• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: How to report a SHILL? (It is Stu)...

412 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I have been monitoring the forum activity for the last few weeks after I was 'baited' into a silver age thread. It appears a certain individual has been coming on here under numerous names and attempting to not only disrupt the board for this individual's own purposes, but also to attempt to 'bait' me.

Before going into full details and how I 'baited' him, could anybody tell me about 'Stu, the King of Shills'? That is what he called himself...

Stu was banned a long time ago, before our time I think, for reasons that have never been shared with me. Evidently he's a good egg though ... I've never seen him causing trouble and have had some good chats with him in his brief reappearances.

Stu was banned a long time ago, before our time I think, for reasons that have never been shared with me. Evidently he's a good egg though ... I've never seen him causing trouble and have had some good chats with him in his brief reappearances.

:popcorn:

Okay, he is just interested in some of the articles I wrote that are now listed under my eBay account. He set up multiple forum ID's to attempt to 'bait' me. Ironically, when he PM'd me with a new forum name I asked who he was and he actually admitted it. I thought that was odd.

I'm going to agree with Dan. From all his cameo appearances that I have caught on, I have never noticed any malice towards any boardie or even the CGC boards (shrug)

Oh, it was nothing major; just 'creepy' in my opinion. He just created new user ID's and shadowed me to attempt to cause a stir regarding articles and guides I wrote that are easily found on eBay. I found it odd because most 'newbies' don't take an interest in me and if they want to learn about collectibles and speculation most would start with Mr. Rinker and other authors and then work their way down the list. Having at least three to four new members ask to see guides written by me was very 'creepy' and not something that happens often unless it is one person doing it.

Oh, it was nothing major; just 'creepy' in my opinion. He just created new user ID's and shadowed me to attempt to cause a stir regarding articles and guides I wrote that are easily found on eBay. I found it odd because most 'newbies' don't take an interest in me and if they want to learn about collectibles and speculation most would start with Mr. Rinker and other authors and then work their way down the list. Having at least three to four new members ask to see guides written by me was very 'creepy' and not something that happens often unless it is one person doing it.

Links?

To the PM's I received...?

or what?

To the silver age thread where you said he was 'baiting' you.

There are several threads where he was 'baiting me.' The first was the Iron Man vs. Surfer Silver debate concerning what was the more profound 'key' issue.

Next there was another thread in Comics General that I would have to look for.

I was then 'baited' again in the ASM 121 vs. Bats 232 thread in the 'bronze' age section.

Please understand I have no problem helping anyone and get a lot of PM's and emails. HOWEVER, when someone acts in a 'creepy' manner I tend not to respond.

Here are some reasons:

Number one, I was at an auction house last week and someone came up to me and said 'Mintcollector I know who you are you and what internet forums you belong to. Try to keep some of the good stuff for the rest of us, as I know where to look to find you...'

Number two: One of my guides was mentioned in an online video on storage auctions. The author agreed with me, however, I couldn't believe some of the emails I got in response and how they knew to find me (via email). It was interesting to say the least.

In conclusion I would not write or assist if I didn't expect some criticism. However, being 'shadowed' by people I don't know is a little weird. I am by no means famous, trust me on that.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

How is that shilling though? Because he has numerous accounts? Is he trying to buy something with numerous accounts though...?
Exactly because of the numerous accounts. I don't think Stu quite qualifies as a shill because there's never any attempt at deception. As mintcollector mentioned, he's pretty open about it.

Number one, I was at an auction house last week and someone came up to me and said 'Mintcollector I know who you are you and what internet forums you belong to. Try to keep some of the good stuff for the rest of us, as I know where to look to find you...'
Even if this is paraphrased from what was said, the whole notion of approaching someone like this is kind of pointless. It sounds as if the person only wanted to let you know that they knew something, but what good is that small piece of information, really?

Now, if someone sent a message online saying they knew where to find you physically, that's threatening and a bit scary. Meeting someone in person to tell them you know how to contact them online is kind of silly. The worst I can imagine this is in the vein of "When A Stranger Calls" only it would have to be "When A Stranger PMs" but the line "The PMs are coming from in the house!" wouldn't have quite the scare factor.

I've always liked Stu. I think he was banned because he had some disagreements with CGC's policies. He has a great sense of humor.

Even if this is paraphrased from what was said, the whole notion of approaching someone like this is kind of pointless. It sounds as if the person only wanted to let you know that they knew something, but what good is that small piece of information, really?

Now, if someone sent a message online saying they knew where to find you physically, that's threatening and a bit scary. Meeting someone in person to tell them you know how to contact them online is kind of silly. The worst I can imagine this is in the vein of "When A Stranger Calls" only it would have to be "When A Stranger PMs" but the line "The PMs are coming from in the house!" wouldn't have quite the scare factor.

Hello DeliBebek. I see your point, but try to understand that if you were at an auction house and someone came up to you and worded something similar, I think it would at least raise eyebrows. I was with a fellow dealer who was shocked and said the same thing. It should also be known that I am very active in the antiques and collectibles industry in my area. I am also fairly known for being the guy who raises bids when I want something. This is why this kind of behavior was looked down upon by other patrons. It should be clarified that this does not mean it was someone from these forums. I use this same ID on several forums so that is not a concern. Most people do know me as 'mint' (it is a nickname of mine). However, I don't know why I was advised that they know where to look for me. That was the creepy part. It was also creepy that I had no idea who they were. Will it cause me to modify my bidding or buying habits? Yeah right...

How is that shilling though? Because he has numerous accounts? Is he trying to buy something with numerous accounts though...?
Exactly because of the numerous accounts. I don't think Stu quite qualifies as a shill because there's never any attempt at deception. As mintcollector mentioned, he's pretty open about it.

Someone on here called me a shill a while back. At the time, I was suggesting books to my wife who created an account and bought a few nice books for me off the boards. I had suggested the book to my wife and she must have contacted the seller while I was also contacting the seller. He claimed I was a shil and refused to sell to me after I had posted the "Take It" in his thread.

It really pissed me off too!

He tried to claim he sold it already, but it appeared in his next sales thread.

rantrant over!

I don't know if "pointless" would be as appropriate as "moronic" to describe someone's decision to threaten someone like that in person, unless they were looking for a fight. There are ways to get bidders/buyers off their game at an auction, but this isn't one of the ways.