• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
42 42

22,400 posts in this topic

I agree, I think the JIM #6 Everett Cover blows away the cover on Strange Tales that sold for $2655. Both books do not have examples in 8.0 or better too. So the 6/7 range is pretty much the best you can find on this book.

Atlas horror in 6.0 or better has always been strong, IIRC Harley used to ask twice as much for a FN as he did a VG back in the nineties, and lately those gaps have gotten much wider, and when you have a book that isn't slabbed in high grade, it looks like bidders can drive the price into the stratosphere, where you have anything over 6.0 ( especially a nice looking one like the JIM) getting multiples over a VG that one would normally expect for a 9.2/9.4 copy.

Still the JIM 6 price was pretty impressive, but I think the price is an outlier more than a benchmark. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the underbidders aren't a bit relieved that they lost out.

One good thing to look forward to is that after seeing some of these prices realized, there might be more nice copies coming to market from some long time collectors.

I think you could be right Jay. Time will tell.

There will be River City, Northford, Bethlehem, Spokane, and even some Mile High's of many of these..... but those NEVER change hands much (except the odd lower grade example)...... I would have no idea who has the MH Atlas precodes.... and that collection ran through to '54 I believe..... they were 20 bucks a piece back in "77 (or less). They won't have the distributor codes to aid identification. Many of those collections were scattered to the wind. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree, I think the JIM #6 Everett Cover blows away the cover on Strange Tales that sold for $2655. Both books do not have examples in 8.0 or better too. So the 6/7 range is pretty much the best you can find on this book.

Atlas horror in 6.0 or better has always been strong, IIRC Harley used to ask twice as much for a FN as he did a VG back in the nineties, and lately those gaps have gotten much wider, and when you have a book that isn't slabbed in high grade, it looks like bidders can drive the price into the stratosphere, where you have anything over 6.0 ( especially a nice looking one like the JIM) getting multiples over a VG that one would normally expect for a 9.2/9.4 copy.

Still the JIM 6 price was pretty impressive, but I think the price is an outlier more than a benchmark. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the underbidders aren't a bit relieved that they lost out.

One good thing to look forward to is that after seeing some of these prices realized, there might be more nice copies coming to market from some long time collectors.

I think you could be right Jay. Time will tell.

There will be River City, Northford, Bethlehem, Spokane, and even some Mile High's of many of these..... but those NEVER change hands much (except the odd lower grade example)...... I would have no idea who has the MH Atlas precodes.... and that collection ran through to '54 I believe..... they were 20 bucks a piece back in "77 (or less). They won't have the distributor codes to aid identification. Many of those collections were scattered to the wind. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This is true, but if you look through the original MH guide some of these titles were sporadic, Strange Tales is an example. MH Marvel Tales only ran from 93-109 I believe.

However, there are complete runs in the Northford pedigree and maybe some of the other big pedigrees - AS should know.

There are 399 pre-code Atlas horror books and many of the titles were monthly. In general, you won't find a complete set of issues for a title from a single pedigree. It's more common that you have Church copies of many early issues, Spokane copies of many middle of the run issues, WMs early, middle & late but with gaps etc.

I agree not a benchmark. I would be surprised if another 6.5 of either book sold for close to this amount.

I am waiting for a solid Menace 5 to be auctioned through Sparklecity...I shudder to think where that auction ends up.

I agree with you both. I wasn't in the hunt for that JIM #6, but sure would like to get a decent-looking good copy one day! :)

I agree not a benchmark. I would be surprised if another 6.5 of either book sold for close to this amount.

I am waiting for a solid Menace 5 to be auctioned through Sparklecity...I shudder to think where that auction ends up.

By the time another 6.5 comes up for sale who knows (shrug) It could be another 7 years before we find out.

Menace #5 is my personal favorite comic book of any era or genre. I'd be excited to see a nice one come up for sale.

Menace #5 is a great book (I don't have one) but I think the cover is "just OK" (though I do like it) compared to its contents. I do think a truly highgrade copy would fetch an impressive price realized nowadays, but perhaps not as much as other Atlas books with more "classic" covers (and of course that's in the eye of the beholder.)

By the time another 6.5 comes up for sale who knows (shrug) It could be another 7 years before we find out.

Menace #5 is my personal favorite comic book of any era or genre. I'd be excited to see a nice one come up for sale.

Menace #5 is a great book (I don't have one) but I think the cover is "just OK" (though I do like it) compared to its contents. I do think a truly highgrade copy would fetch an impressive price realized nowadays, but perhaps not as much as other Atlas books with more "classic" covers (and of course that's in the eye of the beholder.)

I am a fan of the cover - ZOMBIE emblazoned across it and a zombie rising from the earth - tough to beat. Plus the contents are excellent and of course it is a first appearance book, which is very, very rare for the pre-code Atlas horror genre (Menace 11 is the only other I can think of).

Also, it may be the most difficult to locate of any of the key pre-code Atlas horror books...IMHO. I have only seen 2 for sale in the last 2 years one was a 1.0-1.5.

cee4fdc9-3528-4127-b30b-3e6f29f334f3_zpsa7a4c502.jpg

Edited by Johnny545

I am a fan of the cover - ZOMBIE emblazoned across it and a zombie rising from the earth - tough to beat. Plus the contents are excellent and of course it is a first appearance book, which is very, very rare for the pre-code Atlas horror genre (Menace 11 is the only other I can think of).

Also, it may be the most difficult to locate of any of the key pre-code Atlas horror books...IMHO. I have only seen 2 for sale in the last 2 years one was a 1.0-1.5.

I agree Johnny. I love the Everett cover personally. Obviously, if the Everett Zombie used in the story was featured on the cover - this book would be absolutely volatile, so I can see Originalisbest's point too. I've owned 3 copies of the book over the years. I had a 2.5, which I got certified myself. It was actually a really nice copy except it had a huge bug chew on the URC corner IIRC. Sold that unfortunately. I owned a CGC 6.5 with OWW which I REALLY regret selling. I think I got $800 for it. :facepalm:

Killer example btw.

Edited by Comixcroz

I agree Johnny. I love the Everett cover personally. Obviously, if the Everett Zombie used in the story was featured on the cover - this book would be absolutely volatile, so I can see Originalisbest's point too. I've owned 3 copies of the book over the years. I had a 2.5, which I got certified myself. It was actually a really nice copy except it had a huge bug chew on the URC corner IIRC. Sold that unfortunately. I owned a CGC 6.5 with OWW which I REALLY regret selling. I think I got $800 for it. :facepalm:

Killer example btw.

I agree that if Simon Garth was on the cover it would have made a huge difference. The interior pencils on Menace 5 are some of his best work (imho). Menace 5 has very little in the census and with the page quality of the 50's books I doubt any more will surface and hit a 9.0............... but, you never know.

Edited by crimson dynamo

It's just a nice copy.

grace kelly was just a nice looking girl, then.

Not long ago I watched To Catch a Thief, restored on Blu-ray, and she positively glowed. :luhv: