• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with Ebay Buyer Issue

49 posts in this topic

- NEVER TAKE IT PERSONAL and don't forget the #1 rule in retail- THE COSTUMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT. Even when they're (clearly) not!

Apply that to your business and you'll be doing just fine

Your clients wear costumes?

Definitely do a return no questions asked. Even bite the bullet on shipping and compensate him for the return shipping. It's not like this happens every day! Thats the cost of selling goods ANYWHERE. You gotta bite the bullet sometimes.

On another note, I've read somewhere that eBay changed its policies regarding buyers leaving bad feedback after a case was closed. I think it was in one of their newsletters they sent me, it said something to the effect that if a case is closed and both buyer/seller agreed on terms a buyer cannot leave you a bad feedback.

:screwy:

Ive said it before.. Did you ever run a store and saw what kinda headaches you have to deal with? Shrink, unreasonable returns.. people wasting your time and your knowledge only to shop online.. Whats a $10/20.00 neg on shipping compared to thousands of dollars negg'd in shrink.. sometimes monthly.

My approach to selling on eBay is - NEVER TAKE IT PERSONAL and don't forget the #1 rule in retail- THE COSTUMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT. Even when they're (clearly) not!

Apply that to your business and you'll be doing just fine

meh

I would just tell the guy to pound sand, but my ebay feedback isn't 100% because I make decisions based on my mood.

Don't do that and do a full return. 2c

I am with Jimmy here. Tell the buyer off, and have him do everything through an escalation via eBay.

There is a good chance if you talk to them directly they will side with you since CGC is a 3rd Party Grader that they recognize as legit.

Make sure to highlight the parts in regards to him saying and suggesting it is an outright counterfeit but then he would be happy to keep it with a partial refund. This alone will show he is trying to extort you for a partial refund and that the book is legit.

eBay is one of the worst companies in terms of providing fair and balanced service.

This is why it's important for international transactions to have some sort of tracking system for accountability to receiving merchandise. 1st Class gives you no protection, and Express Mail provides you with insurance and delivery confirmation/tracking.

Despite the buyers threats, and even the fact that he's acknowledged receiving the book in his correspondence, you can document that to eBay 'til you're blue in the face with all of the professional buttoned up detail in the worls and if the Buyer decides to file against you and simply says he didn't receive the merchandise, clicking on a button asking you to provide tracking, then you're hosed.

eBay rarely reads or listens to sellers, so legitimate counterarguments to complaints falls to deaf ears and blind eyes, compliments of eBay.

Any threats of negative feedback, unless you sell professionally as a career or for your the income on eBay and need those "5 star / 100%" discounts on fees, having one or even a few negatives won't impact you. Smart buyers can see past a few negatives, so if you have a 99.5% positive, that's pretty darn good, there's always an insufficiently_thoughtful_person in the crowd, so don't fret. You can also "reply to feedback" and at least disclaim the situation on your own feedback record.

The worst thing that can happen is you give a refund, and you don't get the book back.

Actually no, the worst would be if you paid for return shipping, the guy ships back the book, but pulled a switch-er-roo on you, scamming you, and you get the wrong merchandise back, not what you had originally sent him. Based on his language and approach, it seems like a red flag that I wouldn't put it past 'em that this could happen to you.

I've seen far worst than this where a seller has paid for return shipping, the buyer sent back and empty box, and kept the merchandise, and now as a seller, you're out the merchandise, the cost to ship it out and the cost to have it shipped back...

I've seen fraud go both ways 'tho, both from buyers and sellers, so it's not a lynch mob against buyers more than a criticism against how eBay handles their clients/members without really putting much of any efforts of due diligence.

I will say this 'tho, no matter what, keep your communication with as much professionalism and with detail as possible, removing any emotion. Anything of negativity and immaturity can only come back to haunt you and won't bode well in defense of any case you may build. Retail all communication sent to you. You can even, in a non-threatening manner point out any facts within his communication that can be used against him legally (such as acknowledging receipt of merchandise, so not to try to make claim stating he never received it or else that is mail fraud; or threatening you with any extortion based requests).

If you can get your book back, refund the money, the book is legit as you sent it, and all you're out is the postage to mail it out and even the return postage, consider yourself lucky and chalk up any of those losses as the cost of doing business on eBay, but try not to stress out about it, causing you more grief than its worth and getting anxiety attacks, the sooner you're rid of this incident and can move on, the better... then make sure to "block" the seller from bidding on future auctions.

i checked out the listing and its the same guy that did it to me just this past week. he actually called my house from canada to say he did not agree with the grade. i gave him almost a full refund and told him to keep the item. i blocked him but try to bust him for doing this.

just get your item back. i want to send him a message about getting money from me (so angry), but i wont because i want you to get this settled without getting negative feedback. once you get the item back and everything is settled, out him here, or i will, so other people will block him from this mess

Accept the book back. Do not pay for return shipping. Like others said, that's giving in waay too far to his demands.

Once you get the book back, just issue the refund and that's that. If he leaves a neg, you can have it removed.

+1

Once the dust settles let us know his name!

My advice:

Pay the refund once the book shows up. He will open a dispute, so be ready for it.

In your eBay, for this transaction, there's an option to report a buyer. He's making unreasonable demands. Do this before getting the book back.

If he leaves negative feedback, you should be able to get eBay to wipe it, as he was making unreasonable demands and threatening a neg.

Good luck.

Andy

+1

Recently had a similar problem with an eBayer. Buyer was happy with a lot of five books, except one, did not want to return but requested a partial refund, he did even complain about a freebie I sent along the books (...).

He left me negatives for all books when I told him to return the books for a full refund and that I did not get the point re complaining about a free book. I did contact eBay and they did remove the negs.

Always contact the eBayer through eBay message system. If you call an eBay representative to get a feedback removed, they will read that correspondence in order to make a decision. Stay polite and professional, that will help your case with eBay.

Just wanted to give an update on this issue. The buyer filed a dispute through PayPal which was pretty slick because PayPal can't use eBay messages to make a determination on the case. PayPal makes their determination on whether or not the item was returned back to the seller.

In this case, the buyer did return the item and shipped it in a bubble envelope and surprisingly it came back in one piece and the buyer received his refund for the purchase.

I did not pay for return shipping and because of that the buyer then left me negative feedback on eBay. I then called eBay and explained the situation and they went ahead and reviewed the messages between the buyer and I and found in my favor so eBay removed the negative feedback against me. :acclaim:

The buyer id is guerrierhabs so feel free to block the buyer.

Thanks again for all the comments, it was helpful and helped me get my negative feedback removed.

Just wanted to give an update on this issue. The buyer filed a dispute through PayPal which was pretty slick because PayPal can't use eBay messages to make a determination on the case. PayPal makes their determination on whether or not the item was returned back to the seller.

In this case, the buyer did return the item and shipped it in a bubble envelope and surprisingly it came back in one piece and the buyer received his refund for the purchase.

I did not pay for return shipping and because of that the buyer then left me negative feedback on eBay. I then called eBay and explained the situation and they went ahead and reviewed the messages between the buyer and I and found in my favor so eBay removed the negative feedback against me. :acclaim:

The buyer id is guerrierhabs so feel free to block the buyer.

Thanks again for all the comments, it was helpful and helped me get my negative feedback removed.

Great job stand up for what's right!

Hey guys, I know it's been discussed before... but where the heck do I block sellers/buyers on ebay. I can't find it! doh! Can someone post the link? Thanks!

If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the eBay page, click on Site Map, it's under Selling Activities.

I would just tell the guy to pound sand, but my ebay feedback isn't 100% because I make decisions based on my mood.

Don't do that and do a full return. 2c

I am with Jimmy here. Tell the buyer off, and have him do everything through an escalation via eBay.

There is a good chance if you talk to them directly they will side with you since CGC is a 3rd Party Grader that they recognize as legit.

Make sure to highlight the parts in regards to him saying and suggesting it is an outright counterfeit but then he would be happy to keep it with a partial refund. This alone will show he is trying to extort you for a partial refund and that the book is legit.

....the guy is obviously using the eBay return policy to screen for undergraded books at the seller's expense. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Has anyone looked at his listings? Strong item descriptions. If nothing else read the last sentence below:

"FRAUDULENT EBAYERS WILL BE REPORTED TO EBAY AS WELL AS PAYPAL AND THE AUTHORITIES OF MY CITY AND THE BUYER'S CITY. EVEN FOR 20$ I WILL TAKE LEGAL ACTION AGAINST ANYONE, IN THE CANADA OR U.S. AS I ONLY SHIP TO NORTH-AMERICA. I TAKE PICTURES OF THE ITEM BEFORE AND DURING THE PACKAGING AND I KEEP THE PICTURES TO MYSELF IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG. I ALWAYS SHIP WITH INSURANCE AND TRACKING SO EVERYONE KNOWS WHERE THE PACKAGE IS AT ALL TIMES. NO ONE HAS EVER GOTTEN AWAY WITH FRAUD ON ME. I KNOW EVERY TRICK IN THE BOOK. 1ST TIME EBAYERS AND THE ONES WITH LESS THAN 10 TRANSACTIONS NEED TO CONTACT ME BEFORE BIDDING OR I WILL CANCEL THEIR BID. I DO NOT SHIP OUTSIDE OF NORTH AMERICA. I DO NOT ACCEPT RETURNS ON CGC ITEMS SINCE THEY ARE GUARANTEED BY CGC. PERIOD."