• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,263 posts in this topic

Let me get this straight (looking at the back cover), you were supposed to "take off ugly fat" with a Tesla coil?

doh! That's just the plug! A Tesla coil to lose weight, that's absurd! You plug it in, apply to your belly and vibrate the fat away! :insane:

And I guess if you get bored you could "massage" other body parts, too. :o

Gotta love the 50's (thumbs u

Who needs a caption? The eyes alone tell you everything you need to know. Great stuff.

eyes.jpg

lol Not sure those eyes could be any wider!

That's a wonderful cover but I'd love to hear what you think of the stories, AtlasT!

Edited by adamstrange

This just in:

jim5a.jpg

One of my favorite Atlas horror covers as well. Absurd that OS arbitrarily drops the price after issue 4, when this cover is so much cooler. At least it makes the book more affordable.

FANTASTIC Bill Everett!!!

Maybe the BEST cover artist of the fifties. Or for that matter...ever!!

Certainly one of the best. I have a hard time giving THE best title to any one artist, though Everett is second to no one when it comes to pre-code horror covers. Atlas seemed to shy away from overt gore, so his covers aren't the most gruesome (always a plus with PCH), but they are beautifully rendered and eeriely moody. I can't think of another artist who could draw a close up of a frightened man fleeing from hooded figures with such effect.