• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The John Berk Collection

29 posts in this topic

Okay...the story...I was at a NY con at Sparkle City's booth when it was Sparkle City....I had made a purchase of a Centaur. ...Jay and Joe knew I collected Centaurs...They said this guy Ernie Gerber was trying to photograph all GA books...and was having a tough time tracking down Centaurs....Anywho....I had most of them and Ernie trekked out to photograph 200 plus of them (check the upper paragraphs of the first photojournal acknowledgments...

Some years later when he was up for the marvels...he called and asked how my marvel collection was....Well except for some love and westerns it was complete....If you have seen the Deluxe version....those are my Atlas books as well as the Marvel Mags and the foreign comics..It was my idea for those and Ernie bought into it..

He and Paul would shoot a half page at a time (which accounts for the lack of color quality from the GA volumes for which -at GREAT expense- had individual color separation) to save on separation costs. He would have a board with black velvet with shirt pins with the heads cut off to support the books from the bottom....He took each book out of its bag....It took me a LONG time to get everthing back in order....The hobby is deeply in debt to Ernie's work....As you may know, the books were not a "financial success"....Jon

It was luck and curiousity that led me to find Larson. It was neat puzzle to figure out. The best part was finding the drug store owner where he got the books (They put them aside and wrote----"Larson" ----on them.) The picture of Larson as a nine year old is the neat part for me...Oh and by the way gang it is "Jon"

It was luck and curiousity that led me to find Larson. It was neat puzzle to figure out. The best part was finding the drug store owner where he got the books (They put them aside and wrote----"Larson" ----on them.) The picture of Larson as a nine year old is the neat part for me...Oh and by the way gang it is "Jon"

Welcome to the Boards Jon! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I always enjoyed the articles you wrote in CBM, I wish you were writing for them on a more frequent basis these days. I know you will offer a lot of knowledge and experience to fellow board members.

West

I always enjoyed the articles you wrote in CBM, I wish you were writing for them on a more frequent basis these days. I know you will offer a lot of knowledge and experience to fellow board members.

West

Thanks for the kind words...the articles get to take more time, since I try to provide substance and add to the fabric of comic history....I got one in mind for my next, but knowing me, it will take me a year to get it together....jon

West

Thanks for the kind words...the articles get to take more time, since I try to provide substance and add to the fabric of comic history....I got one in mind for my next, but knowing me, it will take me a year to get it together....jon

One years time, huh? That means we have to wait about 31 million seconds...let the countdown begin! news.gif

West