• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That signature is worth WHAT?

24 posts in this topic

In my case, I have recently bought two signed comics from the artist, himself over the internets. I have kept copies of the order, the e-mails we traded and pictures. Was their something else I could have done or should have done to show that the signature is authentic?

only way to show a sig is authentic: witness it. Or almost as good have it witnessed by someone you totally trust.

after that its all up to scrutiny.

Photos can be copies, can be of different copies than the book you got (1 picture of McFarlane signing a Spawn #1 can be used to sell 100 fake Spawn signed books).

If its strong provenance then at least the authenticity is plausible.

I.e. Jack Kirby signed book, bought from original owner who got him to sign the book at SCC back in '87. You check and yes Jack was at SCCin 1987. And seller has a picture of him with Jack at a con. And signature looks right. Is it a sure thing, no, but its at least plausible.

Thanks for the reply, Met, although I tend to disagree a bit with your angle.

A signed book has always some added value, if the signature is authentic. Especially if it has a bit of history behind it.

In fact, your example is perfect, as I was mostly interested in how books signed by dead creators would be treated.

I know how I treasure the few I had Jack Kirby sign me. The only witness I had was Roz, and now she’s reached Jack, but I know they are authentic. :D

Well, I also have pictures. :cloud9: