• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Certification Verification not working??!

41 posts in this topic

The graders haven't deemed it neccessary to add notes. Usually happens with moderns around the 9.6-9.8 category.

though CGC sets the standard on graded books, them "not deeming it necessary to add notes" is just economical and laziness.

Some of the books they don't want to add notes to, will be worth 3 figures or more in the future, and the only books that shouldn't have grader notes added are perfect 10 copies, because even a 9.9 must have defects or it would be a 10.

Some things are easily noted though. If you can see through the slab that a book has a slightly blunted corner and a NCB spine tick and it is graded 9.4, no notes are really neccessary.

-slym

That's not it. Some people are such simple-minded chimps that they need even the most obvious things spelled out for them. They don't want to have to look for the five inch color-breaking creases on the front cover, they want the notes to tell them they are there. Most be part of the collect the label and not the book mentality of some collectors. doh!

The graders haven't deemed it neccessary to add notes. Usually happens with moderns around the 9.6-9.8 category.

though CGC sets the standard on graded books, them "not deeming it necessary to add notes" is just economical and laziness.

Some of the books they don't want to add notes to, will be worth 3 figures or more in the future, and the only books that shouldn't have grader notes added are perfect 10 copies, because even a 9.9 must have defects or it would be a 10.

could you just explain that a little bit?

OK, I assume every grader keeps notes when grading a book, if this is true then the only reasons I can fathom for not posting the notes is that they don't have the manpower, or the person who enters the notes doesn't enter all notes on all books.

as stated above, Moderns 9.6-9.8 don't have notes( I know there are others too), I was stating, that everyday a few new books find their way to CGC to be graded for the first time, CGC doesn't know which of these books will be the next "Walking Dead" or "Saga," and be selling for a very high price at a very high grade.

What will drive collectors like me up the wall is the fact that after a book "catches on" then notes will start to appear on the copies of those books coming in to be graded. So the only fair thing to do is to put the notes on every book that comes thru CGC.

I would love to know why my Deathlok (1990) #1 is graded 9.8 instead of 10.

I checked the book over many times with a magnifying glass, but CGC refuses to tell me because they didn't put notes on the book, I would gladly have paid to see those notes, so CGC LOST MONEY!

hope that is a good enough explanation.

OK, I assume every grader keeps notes when grading a book, if this is true then the only reasons I can fathom for not posting the notes is that they don't have the manpower, or the person who enters the notes doesn't enter all notes on all books.

as stated above, Moderns 9.6-9.8 don't have notes( I know there are others too), I was stating, that everyday a few new books find their way to CGC to be graded for the first time, CGC doesn't know which of these books will be the next "Walking Dead" or "Saga," and be selling for a very high price at a very high grade.

What will drive collectors like me up the wall is the fact that after a book "catches on" then notes will start to appear on the copies of those books coming in to be graded. So the only fair thing to do is to put the notes on every book that comes thru CGC.

I checked the book over many times with a magnifying glass, but CGC refuses to tell me because they didn't put notes on the book, I would gladly have paid to see those notes, so CGC LOST MONEY!

It's in a 9.8 case instead of a 10 case because it is a 9.8 and not a 10. Kudos on launching your all out assault on trolling CGC.

Is the fact that you state really true?

So recent CGC submissions of a Walking Dead #1 in CGC9.8 have grader notes (vs old submissions that dont)?

I dont know (cause I dont have one, and dont buy grader notes), so Im asking.

I thought their "no grader notes on modern 9.6-9.8 and up" was something they did across the board, not based on market value of the book.

It has to be a manpower thing. Putting down notes is difficult and time consuming.

And $15 dollars might be a big deal to you, but imagine all the books that would go un-graded if they added notes to each 9.8 or 9.9? And when someone submits a stack of 10 or 15 modern books that all are coming back 9.8 then I don't imagine CGC is all that concerned with a note or two.

I bet adding notes in to the system take roughly 3-5 minutes a book. So for every 5 books they've lost roughly 20 minutes. All that is going to add up quickly.

It has to be a manpower thing. Putting down notes is difficult and time consuming.

And $15 dollars might be a big deal to you, but imagine all the books that would go un-graded if they added notes to each 9.8 or 9.9? And when someone submits a stack of 10 or 15 modern books that all are coming back 9.8 then I don't imagine CGC is all that concerned with a note or two.

I bet adding notes in to the system take roughly 3-5 minutes a book. So for every 5 books they've lost roughly 20 minutes. All that is going to add up quickly.

I guess that is why they started charging for them.

:shrug:

-slym

I guess that is why they started charging for them.

:shrug:

-slym

You would think that maybe they'd keep a paper trail of books. That way if someone did want to pay for them they could at least go dig them up. Or you'd think everything would be digital and they grade with an iPad or something in their hands-although that might be a little high tech for CGC...

I think it'd be great if all the notes were on the back of the slab. Hopefully competition comes along and starts to do something like that on their slabs :taptaptap:

What will drive collectors like me up the wall is the fact that after a book "catches on" then notes will start to appear on the copies of those books coming in to be graded. So the only fair thing to do is to put the notes on every book that comes thru CGC..

Paranoid nonsense :screwy:

That kind of argument would never end.

So, imagine you DO get the notes about your 9.8 and you find out that the book had a "ink smudge on page 14", then you would demand that CGC have scans of the ink smudge because you can't see it when the book is slabbed.

If CGC does more work grading each book, they'll charge more for grading each book.

I don't think the business model would work if it was $36 to grade a modern because it takes twice as long as it used to take when it was $18.

The bottom line for me, though, is that you actually think you have a CGC 10 book in a CGC 9.8 holder.

You're the kind of mother who doesn't want to hear that her baby isn't perfect.

Wake up.

NO, the reason I would like to see the notes is to determine if pressing could up the grade to something better than 9.8.

I mean the book is worth no more than the grading fees, but to me, since deathlok is what I collect, if I want to press it and re-sub it, to get a better grade, then I should have the knowledge of what brought the grade down from a 10 to start with.

If there is an ink smudge then tell me so, If I want to crack it to find out myself, then that's my decision, because ITS MY BOOK! yeah it seems crazy to me too, but I do think CGC is losing some money on grader's notes when they don't list them on all books.

I am sure the decision tree went something like this:

Cost to CGC in labor, data storage, etc. for graders notes on 1,000 CGC 9.8 books $0.837 ea. = $837.00

Crazy people who want to pay $5 for graders notes on their 9.8 books = 20 x $5 = $100 revenue generated from crazy people

Cost of customer service later dealing with crazy people who KNOW they were screwed on their 9.8 because that X defect just isn't there or isn't that bad, etc.

hm

Decision: Nope, we are not going to do graders notes on most near perfect books.

I am sure the decision tree went something like this:

Cost to CGC in labor, data storage, etc. for graders notes on 1,000 CGC 9.8 books $0.837 ea. = $837.00

Crazy people who want to pay $5 for graders notes on their 9.8 books = 20 x $5 = $100 revenue generated from crazy people

Cost of customer service later dealing with crazy people who KNOW they were screwed on their 9.8 because that X defect just isn't there or isn't that bad, etc.

hm

Decision: Nope, we are not going to do graders notes on most near perfect books.

OK, that one I understand, I hadn't taken into account how many people might accutally call and tie up customer service, they would have to hire a whole squadron of folks to answer phones and deal with lunatics(of which I would put myself into that category when it comes to certain books)

That kind of argument would never end.

So, imagine you DO get the notes about your 9.8 and you find out that the book had a "ink smudge on page 14", then you would demand that CGC have scans of the ink smudge because you can't see it when the book is slabbed.

If CGC does more work grading each book, they'll charge more for grading each book.

I don't think the business model would work if it was $36 to grade a modern because it takes twice as long as it used to take when it was $18.

The bottom line for me, though, is that you actually think you have a CGC 10 book in a CGC 9.8 holder.

You're the kind of mother who doesn't want to hear that her baby isn't perfect.

Wake up.

:popcorn: