• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A note on "the community" posted by ENVYotb

8 posts in this topic

My quick IMYOP on the online community

While Ive been a comic book, wrestling, toy,anime,sci fi,movie, gaming supergeek since I saw Star Wars at the age of 4, it often shocks people a) how long it took me to get into the internet originally and b) how very little I have interacted within any online communities.

In the very short month or so that Ive explored the cgc community Ive already journaled more times than Ive probably posted on ANY online community EVER.

SO...why here and why now?

Simple really:

The community here feels like a...well, actually a community for once. Reading others posts and reading responses to mine I feel like Ive finally found an example ofwhat the internet always promised me it was but never really delivered. People with a similiar passion to mine, the feeling of sharing love and appreciation for a common passion. As Ive begun to finally sort through my 30 long boxes of comics that have sat relatively untouched for 15+ years Ive been reliving every day old joys and fond memories, truly enjoying my collection for the first time in years, and having access to people I can share that experience with. Grading my books started as the logical thing to do for my collection sitting there gathering dust. Nothing was really going on with it other than taking up space. Logically I decided it was time to do something, ANYTHING with it...paring it down the first step.

Grading amd adding valued was the obvious first step.

Never did I imagine it would lead to me discovering a brand new enjoyment of my collection, or re ignition of my passion and enthusiasm of my long dormant comic hobby. I certainly did not expect to also discover the communal experience the internet purported to be but I had yet to actually experience.

So from my seat atop 30 dusty long boxes in my garage, between an agonizing process of "what am I sending in to cgc next" with some pauses to glance at my registry and where I want it to grow next, I say to all here "WELL MET, IM SOO GLAD IM HERE, AND THANKS FOR BREATHING LIFE INTO A COMATOSE COLLECTOR AND HIS ALMOST EXTINCT HOBBY"!

See you in the journals, same bat time, excelsior, 'nuff said from the bullpen and....you get the picture lol!!

See more journals by ENVYotb

I'm with you on most of this. I got into the internet early but didn't get into any sort of online community or social networking until just recently.

With this community being the exception. As soon as I started collecting CGC comics, I joined the registry community and while it has taken me a while to get social on here, I have done it now.

Anyone who understands the last part of your journal definitely belongs here.

:hi:

I'm pretty much in line with you guys on this. Aside from facebook, where I actually know people I don't interact with any other community. Here everyone has great advice, constructive criticism and make this all fun. Elsewhere is full of fanboys, haters and trolls. I like to read comments on other boards just because its so funny to see people be internet tough guys or just hate on something to get a reaction.

Count me in I'm so loving this forum :) I am more addicted to reading everyone's post everyday than I am collecting new comics!

You guys have great stories and it really does help me unwind at the end of the day to see what adventures have been posted for my enjoyment!

Keep it up, I read every post everyday and sometimes twice or more depending on how many responses have been posted :)

Welcome to the Machine.

I picked up a few CGC books before really involving myself into the community. Even though I started to write a few journals, BagoFleas was the first collection I took note of, after all his New Mutants collection has to be checked out. He wrote a couple journals, I wrote a couple journals, he stopped and I well...wrote some more.

This community is great. I have found friends here, not fly by night type of guys but friends, people who I have traveled across the country to meet and will meet. I hope you enjoy your stay and find it just as rewarding as I.

Tnerb

Welcome to the Machine.

I picked up a few CGC books before really involving myself into the community. Even though I started to write a few journals, BagoFleas was the first collection I took note of, after all his New Mutants collection has to be checked out. He wrote a couple journals, I wrote a couple journals, he stopped and I well...wrote some more.

This community is great. I have found friends here, not fly by night type of guys but friends, people who I have traveled across the country to meet and will meet. I hope you enjoy your stay and find it just as rewarding as I.

Tnerb

Its been awesome to get these replies, thanks guys! Tnerb your New Mutants feud with bagofleas is epic reading everyone should sample! Look forward to hearing from everyone in the future, hopefully Ill meet some of you at a con down the line!