• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Appearance of Flash / Hawkman, opinions please

4 posts in this topic

Wondered if this has ever been discussed. I just picked up a More Fun 50 and noticed that in the guide its worth around 2k while issue 51 is worth nearly 7k due to the promotion of the Spectre in the next issue.

So here on the last page is an ad for Flash Comics #1 with an image of both Flash and Hawkman. I wouldn't suggest that this is a first appearance but might it not at least represent a break out in the guide similar to the #51? Flash #1 is dated Jan 1940 while the More Fun 50 is dated Dec 1939 and the ad is promoting a future delivery of Flash #1, definitely meaning that the More Fun 50 came out prior. How significant do y'all think this is?

I'm already preparing my ebay ad. "MUST HAVE FOR ANY FLASH COLLECTOR!!!" "FIRST APPEARANCE......" tongue.giftongue.gif

Anyway its pretty cool, and I have always had a soft spot for old comic ads, especially of keys.

morefun50pap.jpg

interesting point. Was this the one and only appearance of this ad? If it appeared in many issues that month, that would lower its importance and price. Theres also the issue of a pre-first appearance ad/cameo in the previous issue of the same title, like MF51 and Tec 26. Those have always been considered "collectible".

It's cool for the ad, but it doesn't compare to a true first appearance. That's`why the More Fun # 51 is so much higher, first apperance of the Spectre. Many books have ads for up-coming issues. Just MHO. flowerred.gif