• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That signature is worth WHAT?

24 posts in this topic

I'm wondering how do you put a price on a signature?

I can see if somebody charges to sign, but if they don't, then how do you figure out what the FMV is?

Second part of the question, if I wanted to get an Astonishing Tales 25 that is already graded a 9.8, signed by George Perez(I have no idea where or how), and I DONT PLAN ON SELLING IT.

Here's the deal, if CGC and Perez are getting together, I'm looking to pay somebody on here to take that book, get it signed, re sub it and get it back home. I know there are folks on here who are really, really, really good at getting sigs on nice spots on books, and who are trustworthy and who enjoy making money.

The only thing I worry about is the fact that this book is already graded 9.8, and will have to be cracked open, so should I do it?

There are several board members whose primary competency is doing exactly what you're asking. I would have no problem sending them a 9.8.

1) Find the book

2) Find out where Perez will be appearing

3) Find a facilitator that will be attending the event

4) Send the book and payment for the service to the facilitator

5) Wait for the book to come back

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6696913

This guy is accepting subs for Dragon Con. One problem is, is that Dragon Con is still far away, but it's already been confirmed that Perez will be in attendance. The other problem is if you're actually willing to risk your book being taken out of the slab.

If only there a was sub forum for this type of s

1) Find the book

2) Find out where Perez will be appearing

3) Find a facilitator that will be attending the event

4) Send the book and payment for the service to the facilitator

5) Wait for the book to come back

6) cut a hole in that box

Suggest checking out the signature sub forum. There is a noob q and a thread

Cracking a 9.8 for signature is not a rare activity.

Lots of books get cracked for signature. Good facilitators have experience doing so and are willing to do it.

+The upside of sending a slab for them to crack is you dont have to worry so much about damage when shipping the book to them.

-The downside is you are putting your books condition in the hands of someone else (in terms of cracking the slab). Facilitators are good at what they do, but things happen, so know that theres always that posibility (even if slight)

There's also the chance that on the resub (for SS) the book gets re-graded and comes back a 9.6. Even if nothing happens to the book.

Or Perez bumps a corner, or drops the book, or something and it gets damaged down to a 9.6.

My suggestion, if you have a nice raw Astonishing Tales 25, get that raw one signed. I'll buy a CGC SS 9.8, but creating one is a risky business especially with rolling the dice on cracking an already slabbed/graded 9.8.

That way you have a signed copy, and an uberhigh grade one. and didnt have to risk either way.

Not going to push here...but I'm the facilitator for Super Con...and I've cracked multiple blue labels that keep a 9.8

Perez charges $5 for his Sig for SS. He has TWO signatures, his conventional, and his artist sig, which is my favorite.

:)

no criticism intended of the facilitators regarding a book keeping its 9.8, I'd be more worried about the apparent/perceived tight grading these days at CGC. Even with no change in the books condition, it could regrade as a 9.6.

This is true.

Althought a 9.8 to 9.8 ratio is good.

Anything factors can bring it to a 9.6..something missed during the original grading ect...

Nothing is guaranteed.

A related question: how non-CGC signed books should be treated related to non-signed FMV?

I mean, what would be a fair price for a signed book, considered the regular book value? I guess it’s pretty different according to the artist, but just trying to have an idea.

A related question: how non-CGC signed books should be treated related to non-signed FMV?

I mean, what would be a fair price for a signed book, considered the regular book value? I guess it’s pretty different according to the artist, but just trying to have an idea.

For most books they dont increase in value. Unless they happen to be signed by hard to find creators, or creators who have passed away, then they could fetch a premium.

the high water mark is probably raw Kirby signed books which can go for $100-200, depending on the book. (books unsigned value looks to be $20-50)

but creators who are readily available at the cons dont add value to the books they sign (at least from my perspective)

I mean, what would be a fair price for a signed book, considered the regular book value? I guess its pretty different according to the artist, but just trying to have an idea.

For most books they dont increase in value. Unless they happen to be signed by hard to find creators, or creators who have passed away, then they could fetch a premium.

the high water mark is probably raw Kirby signed books which can go for $100-200, depending on the book. (books unsigned value looks to be $20-50)

but creators who are readily available at the cons dont add value to the books they sign (at least from my perspective)

it varies, suggest looking at ebay completed sales and gpa just to get an idea.

Have him sign another nice raw copy. At worst, have him sign the slab with a paint pen and a few photographs of the signing.

Deslabbing, handling, signing, handling, reslabbing - too much risk for a 9.8 of a bronze semi-key. No matter how good anyone's track record is with managing the process. IMHO.