• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is a 9.6 so bad?

144 posts in this topic

as for moderns, when 9.6's are 50+% cheaper then their 9.8 counterparts, time to think about picking up the 9.6

we can all be 9.8 snobs, but remember that there are two full grades higher then 9.8, if you want to play that game

:preach:

Speaking my language brother...

like everything else, its a personal preference.

it took me some searching to find these:

E7BA3173-DA43-49BD-A839-23F21E0F2054-7358-0000076723192328.jpg

i was gunning for the GSX1 in 8.0, but that 8.5 came up for sale via real auction, so i went for it :)

oh, and another thing i forgot to add, NO Miswraps for me! hate hate hate those. ugh. they even bothered me when i was a kid collecting comics

as for moderns, when 9.6's are 50+% cheaper then their 9.8 counterparts, time to think about picking up the 9.6

we can all be 9.8 snobs, but remember that there are two full grades higher then 9.8, if you want to play that game

couldn't have said it better

My 2 cents: 9.6 has the biggest price difference of any side by side grade, and is due for a change soon.

The secondary market purchases/exchanges these grades as if being purchased as GUARENTEES, while CGC, and all other grading company's grades are only the opinion of 2-3 whomever-is-working-this-shift-graders. We pay for the third party opinion of some random employees that COULD CHANGE day to day. we all have 9.6 that look 9.8, 9.8 that look like 9.6, heck I have 9.4/9.2's that look better than 9.6's I have, of the same cgc book.

I have strong feelings about the 9.6/9.8 market. It seems the price range is skewed FAR lower than it should be. where the biggest jump in $$ price range is from 9.6 to 9.8, it should be grouped FAR closer.

8.5/9, 9.2/9.4, 9.6/9.8, and 9.9/10.

Most of my complaint is in this area where I have the most 9.6's that look like 9.8's, and 9.8 that look like 9.6/9.4, affected by the HUGE price difference without ANY MEASURABLE defect differences that can be noted. This range HAS to grow closer soon. No real condition difference in this grade.

3RD party is all still just OPINION, and we put way to much $$$$ on those opinions as being fact. 3RD party began in the sports card market as a way to have a un-biased middle opinion due to the increase in internet and long distance purchases where the two party's could not examine for themselves a grade. it has always been just an opinion. We have made it something else....

on another note: I Just got a 9.6 blue label iron man 128 today. I wouldn't put it at anything above 9.4 at BEST! Frayed upper left corner, printing error crease line across the books front and back cover, spine ticks, but hey, what do I know.

Thanks CGC, for the 9.6 opinion that I can now use as fact on ebay (thumbs u (thumbs u

SIDE NOTE:9.9 / 10's - I just need to say THIS RANGE SCARES ME. For the market (the buyers and sellers, of which I am not one) to put such a high $$ premiuim on a OPINION of 9.9/10 grade by two to three people of random shift at their work, that has no firm guarantee it could not be graded for less if re-submitted, is IMO foolish and a crash waiting to happen. this is a market in a market I do not believe in anyway so I guess since I don't participate, who cares what I think.

@CBP

9.9/10.0 is lightning in a bottle (I agree with you). Someone was asking me about cracking a 9.9 for a SS. I said "NO way." There's a 99% chance (IMHO) that a cracked 9.9 will not come back 9.9.

Am I wrong (for argument sake)? lol

@CBP

9.9/10.0 is lightning in a bottle (I agree with you). Someone was asking me about cracking a 9.9 for a SS. I said "NO way." There's a 99% chance (IMHO) that a cracked 9.9 will not come back 9.9.

If opinions were boats, we would both be on the same cruise.

When I do play the speculation game, one of my biggest indicators is the performance of the 9.6.

If you look at a few examples of comics that rose rather quickly over a short period of time (2-3 years) such as any TWD key (1,2,19,27), the Saga Retailer Variant, PP #1, New Mutants 98, YTLM 1, etc-- a big indicator for me to get in (or get out) was the frequency of 9.6 sales being offered and completed. You know you've got something worth while when even grade snobs are so infatuated with a book, that even something below a 9.8 gets play.

That said, when a hit starts to sink fast, if you don't have anything other than a 9.8, good luck getting rid of it.

@CBP

If opinions were boats, we would both be on the same cruise.

lol:takeit:

@CPB

I agree with you that, if CGC continues to vary in quality of its grades, then prices across grades should concentrate closer as market participants command/demand smaller premiums for higher grades.

However, if grading is consistent, then prices of grades SHOULD vary greatly. High grade issues, of most productions, will not be distributed evenly - I would expect them to have a normal distribution, meaning very high grades and very low grades of moderns are few and far between. Well, it would probably skew right (if you were to chart grades increasing from left to right).

http://www.mathsisfun.com/data/standard-normal-distribution.html

I crack a lot of copper/early modern books for SS, and I buy a lot of 9.6s for a deal for this purpose. I get a lot of beautiful 9.6s that bump, in fact I'd say somewhere around 30-40% of them go up to 9.8 on resubmit after getting signed. An average 9.6 tends to hold, but those books that look the part do often go up. Same with the weak 9.8s that find their true level and drop on resub. I'm to the point where I am happier cracking 9.6, because I've only had one drop (and I knew it was shaky) and nice success on upgrades. 9.8s hold their grade as a best case scenario, so the upside is less and the risk higher.

Often it does seem like the 9.6/9.8 boundary is a coin flip.