• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROUND 7 : Contest

72 posts in this topic

Must have been a $%&^* stain! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

yeah - for a small stain not visible on either cover, it probably reduced the grade by 3 full points!! sometimes, i just don't get it.............. confused.gif

yet the GL#7 - 9.6 that just sold had a visible stain on the cover. (i know - printers defect - sure................) grin.gif

I know it's sour grapes, but this book looks nicer than any other 6.5 I've ever seen. But then Newt was right about it, so maybe I'm just friggin blind like everyone else.

yeah - for a small stain not visible on either cover, it probably reduced the grade by 3 full points!! sometimes, i just don't get it.............. confused.gif

I just got back an FF 170 price variant from the onsite grading that suffered the same flaw so I should have known better. I'm looking at the book and it looks like a 9.2-9.4 easy, right? WRONG! I missed the lower right corner where there was slight warping thru the book in that tiny area because maybe someone spilled something near the book and got the corner wet and the tell tale ripples were spotted by CGC and it ended up with a 6.0

595706-Fantasticfour170varcgc60.jpg

595706-Fantasticfour170varcgc60.jpg.0cee0ef1800422d367eb72c2879480f5.jpg

I just got back an FF 170 price variant from the onsite grading that suffered the same flaw so I should have known better. I'm looking at the book and it looks like a 9.2-9.4 easy, right? WRONG! I missed the lower right corner where there was slight warping thru the book in that tiny area because maybe someone spilled something near the book and got the corner wet and the tell tale ripples were spotted by CGC and it ended up with a 6.0

595706-Fantasticfour170varcgc60.jpg

Is that a corner crease LR or is that part of the window?

but this book looks nicer than any other 6.5 I've ever seen.

I also thought there might be a small spine roll. Yes there is a miswrap bust the back pages are fanned an AWFUL lot. If there WAS a spine roll, even a small one, it would also contribute.

I thought spine roll also POV, but nothing was mentioned in the graders notes about it.....

One thing I've learned....CGC hates stains, and it hates creases. The other misleading thing was....there was no mention of the stain on the label.

that sucks!!!!!! can't see the stain/warping/whatever in the scan, at all. i guess thsi is what makes grading an "art" and not a science.

no question that low - midgrade books are much harder to grade. i hate to think of what the "twist" is awaiting at the end of the contest. maybe we'll be subject to the nascar goofiness of everyone in the top 10 being made virtually even and start over insane.gif