• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,284 posts in this topic

OUR SECRET no. 5....not pictured on the GCD or in the GERBER ( I don't think)...anyway...here is a picture of a VG that is miscut...but still beautiful......

Also a pic of a typical interior story page.....VERY WORDY....

oursecretno5.jpg

IM002479.jpg

is superior romance as wonderfully wonky as their horror?

I'd say yes. I have 2 Superior Romance books (see below). Nothing out of the ordinary at first sight in Love and Marriage but Secret Romances is wonkier. First, I find the cover to be one of the steamiest in Romance comics. Second, here are 2 stories summaries.

First story: Stormy Love: Lee and Bob are riding on a train in the wintertime. Once at their destination, a snow storm is blowing in. Lee can't get to where she is awaited so Bob offers to shelter her in his shack and they end up getting snowed in. Lee mentions that she came here to get married to George while Bob will marry Sally. Finally rescued, Lee goes away but forget one piece of luggage. Bob goes to meet Sally who announces she will marry George! Bob goes back to his shack and Lee, on her way out of town, comes by for her luggage. Imagine that: another storm snows them in!! ... and, of course, they announce to each other than they are in fact relieved from being released from their promises and want to get married. Indeed, a Stormy Love.

Second story: That Woman! Young man wants to marry a showgirl. Showgirl is introduced to the family and someone recognizes her as a dancer in the show. She leaves humiliated. The young man's father comes to her place and shows a picture of his wife in her dancing outfit. Yes, future mother-in-law herself once was that woman!

So, yes, a little wonkier than your typical Romance fare.

41244-LoveandMarriage1.jpg.9b46eb6a4238a921ca1b28965fec6316.jpg

41245-SecretRomances6s.jpg.68814814c872f437a92516e4db6c2e34.jpg

41246-SecretRomances6Story3s.jpg.99cdae3a43ca7303439138785fb22a5f.jpg

THIS MAG IS HAUNTED #3...I have seen about three copies in the last six months or so. Unfortunately each one suffered from the same spine split. Comic Link had one in FINE for $400 (?)...but I was too late...It was listed as PENDING SALE by the time I saw it....DARN.

Got these from Golddust, who was nice enough to be patient while we worked out a deal. The MM is the most expensive book I have yet purchased, but it's also the one of the coolest. I really never thought I would own a copy...

mm12-1.jpg

planet70.jpg

Ya-Zoo! Nice books! (worship)

As much as I like the MM, seeing it side by side with that Planet, I think the Planet blows it away! :o

You really need to post these sweet books one at a time so I don't have to compare... :insane:

As much as I like the MM, seeing it side by side with that Planet, I think the Planet blows it away! :o

Really?!? Wow. Artisitically and technically Whitman may have done a better job, but Baily's image is so jarring and the closeup is so extreme I think that not only is it better than the Planet, I think it's one of the best three or four horror covers of all time. It's the kind of thing you could show a non-comic person and get more than just a quick look and muttered "Oh yeah. Cool.". Those are the kind of books I really like, books with covers that elicit a reaction from anyone who sees them, not just enthusiasts.

The Planet is pretty cool though, isn't it? :cloud9:

That's exactly what I mean though. The MM is so raw an image, it's like a slap in the face! Crude and to the point. Great for horror btw.

While the Planet IMO is more pleasing to the eye (no pun intended ;)) overall with great colors!

Don't mean to take away anything from the MM but as much as I would love to own a copy of #12, I personally am not crazy about this cover.

I know I'll get a :screwy: for saying it to but it's how I feel, not one of my top covers.

That's exactly what I mean though. The MM is so raw an image, it's like a slap in the face! Crude and to the point. Great for horror btw.

While the Planet IMO is more pleasing to the eye (no pun intended ;)) overall with great colors!

Don't mean to take away anything from the MM but as much as I would love to own a copy of #12, I personally am not crazy about this cover.

I know I'll get a :screwy: for saying it to but it's how I feel, not one of my top covers.

I understand what you mean, I have talked to a few people who don't like the MM 12...the image is too much for them. I have my limits too, a lot of people on here love Phil Hale, but I find most of his stuff too disturbing to look at.

The late run Planets are favorites of mine, and I would rank Maurice Whitman at number one on the list of criminally underrated golden age artists. The colors are nice on that copy, but the MM really puts it to shame. The red in the banner is so bright it leaves an after-image.

I understand what you mean, I have talked to a few people who don't like the MM 12...the image is too much for them. I have my limits too, a lot of people on here love Phil Hale, but I find most of his stuff too disturbing to look at.

The late run Planets are favorites of mine, and I would rank Maurice Whitman at number one on the list of criminally underrated golden age artists. The colors are nice on that copy, but the MM really puts it to shame. The red in the banner is so bright it leaves an after-image.

Also, maybe due to the fact that I am so familiar with the cover image to MM #12 and that I'm becoming attracted to the FH books. I'm really drawn to the way Whitman draws the women's faces, especially around the eyes. It's a very distinct style I'm liking more and more.

So maybe I was a bit harsh saying the Planet "Blows Away" the MM. I'll refrase that to:

*ahem* being a horror head, I was particularly surprised that I found myself liking the Planet moreover the discustingly sweet MM #12! :foryou:

Also, maybe due to the fact that I am so familiar with the cover image to MM #12 and that I'm becoming attracted to the FH books. I'm really drawn to the way Whitman draws the women's faces, especially around the eyes. It's a very distinct style I'm liking more and more.

So maybe I was a bit harsh saying the Planet "Blows Away" the MM. I'll refrase that to:

*ahem* being a horror head, I was particularly surprised that I found myself liking the Planet moreover the discustingly sweet MM #12! :foryou:

lol Much better!

I am collecting Fiction House because of Whitman. Without his cover art I don't think I would have ever bought one.

I'm really drawn to the way Whitman draws the women's faces, especially around the eyes.

Yeah, I'm quite drawn to those FACES as well. The way he accentuates the EYES really moves me.

(It is sooo refreshing to see an artist refrain from drawing a large bosom and bare, shapely legs)

Edited by MrBedrock