• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classics Illustrated

11 posts in this topic

Hi all

:hi:

Apologies if there is a thread addressing this somewhere else (could find none).

I've been unpacking some boxes of comics I collected and inherited as a kid, and found my folder with Classics Illustrated comics. I scanned the resources but thought I'd ask here what the thoughts, values etc for these comics are. My set vary in age from 1948 through to early 70s, and are in not too bad shape.

Your advice would be much appreciated (worship)

The hours of silence you just experienced is indicative of the level of interest in Classics Illustrated.

They can be really fun, I've even got a few (KIRBY!), but for the most part, unless you have early, original editions under the "Classic Comics" title, interest is usually low.

One of the things keeping these often cool comics (Matt Baker did a Lorna Doone cover) from greater popularity is the hassle in determining which version is which. The Overstreet guide has a large section dedicated to educating collectors about HRN (highest re-order number), but I've never quite gotten the hang of it.

All I can do is wish you good luck!

The hours of silence you just experienced is indicative of the level of interest in Classics Illustrated.

They can be really fun, I've even got a few (KIRBY!), but for the most part, unless you have early, original editions under the "Classic Comics" title, interest is usually low.

One of the things keeping these often cool comics (Matt Baker did a Lorna Doone cover) from greater popularity is the hassle in determining which version is which. The Overstreet guide has a large section dedicated to educating collectors about HRN (highest re-order number), but I've never quite gotten the hang of it.

:signfunny:

The HRN system is somewhat complex, but the OPG does a nice, if lengthy job of explaining it. I think there are a few other factors. The Classic comics are very plentiful, and they tend to be educational. I never did, but I have heard stories of students reading one of these, in lieu of the the actual book for doing book reports. I do not think the artwork is quite up to the standards set by DC and Marvel either. (shrug)

2c

:signfunny:

The HRN system is somewhat complex, but the OPG does a nice, if lengthy job of explaining it. I think there are a few other factors. The Classic comics are very plentiful, and they tend to be educational. I never did, but I have heard stories of students reading one of these, in lieu of the the actual book for doing book reports. I do not think the artwork is quite up to the standards set by DC and Marvel either. (shrug)

2c

I found the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde CI story online for my daughter when she was in Middle School and hadn't gotten around to reading the book the night before her book report was due. It sufficed.

People sometimes think they have earlier editions because the copyright date inside sometimes reflects the original year of publication. Frequently when someone advertises on craigslist and the like that they have comics from the 40s through the 70s, they've made this error, and actually only have late 60s early seventies Classics with a 1940s copyright date. While figuring out exactly which edition a particular copy is would require a guide, if the highest re-order number on the back cover is higher than the number on the front, then it's not a first edition.

My parents approved of Classics Illustrated when I was ten. They were my reading matter of choice when at the summer cottage. I usually sought out the Jules Verne and H.G. Wells titles.

I wouldn't mind finding some of those issues from 1966 and 1967. :grin:

With highest reorder numbers of 166 and 167, they are fairly plentiful --- but many of them were well-loved, so condition is an issue and the paper quality is suspect. Not to mock a sad state but you can close your eyes as you approach the Classics Illustrated at a show and the smell of decaying paper can lead you to the proper section. :(

I recently started buying some of the early forties Classics Comics originals. They are fun books and more interesting than the later editions and issues which got fairly pedestrian.

Having said that the entire series is quite interesting and represents a very successful publishing venture by an obscure publisher who pushed their product out on a global scale.

The early issues with their banner logos, 10¢ cover price, line art covers and in the earliest ones, "comics" in the title, have the look and appeal of a typical Golden Age comic. Later on with the endless reprints, painted covers, higher cover price, and atypical distribution patterns, they came to seem like something other than a normal comic. When I was a kid in the sixties and seventies, they were something you'd find at the pediatrician's, next to the Highlights Magazine, or purchased by adults who disapproved of the garish drivel junior was always reading in hope of swaying him away from comics into reading literature.

Thanks for all the advice, most I have are still in rather good condition, question now is to determine which years they actually come from, I have a feeling there are a few early ones, with the most the late sixties/ early seventies editions