• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,262 posts in this topic

I guess you could call this a Pre-code purchase since it was modeled after a Pre-code book. :cloud9:

When I first saw the cover to "The City of The Living Dead" I put it in the back of my mind that if I were to ever have Josh do a commission I would have him recreate that cover in his style. Well this summer I decided to have a commission done and that is exactly what I had him do. The piece arrived the other day and I absolutely love it. I had high expectations and Josh absolutely blew my expectations out of the water. I told him to make the piece his own as well as have fun with it and he definitely did. When I sent him an email telling him the piece had arrived he sent an email back telling he had a blast working on the piece. You can really tell he had fun doing it. :cloud9::headbang:

Link to CAF with the piece.

CityofTheLivingDead.jpg

WOW! That is simply amazing, I love it!

I'm a fan of that book too and this is a fantastic "modern" update to that cover.

Who is the artist Josh (might have missed his mention somewhere) as he made this cover even more menacing than the the original.

Nice score! (worship)

I threw in the original title and text just for laughs, looks pretty neat IMHO!

66341.jpg.937e8d9c25f2cc1231e37f33ff763d9b.jpg

:banana:

This board and the people on it rock. Socratic Wonder (and at least one other bidder) left me in the dust on a 4.0 of this book on ComicLink recently. Then he sold his copy to GreatEscape, who apparently had this measly 3.0. GreatEscape then flipped his 3.0 to me, who sent my check for the 3.0 to Socratic Wonder as partial payment for Great Escape's book. As all these shenanigans are going on, everyone trusted each other enough to put the books and money in the mail. I've got the book and I don't even know if the check has made it to the bank yet.

Now I just need to crack this out of the slab so I can find out about The Mystery of Indian D*ck.

Crime-DNP-24.jpg

So, anyone got a Fight Against Crime #20 they want to sell?

I guess you could call this a Pre-code purchase since it was modeled after a Pre-code book. :cloud9:

When I first saw the cover to "The City of The Living Dead" I put it in the back of my mind that if I were to ever have Josh do a commission I would have him recreate that cover in his style. Well this summer I decided to have a commission done and that is exactly what I had him do. The piece arrived the other day and I absolutely love it. I had high expectations and Josh absolutely blew my expectations out of the water. I told him to make the piece his own as well as have fun with it and he definitely did. When I sent him an email telling him the piece had arrived he sent an email back telling he had a blast working on the piece. You can really tell he had fun doing it. :cloud9::headbang:

Link to CAF with the piece.

CityofTheLivingDead.jpg

WOW! That is simply amazing, I love it!

I'm a fan of that book too and this is a fantastic "modern" update to that cover.

Who is the artist Josh (might have missed his mention somewhere) as he made this cover even more menacing than the the original.

Nice score! (worship)

I threw in the original title and text just for laughs, looks pretty neat IMHO!

Thanks, Jayman. It looks awesome with the title and text. :)

Josh Howard is an indie comic artist. He is best known for his comic series Dead@17, Lost Books of Eve, and Black Harvest. Here is a link to Josh's website. There is just something about Josh's art that I just can't get enough of. If you want to see some more of Josh's work just check out my Comicartfans page in my sigline and you will find a lot more pages. :cloud9::headbang:

Thanks for the info on Josh Howard, looked familiar but couldn't place it! (thumbs u

Here's a recent pick-up from Heritage...saw this book posted a while back here on the boards and had to add it to my want list.

My first Ziff-Davis and a Shomburg cover to boot! :cloud9:

AmazingAdventures2.jpg

Gorgeous books guys.

I haven't shown a book in awhile....but here is a sweetie. Would be an 8.5 if not for the bottom edge. I think I will keep it anyway. My favorite Ditko pre-code horror cover.

Thing!12.1.jpg

Thing!12.2.jpg

Edited by Wrightson fan

Gorgeous books guys.

I haven't shown a book in awhile....but here is a sweetie. Would be an 8.5 if not for the bottom edge. I think I will keep it anyway. My favorite Ditko pre-code horror cover.

Thing!12.1.jpg

Thing!12.2.jpg

Overrated... zzz

:jokealert:(worship)

I agree Jay....it is a piece of garbage. :devil:

Another recent book.....and a sick cover. The explosion itself is horrifying as it captures the moment in freeze frame...but to blow up a kid who already has to use a cane? Ditko pulled no punches in the early part of his career.....thank goodness.

:devil: :devil:

RSIA12.1.jpg

RSIA12.2.jpg

Wrightson and Scrooge, two KILLER books! (worship)

That explosion cover seems pretty innocent at first glance till you see how the clothes are being ripped off from the force!

The UC #7...to me that cover is a study in facial expression, one is better than the next. From the smug looking thug,

the look of terror on the gal, the surprise and shock on the tied up guy, right to the brutally unemotional stare of the other thug with the iron.

What a cover! :applause:

Wrightson and Scrooge, two KILLER books! (worship)

That explosion cover seems pretty innocent at first glance till you see how the clothes are being ripped off from the force!

The UC #7...to me that cover is a study in facial expression, one is better than the next. From the smug looking thug,

the look of terror on the gal, the surprise and shock on the tied up guy, right to the brutally unemotional stare of the other thug with the iron.

What a cover! :applause:

Agreed!

Two of my favorite pre-code crime covers!

Another one received today -- Lost Worlds 6, December 1952 (yeah!), Standard.

Cool giant ants cover

lostworlds6.jpg

that has nothing whatsoever to do with the fairly tepid science-fiction stories inside, even the cover story. Overstreet notes Toth artwork. Did he draw this cover? Looks probable to me. I'm not sure what he did inside -- not his best work. Maybe the lead story, Men and Fire.

Jack