• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
42 42

22,399 posts in this topic

Nice stuff. Those who would take a high grade css 22 over a Venus 19 in high grade are welcome to their choice, but css 22 is so much easier a book - going back to before it got hot. I have two copies of css 22 - zero of Venus 19 - so that probably colors my opinion. :)

I agree. No question that Venus 19 is much, much tougher to find than CSS 22 across all grades....

I would take a Venus 19 in a heartbeat over CSS 22. I have one of the former, and have owned at least four or five copies of the latter. Venus is much, MUCH tougher and about even in terms of coolness.

All things being equal I personally like the cover on CSS 22 a little better. I just think it's a little more of a shocking cover where as the other is a little more ghoulish super natural.

That's just my preference of subject matter though, with the calibre of art not really having anything to do with it.

Wow!!!! congrats Michael. Those are just gorgeous books. That DM 19 is really sharp. Are these raw copies that you had and then submitted?

Thanks Adam - yes, both were part of an OO collection sold by Jim Payette years ago. I happened to phone him one day and asked if he had a Dark Mysteries #19 and he said, "Yes, I'm looking at one right now." I said, "What grade is it?" And he replied, "looks about near mint." I asked how much he wanted for it, but out of consideration for you and others I wont say how cheaply I got it.

I then proceeded to ask, "Venus #19? Chilling Tales #16? Tormented #1? Menace #4?"

Plus a couple of others I had at the top of my wants list at the time. He had them all. I was very poor at the time, or I'd have asked about other books.

The Chilling Tales and the Tormented are still with me, the others long gone, and the pair are currently being graded. I don't think they will do quite as well, but we will see!

That's a great story Michael, I love hearing how people come across their books, especially ones as tough and special as these. I'm hoping I get as lucky one day...

DM 19 is scratched off my list, now for the Venus. Patience is a virtue. ;)

I would take a Venus 19 in a heartbeat over CSS 22. I have one of the former, and have owned at least four or five copies of the latter. Venus is much, MUCH tougher and about even in terms of coolness.

+1

Just my opinion, but the ST 28 cover is the most impressive cover (use of colors, composition, ink/line work, subject matter) I have seen. I think I would fall out of my chair if I saw it in high grade.

That being said I also believe the Venus 19 surpasses CS 22 only because the Venus is unlike anything else and the CS 22 is similar/derivative of some of the other CS series covers.

I am surprised the ST 28 cover image hasn't been co-opted by others over the years. This goes for the CS 22 cover too, could easily be put on t-shirts, band posters, stickers etc. for whatever purpose.

Johnny

+1

Just my opinion, but the ST 28 cover is the most impressive cover (use of colors, composition, ink/line work, subject matter) I have seen. I think I would fall out of my chair if I saw it in high grade.

That being said I also believe the Venus 19 surpasses CS 22 only because the Venus is unlike anything else and the CS 22 is similar/derivative of some of the other CS series covers.

I am surprised the ST 28 cover image hasn't been co-opted by others over the years. This goes for the CS 22 cover too, could easily be put on t-shirts, band posters, stickers etc. for whatever purpose.

Johnny

Can't disagree with you on the coolness/technical capabilities shown in the ST #28 cover -- I believe Harry Anderson was the artist. It is beautiful and definitely frightening! But unlike Chamber of Chills #19 (don't know if the Misfits ever got "permission" to make that cover famous in any case) I would imagine the Strange Tales #28 is copyrighted under Marvel, and CSS #22 most definitely is under William Gaines' estate, so you'll never see band stuff, stickers, etc. unless they're bootlegs, or they somehow get the license to produce stuff using the art.

I love the metallic inks on that cover. :cloud9:

Unfortunately the spine is completely split owing to inferior cover stock

Absolutely as expected. Not an easy book in low grade as PCH goes, but a devil in high grade because, for some strange reason, CGC really knocks down spine splits. Go Figure!

Speaking of rare horror books, here is another recent pick up. .

Arguably in the top five scarcest PCH books.

WorldsofFear210_zpsdc27a49c.jpg

Speaking of rare horror books, here is another recent pick up. Unfortunately the spine is completely split owing to inferior cover stock - otherwise this would be quite nice.

Arguably in the top five scarcest PCH books.

WorldsofFear210_zpsdc27a49c.jpg

Quite a few of these Fawcette horror books seem to be somewhat scarce. The Worlds of Fear #9 I recently picked up has only 3 graded copies, there seems to be only 2 graded copies of the #2.

Speaking of rare horror books, here is another recent pick up. Unfortunately the spine is completely split owing to inferior cover stock - otherwise this would be quite nice.

That's the same problem as the This Mag is Haunted # 3. A lot of them have horrible spine split.

Still. Uber-cool book. Was advertised on the back of this one -

DownWithCrime3_zps2504fcf7.jpg

DownWithCrime3BCs_zps10c0ffb4.jpg

That's the same problem as the This Mag is Haunted # 3. A lot of them have horrible spine split.

Both printed in the same month so somehow the printer used lousy cover stock when they printed the books.

Both printed in the same month so somehow the printer used lousy cover stock when they printed the books.

Same problem with this one.

ManFromPlanetX50.jpg

+1

Johnny

Can't disagree with you on the coolness/technical capabilities shown in the ST #28 cover -- I believe Harry Anderson was the artist. It is beautiful and definitely frightening! But unlike Chamber of Chills #19 (don't know if the Misfits ever got "permission" to make that cover famous in any case) I would imagine the Strange Tales #28 is copyrighted under Marvel, and CSS #22 most definitely is under William Gaines' estate, so you'll never see band stuff, stickers, etc. unless they're bootlegs, or they somehow get the license to produce stuff using the art.

Yeah I agree, was thinking someone co-opting without any legal basis for doing so.

I would like to see a list from some of the serious horror aficionados of the top 10 any order and then try to come up with an order. Has this been done?

They might arguably include

This Mag is Haunted #3

Worlds of Fear #2

Beware #10

Dark Mysteries #10

Venus #19

Men's Adventures #25

I would like to see a list from some of the serious horror aficionados of the top 10 any order and then try to come up with an order. Has this been done?

They might arguably include

This Mag is Haunted #3

Worlds of Fear #2

Beware #10

Dark Mysteries #10

Venus #19

Men's Adventures #25

Love the cover to MA 25.

4D42DF2B-DB48-4B22-B158-B3FA9FEB06A7-5394-000003F65B2F6E2E.jpg