• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is a 9.6 so bad?

144 posts in this topic

Someone mentioned this in the EoW thread and I have talked with Eric about this topic...

I mean really... 9.6 is still really good, so why does the market frown on these poor babies.

An $80 9.8 can be had in 9.6 for $40 (example) ... and they laugh at 9.4's

Your thoughts?

Someone mentioned this in the EoW thread and I have talked with Eric about this topic...

I mean really... 9.6 is still really good, so why does the market frown on this poor babies.

An $80 9.8 can be had in 9.6 for $40 (example) ... and they laugh at 9.4's

Your thoughts?

Exactly Ryan...such perfectionists maybe? hm

I'll give you an example I got a 9.4 CGC SS on a Helheim ECCC #! variant. I've looked it over in the plastic tomb and it looks at least 9.6 to me. It all depends on the day and the tiredness of the graders eyes. 2c

The problem is, since these comics were released to the public only a year or so ago (heck some a few weeks ago), they are expected to be 9.8, 9.9, 10. They are also using better paper stock for covers, etc. vs. their older counterparts in Copper, Bronze...

but to your question. I have many 9.6's I am content with

From my perspective, a 9.4 or 9.6 on a modern book can be bought almost anywhere for cover. So why pay exorbitant prices unless the book is difficult to find?

And if you are into investing in only the highest quality book for your collection, the perception of a 9.8 is a little more difficult to find and the hassle of sending it in to CGC makes it worthwhile to buy them already slabbed.

I try to buy all moderns at a 9.8 but would settle for 9.2-9.6 for bronze and copper.

Bronze and coppers I don't even look at 9.8s usually. I love a 9.6

Moderns.. I'm on the fence.. Because if you wait you can find them low enough in 9.8 at times.

But

A book like sixth gun #1.. Il pay for a 9.6 and be happy.. The difference in 9.8 and 9.6 are higher.

I understand where your comming from Ryan I I think it all. Depends on the collectors

And I feel the same way but there is a definite major drop in price when it goes from 9.8 to a 9.6

Best example asm 300 9.8 about 900 $ and 9.6 not even half

Good topic nate

Here's another question that kinda pertains to this topic. I wonder what would happen for a test of cgc's grading if you submitted a book and got a 9.4-9.6 grade, get it back, crack the case open and resubmit later on would the book come back in same grade? I tend to think since the graders are human so would be the changes higher or lower in grades. 2c

It happens all the time I know people who submitted books 3 times and twice got different grades

It goes through 3 people I think 2 people do the view of the grade if they match up it goes to the top grader for a final decision on grade thats what I hear

It was me that brought it up. So for me, as I deal with silvers much more than Moderns, its all about the book. Moderns are frustrating in that it seems like 9/10 hit 9.8. When I hit 9.6 and the $ is cut in half, it does matter. Its a subjective number which makes it frustrating. I do like having the slab grade. If i didn't mind resubmitting than i wouldn't care, but i do.If its for a silver it's not as important as grades are all over the place and the book really does mean as much/more than the grade.

CALLED OUT. i feel the burn :)

I would prefer a 9.8.

lol I think we would all prefer a 9.8 but the point is dose it really kill the book to get a 9.6

I think its like they say effects moderns more then anything anything below 9.8 is hard to swallow (thumbs u

How many times did you send in a modern (2011 or newer) book with the hopes it got a 9.6?

touché

My point is that a 9.6 is nearly a 9.8 with a few (almost imperceivable) imperfections.

Case and point...

I bought this YTLM two months ago for $160. In 9.8 it's a $400-$500 book. Granted, I'd love a 9.8 (we all love 9.8's), but I'll take my $240+ from having a non-9.8 and buy something else. Once again, it comes down to priorities and preferences.

8741569928_53cc91031c_z.jpg

I agree with CallMeSang - I can find 9.4/9.6 raw moderns all day long, but finding a 9.8+ is much harder, and thus comes with a premium. There are many books that I would be content with in 9.6 . . . but mostly because they are so expensive in 9.8. lol

However, sometimes I collect just for completion, i.e. a complete run of Avengers. For that purpose, grade is much less important.