• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Favorite DC War Books!

97 posts in this topic

This is the only one I remember reading as a kid...

945_4_178.jpg

Don't recall anything about it, but the fact that I never picked up a war comic after it (despite one of my friends having several hundred) probably means I didn't find it my cuppa...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Perhaps not the most dramatic cover.. but I rember buying this when I was a kid..

And it also has another perspective of that funny little Haunted Tank...

Sgtrokcover.JPG

Ze-

Some observations:

War = DC = Joe Kubert

Some powerful covers. War isn't necessarily my forte but I do have a few covers I'll post this weekend. The "HE KNOWS" cover is awesome. One thing I remember distinctly is that most of the DC stories I read had HEART to go with the blazing bullets. Didn't care for the Haunted Tank, but it was still a cool read...

Some of the best cheese War I remember picking up was THE VIKING WARRIOR in the short-lived All-Out War #1.

As testified in the BA Horror Thread, Weird War Tales had some excellent mix of horror and war.

But " He don't even know" ? crazy.gif I thought the DC grammar police were more on the ball in the 1960s/1970s.

Come on, the writer was trying to replicate the patois of the average GI in WW II. What, you want they should all speak like Harvard English professors? tongue.gif

But " He don't even know" ? crazy.gif I thought the DC grammar police were more on the ball in the 1960s/1970s.

Come on, the writer was trying to replicate the patois of the average GI in WW II. What, you want they should all speak like Harvard English professors? tongue.gif

insane.gif It ain't about what I want. If it's realism they're after, where's all the 893censored-thumb.gif-damned cusswords? devil.gif

You're right of course-- I just was somewhat surprised a late-1960s squeaky clean DC comic would use dialect speech on the cover (but then the war books probably got greater slack than the super-hero comics).