• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,258 posts in this topic

Actually gojira, you're being too hard on your book. For a precode, that's a very respectable and solid appearance, with great cover colors. A more trashed book would be one with tape pulls, color loss and color breaking creases, pieces missing, large cover tears. Overall, there's nothing much wrong with your copy, and it would fit very nicely in my collection of precodes. :)

..... you forgot significant color loss due to being stuck to other books in a damp treefort.... which was the only place they could be kept where The Mom wouldn't immediately toss them out.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

too true jimbo, and that's just what my mom would've done, too! lol

Actually gojira, you're being too hard on your book. For a precode, that's a very respectable and solid appearance, with great cover colors. A more trashed book would be one with tape pulls, color loss and color breaking creases, pieces missing, large cover tears. Overall, there's nothing much wrong with your copy, and it would fit very nicely in my collection of precodes. :)

..... you forgot significant color loss due to being stuck to other books in a damp treefort.... which was the only place they could be kept where The Mom wouldn't immediately toss them out.... GOD BLESS...

too true jimbo, and that's just what my mom would've done, too! lol

yup.......right after the paddling. GOD BLESS...

..... I always pretended like they were excrutiating.... so Ma wouldn't escalate the event to Dad when he got home from work..... GOD BLESS...

This is my very first Golden Age book. It also happened to be a pre-code. It does suffer from being rat food in the bottom right corner. If it were not for that, it looks like it would have been a really sweet conditioned book. That being said, I'm not unhappy with this at all. I love the Chamber of Chills books.

chamber_chills_19.jpg

This is my very first Golden Age book. It also happened to be a pre-code. It does suffer from being rat food in the bottom right corner. If it were not for that, it looks like it would have been a really sweet conditioned book. That being said, I'm not unhappy with this at all. I love the Chamber of Chills books.

chamber_chills_19.jpg

Congrats on your first GA book. I'm sure it won't be your last, GA is addictive.

Always a favorite ever since I saw the cover reproduced in an article about Frankenstein in the comics.

0011_zpsa0f56cd1.jpg

I've always liked this one as well! :applause:

Always a favorite ever since I saw the cover reproduced in an article about Frankenstein in the comics.

0011_zpsa0f56cd1.jpg

I guess you're right about this. Maybe it's because I like my silver age books (except key's) in higher grades. There are still a lot of small tears and color breaking creases on the book though and it really smalls bad.

Here's a couple I don't think I've posted before.

weirdmysteries4fga_zpsd11fcf16.jpg

Now that's cool! I've been trying to find this book at a decent price for some time now! The only Wolverton horror/sci-fi book I managed to get my hands on is Mister Mystery 7. I had a Weird Tales of the Future 2 in bad shape, but I sold that when I sold my collection in 2001/2002.

Congrats, This is a really great book to own!!!

Here's a couple I don't think I've posted before.

weirdmysteries4fga_zpsd11fcf16.jpg

Now that's cool! I've been trying to find this book at a decent price for some time now! The only Wolverton horror/sci-fi book I managed to get my hands on is Mister Mystery 7. I had a Weird Tales of the Future 2 in bad shape, but I sold that when I sold my collection in 2001/2002.

Congrats, This is a really great book to own!!!

That book is somewhat popular around here...

Nice book. gojira, if you want a Weird Mysteries #4 or 5, in whatever shape, to get one you may need to adjust your notion of what's a "reasonable price." :) Good luck!

Thanks! I would go for 1.5 times guide, but not more.

Hmm. Unfortunately I think you're going to find yourself priced out of those issues, then, unless you luck onto someone who thinks the guide prices for them are accurate. They haven't gone for anything less than multiples of guide for many years now!

To get an idea of the current market, you could check completed eBay auctions, the Heritage archives, and ask around here what some folks paid for their copies. You could also try GPA, or ask someone who has a subscription.

I too have neither issue, but would think I'd need to save 700-1000 to get a copy of either in something like VG, VG+ or VG/F (which would be "high grade" for these and in my precode grade range wheelhouse.) Perhaps a bit less for an eye-appealing G or G/VG, but not by much.

The prices are what they are -- I wish you luck in your search! Would also be interested in hearing if I'm off-base in my pricing perceptions for these. :)

Hmm. Unfortunately I think you're going to find yourself priced out of those issues, then, unless you luck onto someone who thinks the guide prices for them are accurate. They haven't gone for anything less than multiples of guide for many years now!

To get an idea of the current market, you could check completed eBay auctions, the Heritage archives, and ask around here what some folks paid for their copies. You could also try GPA, or ask someone who has a subscription.

I too have neither issue, but would think I'd need to save 700-1000 to get a copy of either in something like VG, VG+ or VG/F (which would be "high grade" for these and in my precode grade range wheelhouse.) Perhaps a bit less for an eye-appealing G or G/VG, but not by much.

The prices are what they are -- I wish you luck in your search! Would also be interested in hearing if I'm off-base in my pricing perceptions for these. :)

I guess you are right, I just checked and saw that I paid $700 for my mister mystery 7 which is a graded 4.5. That comes to over 2 times guide. Well, one never knows, with a lot of patience and a bit of luck......

Thanks for your input!!

Weird Mysteries 4 and 5 are definitely "throw the guide away" books. 4 in particular is very hard to find and goes for big bucks when it turns up in any condition.