• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROUND 8 : Contest

91 posts in this topic

What I want to know is, who on Comicmankev's team is the grading whiz? Is it one person in particular, or is the whole team just nailing them? Very impressive performance, guys!

For me several of the books have been seriously overgraded so far. Whoever has nailed all the grades so far I would not buy raw books from. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I feel the exact same way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I want to know is, who on Comicmankev's team is the grading whiz? Is it one person in particular, or is the whole team just nailing them? Very impressive performance, guys!

For me several of the books have been seriously overgraded so far. Whoever has nailed all the grades so far I would not buy raw books from.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have to disagree with all of you.

893frustrated.gif

1) Books start at 10.0 are work their way down.

It appears most people on this board, think books start at 9.4, therefore one or

two spine stress lines means the book is less than 9.4. WRONG!!!!

2) I have over 150 CGC books from the GA to BA. I can see one or two small defects on the 10 plus 9.6's I have. EVERY ONE has a DEFECT. So are all 10 OVERGRADED or is that what a 9.6's is (a book with one or two very small defects).

3) Remember the book that every OVERGRADED (came in at a 6.5 most likely because of the stain that transferred to the inside). The problem is that people will see that book (and the defects that CAN BE SEEN) and then make the ASSUMPTION thats what a 6.5 (FINE PLUS) book is. Once again WRONG. The book (as is the case many times) is the grade because of what can be seen and what CAN'T BE SEEN.

Sorry for the rant, but this sounds like the same argument when they take a survey regarding driving skills. In every survery around 80-90% of the people say they are BETTER THEN AVERAGE. That can't be. If you believe almost every book is overgraded than you don't know how to grade like CGC (which is what we are trying to do).

sign-rantpost.gif

For me several of the books have been seriously overgraded so far. Whoever has nailed all the grades so far I would not buy raw books from. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

flowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifdevil.gifCheck 'em out! devil.gif

For me several of the books have been seriously overgraded so far. Whoever has nailed all the grades so far I would not buy raw books from.

Have to disagree with all of you.

893frustrated.gif

1) Books start at 10.0 are work their way down.

It appears most people on this board, think books start at 9.4, therefore one or

two spine stress lines means the book is less than 9.4. WRONG!!!!

2) I have over 150 CGC books from the GA to BA. I can see one or two small defects on the 10 plus 9.6's I have. EVERY ONE has a DEFECT. So are all 10 OVERGRADED or is that what a 9.6's is (a book with one or two very small defects).

3) Remember the book that every OVERGRADED (came in at a 6.5 most likely because of the stain that transferred to the inside). The problem is that people will see that book (and the defects that CAN BE SEEN) and then make the ASSUMPTION thats what a 6.5 (FINE PLUS) book is. Once again WRONG. The book (as is the case many times) is the grade because of what can be seen and what CAN'T BE SEEN.

Sorry for the rant, but this sounds like the same argument when they take a survey regarding driving skills. In every survery around 80-90% of the people say they are BETTER THEN AVERAGE. That can't be. If you believe almost every book is overgraded than you don't know how to grade like CGC (which is what we are trying to do).

sign-rantpost.gif

Do you think all 8 books appear to be accurately graded (per CGC standards)? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think a couple appear to be over-graded per CGC standards (like this one), which is what blowout's comment ("several of the books") indicate. I don't believe anyone is saying CGC overgrades... 893naughty-thumb.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

I have no problem with most of your post, but there's something wrong with your logic in the section I quoted above: The comments in this thread have not been about CGC books as a whole but those shown in the grading contest. Banner called them possible "outliers."

The logic problem is this: These books are not part of a random distribution, they are hand-selected by Nikos, and more power to him! It's his contest, and if I were him I'd also want to stump the crowd, and demonstrate the ranges of different outcomes that result from independent 3rd party grading. Is Nikos intentionally looking for the surprising CGC grades? Who knows? Am I learning a lot about the ranges of conditions allowed within a CGC grade? Heck yeah!

Now my hope is we'll all appreciate variability inherent in any measurement system, including funny book grading, and maybe take some of the wind out of the sails of the clean/press/resubmit and other perennial conspiracy theories around here. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Do you think all 8 books appear to be accurately graded (per CGC standards)?

I think a couple appear to be over-graded per CGC standards (like this one), which is what blowout's comment ("several of the books") indicate. I don't believe anyone is saying CGC overgrades...

Regarding all 8 books, I thought that they were accurately grade (based on CGC standards). That's why our team score is what it is. Yes, like most, we udergraded on the book with the stain.

How many books in the contest appear to be UNDERGRADED in your opinion?

Do you think all 8 books appear to be accurately graded (per CGC standards)?

I think a couple appear to be over-graded per CGC standards (like this one), which is what blowout's comment ("several of the books") indicate. I don't believe anyone is saying CGC overgrades...

Regarding all 8 books, I thought that they were accurately grade (based on CGC standards). That's why our team score is what it is. Yes, like most, we udergraded on the book with the stain.

How many books in the contest appear to be UNDERGRADED in your opinion?

Undergraded? None that come to mind...overgraded, a couple.

Your post was very interesting and your grading seems to pretty much match CGC's grading criteria. Maybe after this contest is over, you could post your own grading criteria and how much to downgrade for each kind of defect... thumbsup2.gif

(Or maybe we all could.)

Regarding all 8 books, I thought that they were accurately grade (based on CGC standards).

If you seriously think that the AT #25 and the SS #8 were acurately graded then you would certainly be on my list of people not to buy raw books from.

Honestly, I would rather be doing badly in the contest, than basing my grading standards on how those books were graded.

I can see that on the SS #8, I had that book estimated to come back as a FN/VF with a shot at a VF-, but on the AT #25, book in hand, the grade given was in no means generous. That book I thought had a chance to come back at a NM.

Regarding all 8 books, I thought that they were accurately grade (based on CGC standards).

If you seriously think that the AT #25 and the SS #8 were acurately graded then you would certainly be on my list of people not to buy raw books from.

Honestly, I would rather be doing badly in the contest, than basing my grading standards on how those books were graded.

Do you honestly believe that most people who grade their own books and then other peoples books are perfectrly unbaised?

Said another way, you would rather buy books from someone on this board who always LOWBALLS the grade of a book then someone whom seems to accurately grade the books? That's just wishful thinking if you believe they wouldn't UP the grade of their books.

Also, regarding the SS #8, other then spine wear (none of it major, but made more noticable by the black parts of the cover and huge scan), what else keeps this from being a VF? I've got lots of CGC 8.0./8.5 books (agree most from the 50's) that look exactly, if not worse then this book.

Also, regarding the SS #8, other then spine wear (none of it major, but made more noticable by the black parts of the cover and huge scan), what else keeps this from being a VF?

List of defects on the SS #8;

-Abraded top and bottom left corners.

-At least 8 spine stresses on front cover, most break color worse around both staples.

-Fingerprint stains (black) in the letter F of 'Surfer'.

-Minor blunting on top and bottom right corners.

-Multiple spine stress along back of spine.

-Light soiling on back cover.

A book with this number of defects is a 7.0 at best by Overstreet standards, and since these are the standards CGC claims to base their grading criteria on, an 8.0 is an overgrade.