• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,253 posts in this topic

Very cool book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Is there a story inside to match the cover? Is it any good?

Both the Amazing Detective and the Out of The Night have the cover stories inside. And in the Amazing Detective the guy actually IS in bed through much of his shadow plight! thumbsup2.gif

Somebody must've wanted it badly. Incidentally, one of those "181 vintage comics" auctions at better than 3,000 so far, seemed to have a nice-looking Weird Mysteries #4 and a nice-appearing Voodoo annual in it. Of course, the "grading" is in 3 categories: "poor", "OK" and "new". A gamble to be sure...

Nice pre-code "filler"?

Hows the interior art?

Ahh - you see, I am assembling a collection of one copy of each pre-code TITLE (not issue). So 1 copy of Tales From The Crypt and 1 copy of Mysterious Adventures etc. I did not have a Witchcraft yet and this one fills in that slot. So not a "filler" as you may mean.

Interior art is middling. Average pre-code horror art. Nothing amzing but some amusing bits!

Here's another copy of Black Cat Mystery #50 on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Cat-Mystery-50...1QQcmdZViewItem

Selling for $330 currently with Al Stoltz' Basement Comics as the high bidder. I can't imagine how he's going to spend that kind of money on the book and make more than that by selling at a show. That's a strong price already, as far as I'm concerned. I steer clear of spending big bucks on the Harvey books. Nice stuff, but the prices seem higher than they should be, especially when compared to other iconic pre-code covers. I spent $125 a piece on low-grade copies of BCM #50 and TOT #15 and called it a day. I don't foresee myself upgrading unless a deal falls into my lap.

Here's another copy of Black Cat Mystery #50 on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Cat-Mystery-50...1QQcmdZViewItem

Selling for $330 currently with Al Stoltz' Basement Comics as the high bidder. I can't imagine how he's going to spend that kind of money on the book and make more than that by selling at a show. That's a strong price already, as far as I'm concerned. I steer clear of spending big bucks on the Harvey books. Nice stuff, but the prices seem higher than they should be, especially when compared to other iconic pre-code covers. I spent $125 a piece on low-grade copies of BCM #50 and TOT #15 and called it a day. I don't foresee myself upgrading unless a deal falls into my lap.

BCM #50 is a "classic cover" and always seems to be in demand. I know it's high on my precode wantlist.

Didn't we have a discussion about this just a while back when a VG copy sold for 3x guide?

EDIT: Yes, we did. Al Stolz must be hoarding BCM #50.

Edited by Norinn Radd