• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cgc-mylars on ebay. False Advertising. NOT Mylar **Updated with sample test**

85 posts in this topic

Anyone have bags for their slabs from either of these ebay sellers?

The danc6433 bag is clearly not Mylar. It is BOPP polypropylene. Actual cost is about 1/5 of mylar.

I assume the cgc-mylars bag is also BOPP polypropylene, since I can't find anyone who actually manufacturers a light weight (under 2 mil) Mylar with a resealable strip.

****Edit The cgc-mylars sample bag was proven to be NOT Mylar (see test below)

****Edit June 9, 2013: All the cgc-mylars listings were pulled, but are now back up again.

****Edit July 6, 2013: danc6433 revised his listings to remove the Mylar claim from them.

I have quite a few of the CGC bags from cgc-mylars.

What are you asking?

He's asking if they are really made out of mylar.

+1

As I mentioned, the other "identical" bag from danc6433, is actually BOPP polypropylene rather than mylar.

My guess is that there is nothing written on the actual manufacturer's packaging which claims that the bags are Mylar (polyester film). Or else there is no actual manufacturer's packaging provided from either of these ebay sellers, especially since these are often sold in odd lots (10,15,20,25,40,60,80,120,220)

If they are NOT Mylar, there should also be a distinct material difference between the bags in question and Gerber Mylites2 (as an example of bags made from actual Mylar which boardies may be more familiar with).

It is very difficult to describe the difference in look and feel, but most likely if it feels different, it is not Mylar. Most people notice the rigidity difference between PP and Mylar more than anything else. However you can have a thinner Mylar that will seem less rigid than a 2 mil.

Mylar will usually have a little "static cling" when taking one bag off of a stack or when sliding a comic book in.

If you can fold the flap by running your fingernail over it tightly and it maintains its form, it is likely Mylar.

I can't stretch a mylar bag by hand. I can easily stretch PP bags.

The "bead" at the edge of a Mylar bag is much larger than a polypropylene bag. (this hard to tell unless you have seen lots of Mylar or have one to compare)

Of course there are significant chemical and physical property differences, which translate to significant differences in product life and suitability for archival purposes.

Not to mention that these are selling for Mylar prices, when the equivalent polypropylene price would be around $14 per hundred.

Is this the same guy that is selling "resealable CGC mylar style bags"?

EDIT: I missed the word "style" in your post

These guys claim the bags ARE Mylar. NOT Mylar "style" bags.

All of the listings were gone yesterday, but he relisted them again at noon ET today.

I know the danc6433 bags were NOT Mylar and they were supposed to be identical to the ones from cgc-mylars.

I can't begin to tell you how many "dealers" at conventions try to sell poly or top loaders off as mylar. I give about 20 explanations a show to customers that were ripped off by another dealer, or who want to know the difference between the two.

I can't begin to tell you how many "dealers" at conventions try to sell poly or top loaders off as mylar. I give about 20 explanations a show to customers that were ripped off by another dealer, or who want to know the difference between the two.

for us that cant go to some of the shows that you go to, please explain the difference :)

for us that cant go to some of the shows that you go to, please explain the difference :)

I enumerated many of the physical differences that you can "see" a few posts up. However, it is the differences you do not see, that make Mylar a far and away better material for the preservation of paper collectibles than polypropylene or polyethylene.

Key Mylar points:

*Mylar is an exceptionally strong transparent film, 10 times stronger than polypropylene or polyethylene bags

*Mylar will not discolor

*Mylar contains no volatile chemicals which will migrate to the surface of the paper and cause damage

*Conservators in museums around the world use Mylar for storing their most valuable documents

One of the most telling points about polypropylene bags is that BCW (one of the largest suppliers to the comic industry) specifically recommends that you change their polypropylene bags every 3-5 years. You NEVER have to change Mylar bags, as they protect for over 100 years.

compared a mylite 2 versus one of these cgc "mylars".

as mentioned the mylite has a "bead" at seams particularily at bottom that is thicker/ bigger. Able to definitely crease the mylar, well more so of a crease. The plastics feel different.

I happen to like the look of the cgc-mylars bags regardless of what they are made from, I prefer them to the regular bags my cgc slabs come in.

Mylar is inert to most organic solvents at ambient temperatures (which essentially means its suitable for most paper ephemera storage applications, with the only exception being that it is not suited for exposure to sunlight/UV rays). It's expense and melting point (500°F) are probably two of the biggest reasons why CGC chose Barex (350.6°F).

I bought a few treasuries off greggy a few years back that looked like they were in a super-thin Mylite - half as thin as a Mylite 1. It was definitely not poly-grade, and I eventually took them out of the bags because I really didn't like the way it felt. It reminded me of the cellophane grade of wrapping paper used for gift baskets but thinner (just as noisy too when handling it).

Those definitely sound like BOPP rather than Mylar.

CGC uses polyethylene or regular polypropylene, both of which have a rather poor presentation, even when new. Once you get a few scratches on them they look horrible.

It is why these bags are an easy sell, especially if you throw in the Mylar name and then price them just below the Mylar price.