• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's missing in the comic book market today??

27 posts in this topic

I have been really enjoying the new Valiant. It`s been fun so far reading and collecting Valiant.

SUMMER-OF-VALIANT_2013.jpg

:cloud9:

What happened to Harbinger?

AND WHERE THE :censored: IS RAI???

-slym

don't know where he is, but it should be really fun finding out.

What's missing in the comic book market today?? More comic collectors!

While the age of every kid buying comics is gone, I do think there are a lot of collectors in the market. Collectors have just changed dramatically. We have digital readers, trade readers, and then the speculators. There are a lot of people coming in to comics because of the movies and shows.

It is also hard to say that collectors are down when you have a Con or more a week. I know Baltimore was packed- and those people were there for comics.

I hate all the doom and gloom we see about comics. Comics aren't in a bad place when I go see Iron Man 3 this past Sunday and the Theater is still packed. And a Superman movie is played on the other side of the theater. If just one person from either of those movies goes and picks up a comic book then we are headed in the right direction.

What's changed

Absolutely everything

What's missing

The next hot Modern

Walking Dead? Saga (maybe)? Or do you mean something brand new...?

What the comic book market is missing today are… non-US comics (of each and every kind)! :D

And then… seriously, why pick up once again the Valiant characters? I seem to get they rewrote what has already been written, more than picking up where Shooter left.

I think comics of today are missing a clear picture of what kind of hobby it is. Is it a cheap way for stories of good vs evil to be sold to kids with a bunch of kid orientated advertisements? Not anymore from what I see. Is it a way to provide good entertainment by telling great stories to people that want the quick fix rather than going to read a book? Can't say I've been blown away by a story in awhile and at $3 per comic its definitely not cheap. And then you throw in CGC which makes it impossible to read the books so it makes comic books a glorified "baseball card" with a cool picture on the front and advertising on the back. Is it a way for middle age men to escape reality and dream a little bit about a fantasy world or remember a better day? If anything I'd say current comics are more grim and gritty than most day to day reality.

In a nutshell - I think the message of comic books are still very relevant but the comic book itself is quickly getting out of touch.

Not sure if I can add anything new to the conversation, but I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I got back into comics after a 10 year hiatus only to find out that my Walking Dead #1 was worth $2,500! Talk about a warm welcome :)

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it to you yet, but CGC has really made an impact on comics, especially in terms of value potential. Also, some books have exploded in value including, New Mutants 98, Hulk 181, and Batman Adventures 12.

Like you though, I do miss Wizard. I still look at my old issues from time to time. If i could, I would wind the clocks back to the early 90's when comic books were $1.25, comic shops were plenty, and Jim Lee was still drawing X-Men.

Welcome back my friend!