• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally got Neal Adams Signatures!

21 posts in this topic

A weekend at "The Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con"

For many years I have wanted to meet Neal Adams to shake his hand and obtain signatures in person for some of the items that I wish to keep in my private collection. Well this weekend presented the opportunity and let me say that I definitely took advantage of it.

I really had a ton of items that I want to get Neal's signature on from Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Avengers and X-men with the first Havok appearance to name a few, but I need to get those witnessed for signature series which will be a long process with the number of books I need to submit.

So, to make things easy I just took (3) items. Both issues of "The Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams and a copy of Strange Adventures #216 for a friend who also wanted Neal's signature.

Let me say I absolutely adore Neal, he is quite the showman when it comes to promoting at shows and makes you feel really at ease being so easy to approach.

I was also able to obtain a beautiful print of The Joker/Batman (see Pic).

So now I can't wait to start sending off books to have signed and slabbed.

Thanks for reading :)

13877.JPG

See more journals by Dre

I've walked by him several times at shows and he does seem really approachable. I just wish I had something worthy of his signature. I'll have to work on getting better copies of some of my X-men books, like the first Havok you mentioned, and get his signature before too long. Congrats!

sig.jpg

He really is an amazing guy to talk to and like you mentioned extremely approachable. He is usually my go to guy and I have had him sign a number of things as well as do a sketch on a blank cover for me. Some of my favorite conversational pieces from him were on what he life was like in Germany as a Military brat and if any of that affected his take on heroes he draws. On his upcoming series at the time, The First X-Men, and on what it was like in fighting to get comics there original art back.

He's had some amazing stories and even when I dont have something 9.8 I still always look for him. Just recently I picked up his Deadly Hands of Kung Fu to get him to sign later when I get a chance to swing by the Wizard World Austin this year.

K

Oh My Goodness! I just realized that I need to get my copy of Captain Victory #3 signed by Neal. That's the issue that I have with Jack Kirby's signature on it!

The book is not worth much in a dollar sense but I am pretty sure that there are not to many books floating around with both of their signatures on it. Heck I wouldn't even care about getting a qualified designation for it.

I did have a discussion about the cover art for Superman #233 the iconic breaking of the kryptonite chains! Neal said he really couldn't understand why everyone makes such a big deal out of it and that it really isn't one of his picks for his best cover. I told him the cover was larger than life with Superman breaking through the one thing that could bind him and or hold him back. It's so easy to relate that cover to everyday life.

You dont show his sigs on the Batman books, but I've found that when given the page he'll do a big signature, which is awesome to have in HCs. I have My Slipcased Deadman and Green Lantern/Green Arrow HCs both signed by him and wouldnt ever think of selling them!

Probably no one is a bigger Supes 233 fan than me!!! I have 24 different versions of 233 from all over the world. Neal told me the sketch took less than 45 minutes to do. His most proud cover is DC Special #6 with the cowboys, indians, horse, and spaceship it took over 8 hours to draw and no gave a s-h-i-t

Here is a link to all my #233's:

http://collectingsuperman.com/?p=1906

2013-06-05_15-29-28_641_zps5b40f06e.jpg

2012-11-09_16-33-49_964_zpsfb8955d3.jpg

2013-04-08_17-59-39_284_zps7247dd78.jpg

2012-11-13_11-38-35_5_zps207b4e81.jpg

2012-11-13_11-38-53_561_zpse2e269bb.jpg

2012-11-09_16-34-07_350_zps799e5b4a.jpg

His most proud cover is DC Special #6 with the cowboys, indians, horse, and spaceship it took over 8 hours to draw and no gave a s-h-i-t

I had a SS of that DC Special #6. I love that cover. There arent enough Western/Sci-Fi crossovers (outside of Space Cowboy) I LOVED that Adams cover and told him at DragonCon last year. He smiled and said "me too"

His most proud cover is DC Special #6 with the cowboys, indians, horse, and spaceship it took over 8 hours to draw and no gave a s-h-i-t

I had a SS of that DC Special #6. I love that cover. There arent enough Western/Sci-Fi crossovers (outside of Space Cowboy) I LOVED that Adams cover and told him at DragonCon last year. He smiled and said "me too"

WOW that is cool. I straight out asked Neal what was his all time favorite cover he ever done and he said the DC #6.

I asked him why was Batman 251, 232, and 227 so famous and outshine all the others. His exact reply: "Because Im f-u-c-k-i-n-g bad a-s-s!"

I laughed so hard :) and its true

As Tony (solarcadet) already knows, I've been a huge fan of Neal Adams for a long time and probably have the largest collection of foreign Adams books anywhere. Here's some of the stuff I've had signed or bought.

Domestics

th_Batman232.jpgth_Batman237.jpgth_Batman251_zpsd3b29a85.jpgth_DarkAvengers1Adams.jpgth_DCSpecial11.jpgth_GICombat168.jpg

th_HeartThrobs120.jpgth_MidOhioConAdams.jpgth_PhantomStranger14.jpgth_SecretHearts120.jpgth_SecretHearts134.jpgth_Superman243.jpg

th_SupermanFamily182.jpgth_YoungRomance154.jpg

Imports

th_Batman222Mexico-1.jpgth_Batman227bMexico_zpsf24f1586.jpgth_Batman227France.jpgth_Batman232bMexico_zpsf266b0e9.jpgth_Batman243Italy.jpgth_Batman245Mexico.jpg

th_Batman251bMexico_zps8cb7ce0b.jpgth_Batman251Canada.jpgth_Batman251Germany.jpgth_DetectiveComics395Mexico.jpgth_DetectiveComics404Belgium.jpgth_GreenLantern76Germany.jpg

th_GreenLantern85Dutch.jpgth_GreenLantern87Mexico.jpgth_Spectre4Mexico.jpgth_Superman233Mexico.jpgth_Superman317Mexico.jpg

thats awesome. i can't wait to meet him in nov for the Austin Wizard World. i've already got some money set aside for a full body sketch to be picked up there, but mostly just to say hi, shake his hand, take a picture and maybe have him share a story.