• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the true 'classic covers' of the Marvel SA?

230 posts in this topic

I feel like I look for threads to use this scan... lol

But I think this cover is awesome and one of the "classic covers"!

29pw6qa.jpg

As I wrote in the DD#1 thread, I think the cover actually lets down the book when compared to other keys.

I would have liked to have seen it less like a modern day gossip magazine with no cross overs along the side and more focus on DD himself.

Something like this;

Background courtesy of The Owl (issue 20)

STn9rqa.jpg

As I wrote in the DD#1 thread, I think the cover actually lets down the book when compared to other keys.

I would have liked to have seen it less like a modern day gossip magazine with no cross overs along the side and more focus on DD himself.

I know a lot of people feel that way but I think that is the reason I DO like it! :D it stands out! It's different! It has the look of a really old-time book... "Come see thrills and chills and action!"

I like how they were boasting about Spider-man and Fantastic Four which were like the WD and Saga during that time! :sumo: Fantastic Four :sumo: " Gorgeous Karen Page"... "Fun-loving Foggy Nelson" ... lol just kind of takes you back to a bygone era! The way the gangsters are depicted dressed in suits - not XXXL white Tshirts! Karen Pages hair style and top! Sexy! :grin:

You just get the feel that you're looking at an old photograph or any old newspaper/magazine ad from those times... I think those are the reasons I do like it! :cloud9:

Who could've passed this one on the stands ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Definitely in my Top 5! Maybe Top 4... :insane:

THX to a couple of vet boardie/collectors Billy and Jimbo to give this thread the bump it deserves!! :headbang::headbang:

I've always loved the cover to ASM #4, as the bright red drew me in, and the four evenly-split images is pretty unique for a Spidey cover. I do sometimes wish Ditko's splash pages had been the covers though, as I think it would still have been a classic...

ASM4-AlternateCover_zpsd445250d.jpg

That cover blows the real #4 away! :applause:

Honestly I prefer the published #4

+1 I like the sense of surprise turning to shock turning to horror as Spidey's being "buried" in sand in those four panels.

And he's all along so there's a sense of helplessness to it.

That FF #39 is cool, but I always thought this one was cooler:

185973-2190-114012-1-daredevil.jpg

Oh, and I'd vote for the new splashy cover to ASM #4. I usually like panel covers, but that splash is just soooooooooooo much better!