• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Ploog??

30 posts in this topic

Yup, Ploog moved on to Hollywood and did storyboards. I think I remember reading an interview with him where he said he never really felt like he knew what he was doing in comics (coulda fooled me!), and was sort of "winging it." Does this ring a bell with anyone else? confused-smiley-013.gif

From what I remember, years ago Ploog started doing storyboards for the motion picture industry

He did an awsesome segment in the "Wizard" movie that was outright

That movie's shameless Vaughn Bode ripoff bothers me to the point where I've never actually seen the Ploog segment (the opening?) I've seen a few minutes of it here and there, but I pretty much refuse to sit down and watch the whole thing just on principle.

From what I remember, years ago Ploog started doing storyboards for the motion picture industry

That movie's shameless Vaughn Bode ripoff bothers me to the point where I've never actually seen the Ploog segment (the opening?) I've seen a few minutes of it here and there, but I pretty much refuse to sit down and watch the whole thing just on principle.

Well you should. Absolutely over the top silliness - I wonder how many mushrooms Bakshi ingested before making the film.

Well you should. Absolutely over the top silliness - I wonder how many mushrooms Bakshi ingested before making the film.

The real question is how many mushrooms did Vaugh Bode do when he did Cheech and Junkwaffel which, so the story goes, Bakshi adapted without permission.

Honestly...it's been so long since I've seen the movie that I am going off memory( crazy.gif) as to when the Ploog sequences occur...I believe that there may have been some in the opening segment of the movie but I believe the main segment, which went through the origin of the earth as it has become and the origin of several of the main characters, occurred roughly in the middle of the movie...the segment consisted of narration with flashing stills...

As far as Bakshi ripping off Bode'...it was quite obvious...although I really didn't care at the time as I was young and impetuous and quite into fantasy...but if the following isn't a Bode' Babe then I don't know what is... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

WIZARD22.JPG

From what I remember, years ago Ploog started doing storyboards for the motion picture industry as the money was way better than doing comic books. While I don't have a list of all the movies he did storyboards for, two I do know of are John Carpenter's The Thing in which he also did production and concept sketches, and Virus, another sci-fi movie starring Jamie Lee Curtis which was also a comic put out by Dark Horse as a 4 issue mini series and had Ploog covers. As mentioned above he was recently doing the CrossGen book Abadazad until its cancellation.

Here is a concept piece he did for The Thing...

594679-TheThingMovie_Ploog_concept.jpg

... and here's a site that has some storyboards. shocked.gif

http://www.outpost31.com/movie/storyboards.html

sbb27.jpg

594679-TheThingMovie_Ploog_concept.jpg.955216a3cde64a4b49fddf9db5eab00d.jpg