• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger SA Key: BB 28 or SC 22?

Bigger SA key: BB 28 or SC 22?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA key: BB 28 or SC 22?

132 posts in this topic

Kubert's a great artist--but a terrible fit for super-hero stuff.

Kubert's Hawkman artwork was excellent. Some of my favourite SA super-hero material. :)

(thumbs u

But are there really people who like silver age DC super-hero books for artistic reasons?

I mean, come on now, they are terrible.

You've got Infantino and Kane and that's about it.

Hey well, Marvel had horrible artists too, like Don Heck, Ayers, and George Tuska. (shrug) Who'd they have besides Kirby and Ditko that were so awesome? (Wally Wood on DD doesn't count, too short a tenure).

DC had Kubert, Murphy Anderson and Neal Adams, Marvel had Gene Colan, John Romita and Bill Everett. Heck and Tuska weren't horrible, just not a good fit for superhero books, Tuska's crime stuff from the forties and fifties and Heck's pre-code output are quite good.

As for Ayers, well let's just say he was a decent inker.

But the comment was about SA super-heroes books, so for the specific question, "Heck and Tuska weren't horrible, just not a good fit for superhero books," = horrible. Bill Everett? What'd he do, a couple Sub-Mariner issues in the SA? He doesn't count. Not a big JRSR fan unless he's inking Gil Kane (like Swan, JRSR is decent, but too generic), but you reminded who I do like a lot: John Buscema.

...Ditko, Steranko, Adams, Severin, Everett (DD#1, Strange Tales, some TTA Subby Stories, Amazing Adventures, Captain America, Subby, etc)

Ditko: I did say "besides Kirby and Ditko". Plus, Ditko did work for DC in the late SA.

Steranko - ok, late SA.

Adams - lol. If he counts for Marvel, he definitely counts for DC first.

John Severin? He inked a few Hulk books, that does not make him a top superhero artist. (You couldn't have meant Marie, her art is awful, John's is awesome) Same with Everett (I can't believe he even gets a mention in the SA).

So, back to chrisware's crazy point, it's really pretty equal. Both sides can say that they had a Top 2 set of awesome artists, then a few good ones after that, and then a bunch of hacks. To try to say that Marvel was vastly superior artistically to DC in the SA is really ridiculous.

Except that Kirby is worth a dozen Infantinos or Kanes.

:roflmao:

And he produced 3 books a month, so the number of artists is hardly relevant.

Kane was doing GL, Atom, and stories in Strange Adventures and Mystery in Space, so we'll say it's Kirby 3 (if you are correct) and Kane 2 1/2.

Besides, my original point was that the DC books were terrible mostly due to the writing.

Then you didn't read my post correctly as I was specifically responding to your quote "But are there really people who like silver age DC super-hero books for artistic reasons? I mean, come on now, they (the artists) are terrible. You've got Infantino and Kane and that's about it." I guess you really didn't put much thought into it (shrug)

- Interestingly, some of those favoring BB 28 over SC 22 are saying that the introduction of the first superhero team is more significant than the first appearance of one of the most significant SA DC characters. While some will argue that SC 22 is not the 1st appearance of the Green Lantern, it is his first SA appearance and Hal Jordan's introduction. If we accept this argument then what holds true for Green Lantern would also apply to the Justice League of America. The Justice League of America had its "Golden Age Roots" in the pages of All Star Comics with the Justice Society of America. Both teams are superhero teams. BB 28 reintroduced the superhero team to the SA. To say that the JLA is an original SA concept denies the history of the prior supergroup that would later show up in Flash 129.

- (Funny thing about Showcase 6 showing up in this thread since it introduced the first SA hero team- the first original SA concept- Kirby always seems to be in the midst of all this history. We see the team concept that Kirby started with the Challengers of the Unknown later moving towards the reintroduction of the "superhero team" in BB 28 and FF 1.)

- While both books are amazing keys- one thing to consider before answering the question as to which is the bigger key:

Was Green Lantern the most popular DC character throughout the SA?

And was Green Lantern more popular than the Justice League of America during the SA?

The passion displayed by all the great boardies once again demonstrates the great community of readers/collectors/historians we have here. (thumbs u

John

I agree with Broznzejonny, it also depends on the buyer, if the person thinks that the INDIVIDUALS first app is more valuable than SC22 but if a person also values the team, it can be anything, some people also go by Price guide standards and value the more expensive book as the bigger "key"

The poll indicates that SC 22 is holding its own given the fact that BB 28 is a hot book in terms of demand and hype generated in other pop culture mediums.

SC 22 is a good book to have right now, in fact, any DC key from 1956-1962 is great to have as there is a much lower amount than marvel books. As I was saying bout SC 22, it's a good book but in terms of demand from the movies, it actually might Hurt the value of it as many people hated the movie. BB 28 however, is more secure as even if a justice league movie bombs people are still gonna want it due to the fact that its pretty much the equivalent to avengers 1 over at marvel

SC 22 is a good book to have right now, in fact, any DC key from 1956-1962 is great to have as there is a much lower amount than marvel books. As I was saying bout SC 22, it's a good book but in terms of demand from the movies, it actually might Hurt the value of it as many people hated the movie. BB 28 however, is more secure as even if a justice league movie bombs people are still gonna want it due to the fact that its pretty much the equivalent to avengers 1 over at marvel

Thank you for that wonderful insight! :eyeroll:

I voted for B+B 28 because my first exposure to superheroes at all was through early 80s reruns of the Batman & Robin TV series and the cartoon Superfriends.

To my 6 year-old self, Green Lantern was only important because he was in the JLA, as featured in Superfriends.

Had he not been in the JLA, I--and many collectors--wouldn't care about Green Lantern at all--so the first appearance of the superteam that gave him signifcance trumps his first appearance (although the story in Showcase 22 clearly trumps that in B+B 28).

I don't own either, but I've long wanted a B+B 28 more than a Showcase 22. And--because of that cartoon when I was 7, I've always wanted B+B 28 more than an Avengers 1 (which I do own).

I voted for B+B 28 because my first exposure to superheroes at all was through early 80s reruns of the Batman & Robin TV series and the cartoon Superfriends.

To my 6 year-old self, Green Lantern was only important because he was in the JLA, as featured in Superfriends.

Had he not been in the JLA, I--and many collectors--wouldn't care about Green Lantern at all--so the first appearance of the superteam that gave him signifcance trumps his first appearance (although the story in Showcase 22 clearly trumps that in B+B 28).

I don't own either, but I've long wanted a B+B 28 more than a Showcase 22. And--because of that cartoon when I was 7, I've always wanted B+B 28 more than an Avengers 1 (which I do own).

:cloud9: Superfriends! Such a great show, and also the first time I heard of Green Lantern. I grew up liking the character, regardless of his team affiliation, and remain a GL fan to this day. And while my copy of SC22 is one of my personal grails, even I have to admit B+B 28 is the bigger key. It seems like it appeals to a larger amount of collectors.

Yes that makes sense, a lot of desicion is influenced by child hood influence, BB 28 also is a scarcer book if u notice, 60% of the ones on the Bay r reprints

CGC census shows the exact same number of copies.

B&B 28: 412

SC 22: 412

If anything, SC 22 is harder to find in high grade than B&B 28.