• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bunch of books, some keys, mostly (ok, some) disappointing...

96 posts in this topic

A friend of mine came into some books and asked me to sell them for him. I am NOT trying to sell those books here, I just wanted to show how disappointing most of them are. I will sell some here in France and bring a few to Comic-Con next month to move them there.

I know that most books were purchased in the late 60's and early 70's. The first bunch that came in were SA books, Avengers 2 to 70 (most in vg to vf), FF 5 to 100 (all early issues were in the fair to good range, from issue 15 they were in the vg to vf range) and some Spidey's and Cap's.

I got the second bunch last week, which includes about 20 GA DC's, some MLJ's, a couple of Altas Cap's, some Fox's, a few Fawcetts, around 50 Ec's and some other stuff (plus most Spidey's from 8 to 40 and a few DD's including #1).

And I can only say one thing about those: what a disappointment! A few of the books are ok, but most are really messed up. I will post them here over the next week or so. The 2 major keys are incomplete and you will see how a few extra staples and a few inches of tape were used by some maniac on a few books that would otherwise have been solid vg's.

All-American Comics 19:

20456ec4-4056-4862-887d-7322abf90a03_zps79ae5348.jpg

please notice the piece added next to the knife!

back_zpsf447f168.jpg

please notice the piece that is cut out of the back cover!

inside_zps13878fe0.jpg

tthe piece that was cut out of the bc was then taped to the inside front cover!

98ba868b-671f-4a95-8aef-8d2a91d6c874_zpsef689e0c.jpg

close-up of bc with the missing piece.

I think that some guy had a lot fun "restoring" the book on drugs over 40 years ago.

Oh, then I noticed that the centerfold is missing when I went trough the book this weekend.

I will post the next book later on.

Sad that they aren't in better shape, but it must still be fun going through them. (thumbs u

Yes it is sad that a lot of them are like that, but there a few that are ok. It is fun going through them, there are some books that I've never held in my hands before.

All Star 5

allstar5_zps1e5b690d.jpg

no tape or extra staples on this one, but...

backc_zps87c21f49.jpg

check out the coupon...

coupon_zps8de94a1a.jpg

which was cut out and then taped back to the back cover, my guess is that the coupon was cut out from another book and the used to "complete" this one, which is why it does not fit correctly.

spine_zps53939a2c.jpg

this time there was no tape used to "reinforce" the book as you can see, but the front cover was glued to the interiors.

All-Star Comics 8

all-star8_zps7a0d0b4a.jpg

This has tape everywhere and some pieces missing. At first I thought that it would sell ok, this being the 1st Wonder Woman and then I saw this:

8cf_zps91d5cf37.jpg

The book should have 76 pages, but it only has 64...........

Kids do the darnedest things :)

You are right, but I'm not sure if kids did this.....

Whoever owned them 40 years ago probably just considered them reading copies and wasn't thinking about their collectability. After all, even in like-new condition they wouldn't have been worth much back then.

Kids do the darnedest things :)

You are right, but I'm not sure if kids did this.....

Whoever owned them 40 years ago probably just considered them reading copies and wasn't thinking about their collectability. After all, even in like-new condition they wouldn't have been worth much back then.

That's true! I know that the person who bought those books back then did buy the cheapest copies he could get his hands on just to read them.

Man, ALL those copies are right in my wheelhouse.

Just let me loose on a big ol' pile of GA/SA beaters on drek ***coughaffordablecough** shape and I'm one happy camper!

All-Star Comics 33

I wanted this issue as part of my fee, since it does not look to bad. I have always liked Solomon Grundy and there are some really cool pages in this book.

all-star33_zps75fbad60.jpg

Then I saw this:

33inside_zps8a75dc53.jpg

There isn't much tape, so I still might take it...

Man, ALL those copies are right in my wheelhouse.

Just let me loose on a big ol' pile of GA/SA beaters on drek ***coughaffordablecough** shape and I'm one happy camper!

Some are ok and I guess most won't be to expensive once I get to selling them