• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #5 CGC 9.4.........

13 posts in this topic

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?source=&Sale_No=813&Lot_No=1592

Anyone care to guess how high this one will go? As far as I know, this is the first publically offered 9.4, and is a book that is infamous for being tough in grade. I know of at least a couple of big spenders who are missing this book in 9.4, and I can forsee a bidding frenzy in the closing hours of this auction. Also, for Marvel collectors, this isn't a huge auction in terms of the amount of quality being offered, so I'm guessing that a lot of eyes are on this book.

My guess is $2500 - $3000.

This is Actually my FAVORITE "Early" Avengers Story, a real page turner. would love to own a High-grade copy (hey, maybe that's the reason for the lack of NICE copies, everyone loved the story, and read it a few times). But I can't spend anywhere near that estimate...maybe I'll get lucky someday.

a Uk buyer hit the BIN for a stunning 9.6 a few months ago, it was $5000 i think

maybe this is the copy he replaced

Well, this one was slabbed on Aug, 4 of this year, so throw that into the mix. I'm really quite happy with the 9.0 I picked up from Blazing Bob this year. It also looks like Heritage finally found the brightness control on their scanner......although the enlarged version of the front scan still doesn't seem to be coming up.

I couldn't get the supersize front cover either; I was trying to get a closer look at The Hulk on the cover, he looks like a big green midget to me, and Thor's face? Kirby must have done this cover in about six minutes tops!

I hear you...I commented in another thread not long ago that the Hulk looks like a green lawn gnome on this cover. Almost as bad as he looks on the cover of FF #26. Kirby really ripped this one off.....I think he was doing a ton of stuff at this stage.

Yeah - that and the JiM 89 9.0 are about the only interesting books. It looks like they are going to just run these auctions into the ground - on top of having auctions 2x a month on the internet, it looks like these "special" auctions are now monthly. I gave up on them over a year ago when the bumps became ridiculous and some of the prices paid made no sense to me. Also since they have these on ebay prior to the sale, I can't figure out why anyone would consign with them and pay the extra fees. Maybe comiclink will sue them also for stealing their comic book auction idea even though heritage was doing it first. As far as the price goes on the Avengers 5 - it might end up at $5000 or more as it is on Heritage otherwise I would say $2500.