• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adding grading fees to insurace total...Yes I do.

65 posts in this topic

I think CGC is in the wrong here. 2c

If I buy a book here on the boards or on eBay, it's the sellers responsibility to get the book shipped safely to me. Sellers can choose how much to charge for shipping, but ultimately it's their job to pack and ship it safely with insurance. Everyone of you reading this who sell CGC books understand the concept.

I think this is a similar case. CGC is shipping the book back to the customer. It's their job to pack and ship it safely to their customer. They charge extra when books bump up in grading tiers with higher grades, and they should apply that concept to shipping costs as well. Their shipping department needs to be more organized. 2c

Let me guess ... if the USPS postal truck accidentally caught on fire, this would be CGC's responsibility as well?

The submitter is the one responsible for setting a realistic insurance value - the OP set the value of his book at $1,500, it was damaged by the USPS, and he's entitled to go after the USPS for the full $1,500. Nothing more, nothing less.

I agree with this logic. What I am having a hard time understanding is how a book in a CGC box, in a plastic case gets ripped in half.

If I buy a book here on the boards or on eBay, it's the sellers responsibility to get the book shipped safely to me. Sellers can choose how much to charge for shipping, but ultimately it's their job to pack and ship it safely with insurance. Everyone of you reading this who sell CGC books understand the concept.

I think this is a similar case. CGC is shipping the book back to the customer. It's their job to pack and ship it safely to their customer. They charge extra when books bump up in grading tiers with higher grades, and they should apply that concept to shipping costs as well. Their shipping department needs to be more organized. 2c

Let me guess ... if the USPS postal truck accidentally caught on fire, this would be CGC's responsibility as well?

The submitter is the one responsible for setting a realistic insurance value - the OP set the value of his book at $1,500, it was damaged by the USPS, and he's entitled to go after the USPS for the full $1,500. Nothing more, nothing less.

I agree with this logic. What I am having a hard time understanding is how a book in a CGC box, in a plastic case gets ripped in half.

+1

Especially since it was a registered mail package, that is supposed to be accounted for at all times during the shipping process. Yet it got so damaged that the box was destroyed and the slab was broken in half?

This story seems full of B.S.

Your hypothetical misses my point.

My point is that CGC should have known a Hulk 181 CGC 9.6 is over the $3000 max for the express tier. It should have been bumped up to the next tier and insured properly. (Hulk 181 CGC 9.6 has a GPA of $4,029 (90 days) and a last sale of $4,850.)

Regardless, if the machine damages the book, the truck catches on fire, ship sinks, or plane crashes the book should have been insured for more. It was a mistake he wasn't notified. I'm sure he wouldn't have minded paying the extra grading fees and shipping costs.

My point is that CGC should have known a Hulk 181 CGC 9.6 is over the $3000 max for the express tier. It should have been bumped up to the next tier and insured properly. (Hulk 181 CGC 9.6 has a GPA of $4,029 (90 days) and a last sale of $4,850.)

Regardless, if the machine damages the book, the truck catches on fire, ship sinks, or plane crashes the book should have been insured for more. It was a mistake he wasn't notified. I'm sure he wouldn't have minded paying the extra grading fees and shipping costs.

Why should it be on CGC? Just because the OP can't tell a 9.0 book from a 9.6 book? It's more likely he "under-insured" to begin with just so he wouldn't have to pay for the higher grading tier. hm

Why should it be on CGC? Just because the OP can't tell a 9.0 book from a 9.6 book? It's more likely he "under-insured" to begin with just so he wouldn't have to pay for the higher grading tier. hm

If CGC had bumped the book to the higher tier it should adjust the return insurance accordingly. You basically pay the same for a single book insured for $1,000 as you do for a single book insured for $5,000.00. All that is needed is a change in the paperwork.

CGC is not in the business of assigning FMV to books, nor should they be. If your idea was in effect I suspect most customers would not like it. It's bad enough everyone complains about their grades, turnaround time, now you want to add their estimated cost of insurance into the mix. Not practical, not practical at all.

CGC is not in the business of assigning FMV to books, nor should they be. If your idea was in effect I suspect most customers would not like it. It's bad enough everyone complains about their grades, turnaround time, now you want to add their estimated cost of insurance into the mix. Not practical, not practical at all.

You don't think CGC's on the hook for a full value replacement (or FMV in cash), regardless of how much they insured the package for? If I ship you a $5K item and insure it $1K, isn't it my responsibility to make you whole for the other $4K? Getting the item into your hands is my responsibility. If it doesn't go well, I have to deal with it.

No?

To the OP - you paid for $1500 in insurance, and with just a little proof, there should be no reason you shouldn't get your money back.

Yep, that is what insurance is for.

I can tell you it took me over 6 months to get my money from USPS form a registered mail they never delivered.

Basically something that they have no rebuttals from I still got denied the first time.

I had all the receipts and paperwork.

Biggest hassle ever.

This I will put in bold cause I learned the hard way.

You must include the cost of CGC grading costs in your insurance value or you do not get reimbursed by USPS.

Box was lost on 9-15-2012 got my check 4-2013.

CGC does assign FMV to books. I know people who have been told by CGC after their books were graded they owed more money in grading fees, because the GPA FMV of their books was higher than the assigned value the customer proclaimed.

If it happens to you, maybe you won't like it. My friends on the other hand were happy to pay the fees. They simply didn't know the going rates for their high grade books and were excited to flip them.

CGC does assign FMV to books. I know people who have been told by CGC after their books were graded they owed more money in grading fees, because the GPA FMV of their books was higher than the assigned value the customer proclaimed.

If it happens to you, I suspect you won't like it. My friends on the other hand were happy to pay the fees. They simply didn't know the going rates for their high grade books and were excited to flip them.

Oh Bob when I see you in Chicago I know what we will be talking about.

Yes CGC is 110% in business to tell you what FMV is and charge you accordingly.

You don't think CGC's on the hook for a full value replacement (or FMV in cash), regardless of how much they insured the package for? If I ship you a $5K item and insure it $1K, isn't it my responsibility to make you whole for the other $4K? Getting the item into your hands is my responsibility. If it doesn't go well, I have to deal with it.

No?

Not in the slightest. The key here is that it's you (not CGC) who sets the insured value.

If I bought a $5k book from you and insisted that the insurance value be set at $1k because it would save me some $$ on shipping, would you reimburse me the extra $4k if the item was lost?

No?

Not in the slightest. The key here is that it's you (not CGC) who sets the insured value.

If I bought a $5k book from you and insisted that the insurance value be set at $1k because it would save me some $$ on shipping, would you reimburse me the extra $4k if the item was lost?

It's my responsibility to get the thing to you. The insurance is my problem. If I try to pass the cost on to you, that's fine, but it's still on me to get it to you. Whatever method I choose to use, it's my problem if it doesn't get there.

No?

It's my responsibility to get the thing to you. The insurance is my problem. If I try to pass the cost on to you, that's fine, but it's still on me to get it to you. Whatever method I choose to use, it's my problem if it doesn't get there.

So, again ... if I insist the insurance value should be set at $1k, and the item gets lost, you're going to reimburse me $4k out of your own pocket?

Another example:

You have a house worth $500k. You're buying homeowners insurance and tell the insurance company your house is worth $100k. They insure it for $100k. Your house burns to the ground. Do you now expect a $500k check in the mail?

No?

So, again ... if I insist the insurance value should be set at $1k, and the item gets lost, you're going to reimburse me $4k out of your own pocket?

Another example:

You have a house worth $500k. You're buying homeowners insurance and tell the insurance company your house is worth $100k. They insure it for $100k. Your house burns to the ground. Do you now expect a $500k check in the mail?

The house thing is not an analog. I'm not saying the insurer should may more, I'm saying the shipper should.

About the shipping, what you want me to set the insurance at is irrelevant. It's my responsibility to get the thing to you. The insurance is there to protect me, not you. If it's lost, I have to make it right. The insurance helps me do that. if I let you talk me into lowering the declared value, I'm only hurting myself.

No?

Another example:

The house thing is not an analog. I'm not saying the insurer should may more, I'm saying the shipper should.

About the shipping, what you want me to set the insurance at is irrelevant. It's my responsibility to get the thing to you. The insurance is there to protect me, not you. If it's lost, I have to make it right. The insurance helps me do that. if I let you talk me into lowering the declared value, I'm only hurting myself.

+1

It's comparable to an eBay buyer asking you to ship a CGC comic in a bubble envelope to save them on shipping costs. I can't just say "oh well, that's what they want, if it get's damaged it's on them".

When the slab gets all smashed up by USPS, guess what happens.......

No?

Another example:

The house analogy is completely valid here.

You seem to be missing the fact that you're not buying an item from CGC. You're mailing them your item, telling them how much insurance they should carry for your item while it's in their possession, and trusting that when they ship it back, the item will be insured for the amount you told them. Which is exactly what happened here.

If you want to save some $$ by submitting an item in a cheaper tier - or underinsuring the item in general - that's your problem. Much like it would be in any other case that involves insurance of an item that you own.

No?

Another example:

The house analogy is completely valid here.

You seem to be missing the fact that you're not buying an item from CGC. You're mailing them your item, telling them how much insurance they should carry for your item while it's in their possession, and trusting that when they ship it back, the item will be insured for the amount you told them. Which is exactly what happened here.

If you want to save some $$ by submitting an item in a cheaper tier - or underinsuring the item in general - that's your problem.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree about the shipping. :foryou:

About the house: that's a situation between me and an insurer. The shipping is a situation between me, a buyer, and an insurer. So, they're not the same thing. I'm not saying that the USPS (as insurer) should pay me more. I declared it as $1000, so that's what it is. But that has no bearing on the FMV of the item I'm shipping to you. For that, I am responsible, and if I insured it for less, even at your request, then I screwed up.