• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is the story behind the Lost Valley Pedigree??

28 posts in this topic

sorry, but the search function here sucks....i tried searching for "lost valley pedigree" and i get "lost dog" threads.

i just recently purchased a lost valley book (unslabbed but with CoA) and would like to know the story behind them. i checked matt nelson's site but theres no info on them yet.

sorry, but the search function here sucks....i tried searching for "lost valley pedigree" and i get "lost dog" threads.

i just recently purchased a lost valley book (unslabbed but with CoA) and would like to know the story behind them. i checked matt nelson's site but theres no info on them yet.

The Lost Valley collection was found by Al Stoltz of Basement Comics and Jeff Weaver of Mad Cow Comics. The collection was found in 2003 and included early Golden Age comics. The collection included Detective #1-10, #27 and #35, and Action #2 just to name a few. The name of the collection came from Al and Jeff getting lost in the valley trying to find the home of the original owner.

There were a ton of King Comics Production comics as well. I bought the best one they had at Baltimore last year and here it is back from CGC. I figured a 9.0 or 9.2 w off white pages.

king24.jpg

Thanks for the help guys.

Its interesting to own a book from a noted collection...I mostly like to show the book and tell the person the story behind the collection. Some of the stories are really facinating.

Anyways, I bought the book (billy west #5 vf-) because I got a good deal and it was a nice copy, the pedigree part is a nice plus though.

I will provide some pictures when it arrives (comiclink order)!

I also recently purchased a (small) run of Edgar Church books and will have pics up soon. These are all the first pedigrees I have ever bought, and also my first golden age books.

They didn't put it on the label, though I do have the COA. I have never been a pedigree fan, I figure the grade speaks for itself. And not just the CGC grade but the grade the book looks and feels like. I'm a big fan of the 8.5 and 9.0 grades for Golden Age pedigree or not.

did you send the CoA with the comics when it got graded? maybe thats why they didnt put it on the label.

when you send in the CoA do they send it back to you? or is the book graded and the pedigree indicated, and then they keep/throw away the CoA??

They didn't put it on the label, though I do have the COA. I have never been a pedigree fan, I figure the grade speaks for itself. And not just the CGC grade but the grade the book looks and feels like. I'm a big fan of the 8.5 and 9.0 grades for Golden Age pedigree or not.

The whole story is that I sent it in for a regrade, sans COA, but the original label had the pedigree notation. The new label did not. They gave it an 8.0 originally which I couldn't believe, I asked for notes which were as follows. Very slight, 1/4 inch, non-color breaking crease, back cover. I asked what else, thinking I missed something (which happens to all of us) and they replied that was it???????

No breaks on the spine, no chips, no slight spine tears. No back cover soiling, no interior damage, no nothin'. It was almost as if, since the Lost Valley paper isn't bone white they can't give out a 9.0.

Even writting this I'm getting a bit annoyed since this book is nearly perfect and they gave it an 8.5. I rarely whine about CGC grading but they missed this one. Its not even the value but when common books like an X-men 94 get an 8.5 and I think its undergraded, well suck it up, but how many of these pre 1940 books are even close to grading in the 9's. So when they miss one that comes along, it annoys.

BTW Mad Cow sold this as an 8.5 and at guide price so no sympathy is needed, I just thought both CGC and Mad Cow undergraded.

Maybe I'm off. Here are better scans, you be the judge.

king24cgc.jpg

king24bccgc.jpg

When a book is regraded, the graders do not see the original label (and thus the pedigree notation), as it is cracked out of the holder by the receiving department and presented to the graders as a new submission.

Unless you specified the pedigree status on the submission form, and provided some proof of provenance, the book will not receive pedigree status. 893naughty-thumb.gif

r100

You are exactly correct on the labelling, I'm not sure Lost Valley carries much of a premium due to the page quality reputation. I've always been under the impression that the real lure of pedigree copies is the freshness of the interior and the gloss and inks of the cover. Anyway, not having seen too many of the higher end pedigrees I've never been too impressed with a pedigree label over and above the grade it deserved. A 9.6 Action 60 is impressive, Mile High or no Mile High.

Also, I did expect an Off White page quality but the very edges of the paper were starting to turn so I couldn't fault the graders on that one, though they could have at least tossed me a page quality bone. confused-smiley-013.gif

You are exactly correct on the labelling, I'm not sure Lost Valley carries much of a premium due to the page quality reputation. I've always been under the impression that the real lure of pedigree copies is the freshness of the interior and the gloss and inks of the cover.

That's part of it, but that's not the whole story for some people. Some of us are interested in the story behind the collections, etc.

You're almost cerainly losing out on some traffic for your book if you ever decide to sell by removing the pedigree from the label. While I scan GA CGC listings daily, I have a search title and description for "pedigree" that I run daily and look over with a fine tooth comb. I can't be alone.