• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with Ebay Buyer Issue

49 posts in this topic

Need help regarding an ebay buyer from Canada who just purchased my Uncanny X-men 266 CGC 9.6 book.

I leave positive feedback for the buyer and a couple days later, the buyer contacts me for a refund, claiming it’s not a CGC 9.6 book.

Here is the message in full from the buyer.

Dear pono_tiger,

I received your item a few days ago. I was suspicious of this item upon reception when I noticed that both right hand corners were damaged there was a crease on the upper right hand corner and worn damage on the lower right hand corner. There is also a printer stain on the back. So, I started looking at the seal. It was misplaced and could peel off with almost no effort at all. I took it to my comic shop and I received confirmation that the seal has been tampered with and that the actual issue Inside is not a 9.6 copy of the comic. Either you bought it like this, noticed it and sold it OR you tampered with it and sold me a fake 9.6 copy. Either way, there are 2 options: either partially refund 75$ or refund in full once I ship the item back to you. If you accept the partial refund, send it through paypal. Once I receive it I will leave feedback and this matter will be settled. If you prefer the full refund upon me returning the item, I'll have to open a dispute to beat the PP deadline.

I called the buyer and explained that 1) The book was not tampered with and was graded directly by CGC and 2) I don't do returns on CGC books, and that if he is going to return the book, he will have to pay for shipping. The buyer says if he pays for shipping and I don’t refund his shipping cost, he will file a negative feedback against me.

Here are my pictures of my book:

xmen266030_zpsbc1b2c0c.jpg

xmen266031_zps27821df0.jpg

xmen266032_zps4d29ed89.jpg

And here are the pictures the buyer sent me regarding his concerns:

xmen266b061213_zps500fcb83.jpg

xmen266061213_zpsf66e08a8.jpg

xmen266c061213_zps5e488966.jpg

In summary, according to the buyer, my options are:

A) Refund him in full once I receive the book (with the threat of negative feedback if I don’t refund his shipping cost for mailing the book to me) or

B) Partial refund of book

C) ?

I am appealing to my fellow boardies for any advice or recommendations or if you have had a similar experience in the past with other buyers. Your suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

And name him here.

DO NOT NAME HIM HERE UNTIL THE SITUATION IS RESOLVED OR FEEDBACK LEFT.

The last time a thread like this came up, and the buyer name was revealed, someone stirred the pot and emailed the buyer about the thread. Threw off the entire resolution that was being worked out, and the buyer threatened to leave negative feedback due to comments left in the thread.

Get the book back (the most important step), refund his return shipping (or don't, your call on whether to give in to extortion), and out the buyer here so we can all block this guy who can't be trusted with a 9.6.

And name him here.

DO NOT NAME HIM HERE UNTIL THE SITUATION IS RESOLVED OR FEEDBACK LEFT.

The last time a thread like this came up, and the buyer name was revealed, someone stirred the pot and emailed the buyer about the thread. Threw off the entire resolution that was being worked out, and the buyer threatened to leave negative feedback due to comments left in the thread.

Thank you - my poor expression. I did mean after doing (A) and probably getting bad feedback.

My advice:

Pay the refund once the book shows up. He will open a dispute, so be ready for it.

In your eBay, for this transaction, there's an option to report a buyer. He's making unreasonable demands. Do this before getting the book back.

If he leaves negative feedback, you should be able to get eBay to wipe it, as he was making unreasonable demands and threatening a neg.

Good luck.

Andy

By offering to accept a return you have done everything you need to do under the eyes of eBay's buyer/seller protection. The important part is making sure that the communication that has happened has stayed through the eBay messaging system (NOT through email or anywhere else outside of your eBay inbox).

Most importantly, did this statement happen through the eBay messaging system "The buyer says if he pays for shipping and I don’t refund his shipping cost, he will file a negative feedback against me."

This is extortion according to eBay definition and is grounds to remove ANY feedback left by the buyer (especially negative). If you have this in writing through the eBay messaging system - you are protected and can continue to not cave to his pressuring of you paying his shipping costs.

I agree with the other responses so far. Getting the book back and giving the refund is the only way out for the seller. The shipping cost is a tough call, but usually splitting it ends up being a fair option.

My observation is the inexperience of the buyer. He refers to the flimsy label on the top of the case as a seal, even though that strip is notoriously loose and neither seals anything nor serves as verification of the integrity of the case. It looks like minor shifting has occurred in the well, but the main question is whether any of the posts are broken, which the buyer didn't mention at all.

Not that eBay cares about any of that. :)

I don't know if it's inexperience. Based on the feedback he's left and the responses, he may have a bit of a history doing this.

+1

The feedback this guy has left screams bad buyer

Normally, if you did not get his threat of a negative through ebay communication, you would not get it removed. With this guy's history I think there is a good chance it would be removed.

Even if it is not, this is one I would take for the team.

The top lable is what this guy is referring to?

I'd like to talk to the owner of the store that is allegedly telling this guy that the case has been tampered with...

Having said that, I agree with what others have said. Get your book back.

Worry about the rest later. Sounds like if the guy is behaving and being a complete you should be 'safe' of any negatives. Besides, a 9.6 1st Gambit, I think you will be able to sell that pretty easy to someone who knows their stuff and is not a scammy mcscammerson.

Also, please don't think all Canadian buyers are like this person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed. :foryou:

Definitely do a return no questions asked. Even bite the bullet on shipping and compensate him for the return shipping. It's not like this happens every day! Thats the cost of selling goods ANYWHERE. You gotta bite the bullet sometimes.

On another note, I've read somewhere that eBay changed its policies regarding buyers leaving bad feedback after a case was closed. I think it was in one of their newsletters they sent me, it said something to the effect that if a case is closed and both buyer/seller agreed on terms a buyer cannot leave you a bad feedback.

I would never agree to a return for a CGC book, especially if it was stated in the auction, one buyers 9.6 is another buyers 9.2. I would never agree to this return simply because of the implied retaliation and the fact that this buyer questioned your integrity. Then again, I do not sell much on Ebay so I could care less about a neg on my feedback

Definitely do a return no questions asked. Even bite the bullet on shipping and compensate him for the return shipping. It's not like this happens every day! Thats the cost of selling goods ANYWHERE. You gotta bite the bullet sometimes.

On another note, I've read somewhere that eBay changed its policies regarding buyers leaving bad feedback after a case was closed. I think it was in one of their newsletters they sent me, it said something to the effect that if a case is closed and both buyer/seller agreed on terms a buyer cannot leave you a bad feedback.

:screwy:

I would never agree to a return for a CGC book, especially if it was stated in the auction, one buyers 9.6 is another buyers 9.2. I would never agree to this return simply because of the implied retaliation and the fact that this buyer questioned your integrity. Then again, I do not sell much on Ebay so I could care less about a neg on my feedback

If they side with the buyer (who is a ), won't they just pull the money out of the OP's Paypal account anyway if he refuses?

:screwy:

Ive said it before.. Did you ever run a store and saw what kinda headaches you have to deal with? Shrink, unreasonable returns.. people wasting your time and your knowledge only to shop online.. Whats a $10/20.00 neg on shipping compared to thousands of dollars negg'd in shrink.. sometimes monthly.

My approach to selling on eBay is - NEVER TAKE IT PERSONAL and don't forget the #1 rule in retail- THE COSTUMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT. Even when they're (clearly) not!

Apply that to your business and you'll be doing just fine

In summary, according to the buyer, my options are:

A) Refund him in full once I receive the book (with the threat of negative feedback if I don’t refund his shipping cost for mailing the book to me) or

B) Partial refund of book

C) ?

C) Refuse to take the return. Let the buyer file with ebay Buyer Protection. More than likely they'll force you to take the return, ebay will pay his return postage to get the book back to you, and upon receipt they'll take the money you were paid from your PP account and refund the buyer.

It's also possible that they'll just reimburse the buyer for the purchase and not require a return, but there might be enough $$ involved here that it would make that less likely.