• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,257 posts in this topic

Not a new purchase, bought this a few years ago. Cracked it out and recently discovered (because perhaps I'm a dummbaz) that it's the 2nd highest graded. It's the only 6.5 and there's one higher (a 9.2!) anyone got a nice copy? I had a few VG or lower copies before this one.

133535.jpg.d49118dc92073afc62be46fd9b7c1f06.jpg

Not a new purchase, bought this a few years ago. Cracked it out and recently discovered (because perhaps I'm a dummbaz) that it's the 2nd highest graded. It's the only 6.5 and there's one higher (a 9.2!) anyone got a nice copy? I had a few VG or lower copies before this one.

Great looking copy! Don't blame you for breaking it out, I always enjoyed the Mister Mystery stories. Don't think I ever owned this one though

Have one, but not as nice as yours -- about a G/VG. Great book! :)

Tough book to find in decent grade, trust me I have been looking.

Here's my copy (sorry for the crappy scan):

mm18.jpg

Here's my copy (sorry for the crappy scan):

mm18.jpg

Such a lurid cover. Nice copy.

I'm looking for some opinions, guys --

Do you think money spent on a non-classic cover HG pre-code book would be better spent on a low/mid-grade classic cover instead?

I know that in the end it is a personal decision (and you should never spend more than you can afford).

But, some HG non-classic covers are still very expensive, and I think many of us keep resale value in the back of our mind, even if we're not planning on doing it any time soon.

Thanks!

Do you think money spent on a non-classic cover HG pre-code book would be better spent on a low/mid-grade classic cover instead?

I know that in the end it is a personal decision (and you should never spend more than you can afford).

But, some HG non-classic covers are still very expensive, and I think many of us keep resale value in the back of our mind, even if we're not planning on doing it any time soon.

Thanks!

I think a lot depends on what titles you're going after. Some titles have never held anywhere near their guide values. For the most part you can never go wrong with HG PCH. As for the classic covers, just be patient and don't buy what's the current hot book at crazy multiples, they all seem to trend and the majority of them are not rare. 2c

Thanks!

I think it really comes down the book, the grade and the price. There are some classic covers that have shot in to the stratosphere in even mid-high grade, to a point where I'd hesitate to project investment opportunity, and others that still seem to have plenty of room to grow. The highest demand books seem unchanged for 20 years or more and have gotten pretty expensive in low grade, but demand never seems to wain.

On a personal level, I think the nicer the artwork ( not to be confused with graphic content), the better a high grade book looks. There are a lot of excellent Atlas covers that fall short of generally recognized "classic" status, but really pop in higher grade, and while not cheap, are often no more than a lower grade "classic". There are some really memorable Everett, Heath and Anderson covers that only command a modest premium ( often less than double) over a more run of the mill Burgos cover in the same run as compared to the 5 and 10 fold jumps breakout "classic" covers for other companies sometimes command.

I guess the old adage of buy what you like in the best grade you can find, at a price you're comfortable with, is still the best advice.

If a cover resonates with you it is always worth buying in high grade, whether others call it classic or not. The "classic cover" designation is pretty arbitrary anyway. The books with covers that are the most recognizable, reproduced, or available seem to get that designation. Yet there are many covers that are outstanding that don't get the hoopla until they get posted a few times. Then all of the sudden they are hot and "classic". So if you dig a book, buy it. Then post it here. If it is really cool everyone will ohh and ahhh. It will get added to many want lists. All the dealers will get requests. They will start looking and asking around for copies. Then one will appear in an auction and go for an exorbitant price.

Bingo! Instant Classic!