• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

****Thead Closed**** Mick’s Mix High Grade GA/SA/BA WAR,

139 posts in this topic

Our Army at War #107 8.0 Off-white

Black Kubert. Took me more than 20 years to get this copy and I was totally thrilled. Then upgraded within a year. . .go figure.

Census: 2 in 9.4, 1 in 8.5, 1 in 8.0, 3 in 7.5

OPG 8.0: $132.00

Board price: $220.00

oaaw107f_zpsbf1bddb7.jpg

Now that is a cover. Sublime.

Our Army at War #218 9.2 White

1st appearance of one of the most underrated sagas of ALL time. I don’t know if DC ever will reprint these in Archive Edition or Showcase format, but the USS Stevens is truly THE best-kept secret among war comics collectors. Sam Glanzman LIVED these stories during his days as a sailor on the USS Stevens during WWII. Some day, people will understand the brilliance of emotion, action, tragedy, whimsy, and introspection that this series conveyed in the space of 4 pages each issue. I get the impression that there’re a lot of folks who give a nod to the better writing coming out of the Bronze Age, but that it doesn’t tend to carry the same nostalgic resonance of the Silver Age series. If ANY series could claim both qualities, it’s Sam Glanzman’s USS Stevens. I’ve never read anything in comics as stirring as Sam’s semi-autobiographical USS Stevens vignettes. This is the first appearance of his greatest work. Pretty copy of a scarcer issue of the 15¢ers. I’m only saying all this because most people have zilcho idea how monumental the Stevens saga is. There. . .I made my pitch. I’m an idgit for selling this.

OPG 9.2 $55.00

CGC 9.2 just sold on ebay for a whopping $117.00

Board price: $70.00 SOLD

oaaw218f_zps169258db.jpg

oaaw218b_zpsa5b2629e.jpg

Last year I came across the original art for his story "Kamikaze" in OAAW #235. I was struck by the depth and sensitivity of his portrayal of the Japanese pilot. I wasn't expecting that and it made a big impression.

"Underrated", absolutely. GLWTS. :)

Star Spangled War Stories #35 5.5 - 6.0 Off-white

Really fresh and supple copy with VF eye appeal, but enough structural defects to bring it down. Badåss Russ Heath story every step of the way.

CGC Census: 2 copies in 5.0 and that’s it.

OPG 6.0 $51.00

Board price $33.00 SOLD

ssws35f_zps4d590d87.jpg

ssws35b_zps36d29950.jpg

Last year I came across the original art for his story "Kamikaze" in OAAW #235. I was struck by the depth and sensitivity of his portrayal of the Japanese pilot. I wasn't expecting that and it made a big impression.

Robert, thanks for the word. Did you buy the story?

Robert, thanks for the word. Did you buy the story?

No I didn't. The seller (rightly) refused to break the story and I couldn't make the cash to do the deal. At the time I was "easy come easy go". In retrospect it just said "loser" on my part.

Even worse, given the now astronomical inflation in the OA market, it was a steal of a deal at the time. Live and learn I guess.

Star Spangled War Stories #78 8.0 - 8.5 C-OW

A bit of mild dust-shadow on the right edge in the CCA stamp area. Not apparent in any other part of the cover.

Beautiful color strike and reflectivity. Eye appeal of a 9.0

I’d NEVER, in a million years, flip this, but I actually upgraded it awhile back. That kind of thing doesn’t happen very often. . .

Every 10¢ DC war book is cool just for being a 10¢ DC war book, but this is unique in ALL the hundreds of the Big-5 issues because it features not one but TWO Mort Drucker stories. It wouldn’t’ be long before Drucker made his mark on DC war with Mlle. Marie. He only drew 4 issues, but it’s his work on #86-89 that is considered the quintessential definition of the character. Drucker’s shadowing and use of chiaroscuro is truly beautiful and, though he went on to superstardom with MAD, his 10¢ DC war work is one of the main reasons I love the genre. . .the other three are Grandenetti, Heath, and Kubert. Anyway, there are a few double-Heath and double-Kubert books in the Big-5, but there’s only one double-Drucker. You’re looking at it.

CGC Census: 1 in 9.2 and I’m not telling where that is; 2 in 7.0.

OPG 8.0: $90.00

Board price $140.00 SOLD

ssws78f_zpsf1cc7387.jpg

ssws78b_zpse2c10048.jpg

Humbug #8 4.0 C - OW

MAD lookalike odd size but doesn’t appear to have been trimmed. Work by Jack Davis, Will Elder, Al Jaffee, Arnold Roth, Russ Heath, and featuring an awesome parody of Elvis Presley. And it’s edited by Kurtzman. Definitely some of the heavies from MAD.

OPG 4.0: $28.00

Board price: $10.00 SOLD

humbug8f_zps41bc7e71.jpg

humbug8b_zps60970477.jpg

Humbug #8 4.0 C - OW

MAD lookalike odd size but doesn’t appear to have been trimmed. Work by Jack Davis, Will Elder, Al Jaffee, Arnold Roth, Russ Heath, and featuring an awesome parody of Elvis Presley. And it’s edited by Kurtzman. Definitely some of the heavies from MAD.

OPG 4.0: $28.00

Board price: $10.00

humbug8f_zps41bc7e71.jpg

humbug8b_zps60970477.jpg

:takeit:

Strange Tales 69 and Humbug 8 go to Marc (HouseofComics.com) ^^

Actually, I'm in the process of changing my name to themetropoliscomics.com. I think it's going to work out really well for me.

:takeit: Unknown Soldier 266, 267, and SSWS 35 as well

^^ Metro should pay you to carry their name. It'd be good PR for them. . .

1st appearance of one of the most underrated sagas of ALL time. I don’t know if DC ever will reprint these in Archive Edition or Showcase format, but the USS Stevens is truly THE best-kept secret among war comics collectors. Sam Glanzman LIVED these stories during his days as a sailor on the USS Stevens during WWII. Some day, people will understand the brilliance of emotion, action, tragedy, whimsy, and introspection that this series conveyed in the space of 4 pages each issue. I get the impression that there’re a lot of folks who give a nod to the better writing coming out of the Bronze Age, but that it doesn’t tend to carry the same nostalgic resonance of the Silver Age series. If ANY series could claim both qualities, it’s Sam Glanzman’s USS Stevens. I’ve never read anything in comics as stirring as Sam’s semi-autobiographical USS Stevens vignettes. This is the first appearance of his greatest work. Pretty copy of a scarcer issue of the 15¢ers. I’m only saying all this because most people have zilcho idea how monumental the Stevens saga is. There. . .I made my pitch. I’m an idgit for selling this.

OPG 9.2 $55.00

Board price: $70.00

oaaw218f_zps169258db.jpg

oaaw218b_zpsa5b2629e.jpg

OPG 9.2 $55.00

Board price: $70.00

oaaw218f_zps169258db.jpg

oaaw218b_zpsa5b2629e.jpg

Good for you Robert! Thanks for removing temptation. I was interested in the USS Stevens story