #8....witches cooking up body parts in the cover. Don't have a copy of it myself... frown.gif

I picked up a copy of that about 8 years ago.Six and seven are cool as well.

I agree completely about issue numbers. A #1 has little significance in pre-code horror, unless it's Eerie #1 or Adventures Into The Unknown #1 or something similar.

Also agree that there aren't enough copies to satisfy the demand for TOT #15 and BCM #50. But give me $900 to spend on a pre-code book, and TOT #15 wouldn't even get consideration from me.

Regarding Horrific #3, I consider it seriously overrated. The cover is pretty bland... especially in comparison to some of Heck's other great covers, including Horrific #7. Somehow Horrific #3 got a reputation as being a classic pre-code book in light of so many other neglected classics.

Agreed.There are some way better covers.MM 6,Dark Mysteries 21(?) and many others im sure.Those were just off the top of my head.

I think that the use of the word "bland" relative to Horrific 3 is quite an understatement. It's a very striking in-your-face image -- for those that like that sort of thing. It probably wouldn't be in my top 10 but then trying to narrow down to a list of top 10 pre-code horror books would drive me nuts.

All those zombie covers are great.I really like the whole run with a slight sweet spot for 5.

mmmmmmm, zombies! :cloud9:

Menace5.jpg

Menace5.jpg

Holy Hanna Batman.Opps wrong forum.What is the grade on that book?Looks 9-9.2?Thanks for posting.Very impressive.

He's got a closet full of impressive books like that

Menace5.jpg

Holy Hanna Batman.Opps wrong forum.What is the grade on that book?Looks 9-9.2?Thanks for posting.Very impressive.

Angelo,

Have you picked up any gems lately?

D

Menace5.jpg

Angelo,

D

Not lately. But eyeing some big books in the CLink auction coming up.

Menace5.jpg

Angelo,

D

Good Luck.Hope you get everything you want!

Menace5.jpg

Angelo,

D

Good Luck.Hope you get everything you want!

lol That may not be such a good thing. If I won everything I want, I'd have to sell body parts to pay for them. Hopefully I'll come away with 3 or 4 really nice books. Hopefully.