• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers Arena: what are your predictions? [spoilers galore]

13 posts in this topic

My prediction:

Apex slaughters most avengers using death locket, sentinel and darkhawk.

Christopher Powell returns; he reestablishes himself as darkhawk.

Darkhawk and Death Locket find some means of bringing Apex down.

X-23 wins the it all using her rejuvenation abilities.

What's your prediction?

Its all a Computer Simulation and the Heroes are hooked up to machines reading brain waves. The lasting effect will be once they escape they have knowledge of how they were betrayed

It's really frustrating me how much of a focus there is on Hazmat.

There are sixteen heroes in total & Hazmat continues to get much of the focus.

They are playing her out like Katniss (Jennifer Lawerence) in Hunger Games.

My prediction: they'll continue to spotlight Hazmat (yuck). Hazmat will seem to be the clear winner with X-23 swoops in & wins it all.

All of it is for not. As Ares predicted, it's either a simulation, dream state or something.

Another note on Hazmat: she seems to be 'easy'. She had a romance with Mettle and now she is with Reptil.

Avengers Arena is not the place for a Hazmat reptil romance. The proper place for that is Avengers Academy.

$4, twice a month.

lol

I am not surprised: Your prediction is spot on. It is now a bimonthly series.

I was surprised: to see Avengers Arena on many of the iFanboy's best reads lists:

http://ifanboy.com/articles/top-5-best-comic-book-series-right-now/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ifanboy+%28iFanboy.com+Site+Content%29

Nico for the win!

Saga and Avengers Arena has influenced me to read Runaways (the first two volumes anyway).

I was lucky enough to pick up all eleven trades (digests and tpbs -- no hardcovers) for $35 after shipping (Feebay).

Has anyone read Civil War Runaways vs New Avengers? Or the New Avengers volumes? Is it well acclaimed?

Nico for the win!

Saga and Avengers Arena has influenced me to read Runaways (the first two volumes anyway).

I was lucky enough to pick up all eleven trades (digests and tpbs -- no hardcovers) for $35 after shipping (Feebay).

Has anyone read Civil War Runaways vs New Avengers? Or the New Avengers volumes? Is it well acclaimed?

Only the Brian K Vaughan run is worth reading IMO. The Joss Whedon run is a little slow and dry and volume 3 was a complete disaster. The crossovers don't add much to the canon.

Nico for the win!

Only the Brian K Vaughan run is worth reading IMO. The Joss Whedon run is a little slow and dry and volume 3 was a complete disaster. The crossovers don't add much to the canon.

I agree. Vaughn, Whedon and Moore. You would think that would be a classic set of runs with that star power.

My thoughts after completing the 18 issue run (full) are below.

Due to the subject of this thread, I will not use spoiler tags.

Story I have mixed feelings. It was okay, but not even good. It seemed as though they brought in the major super heroes (Wolverine, Capt America) to keep you guessing. Aside from that, there is zero value add to their appearance. I am glad they didn't close by having some random hero win. I am also glad it wasn't just a dream sequence all along. It was a good way to close some things aside from the fact that there was little to no explanation as to how Apex and Death Locket made it to Arcade's hideout.

Use of some characters I would say they used half of the characters well. They used the following decently: Anarchism, Bloodstone, Hazmat, Nara, and X-23. Used very well: Apex and Death Locket.

Throughout the run, I thought Cammi and Hazmat were the same person. It wasn't until literally the last issue that I realized they were different people. Cammi was a wasted character completely much like Reptil. The only thing Reptil did was fight Anarchonism in the end.

Regarding the Runaways characters In the letter after the series, Hopeless claimed the Runaways is one of his favorite books. I have to call horse manure on that one. Sure, he doesn't want to use any of Nico's single use only spells, but there is no indication that he has a love of Nico or Chase. And what was going on when Bloodstone was referring to "something" between Nico and Chase? What is that?!?!? Runaways spoilers:

Nico is most likely a lesbian and Chase had a romance with Gertrude.

The class picture Page one of the issue had a class picture where they crossed off a character after they got killed. That was extremely inaccurate. Hopeless claims his operations team updated it without any input. I find trouble believing that.

My suspicion It's weird that they went to a bimonthly run all of sudden for a relatively short story (18 issues). Are they better catering to Hopeless' schedule? Or are they expediting this story so they can move onto a new version with more popular super heroes?

Would I recommend? Unless Hunger Games or Battle Royale is something you're extremely interested in, steer away! Even if you are a Runaways, New Avengers or X-23 fan.