• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What comic boxes do you use for raw comics?

16 posts in this topic

I am struggling to organize my collection, having used different types of boxes over the years. I have all acid-free boxes, but have often looked longingly at the ease other collectors manage their collections with long boxes, short boxes, and drawer boxes. I have different types of boxes: the flip-top non-corrugated cartons (which hold about 35 bagged/boarded), corrugated acid-free (which hold a little over 100).

I've always steered clear of the latter due to their non-archival aspects, but since I keep all my comics--even new comics--in mylites anyway, do I even need acid-free boxes? Will the acid migrate through mylar of 1 mil or 2 mil thickness? I also use microchamber paper.

I long for an alphabetized collection, but it seems like a bridge too far. How do you do it?

I appreciate any advice. I looked (a little bit) for existing threads on this topic, but I didn't see any. Thanks!

I literally had no idea that Chromium comics on youtube was Chromium on here, then it clicked lol:news:

He is the MAN! Too bad he lives in Belgium,I would buy him a beer and thank him for the wonderful tips. (worship)

I literally had no idea that Chromium comics on youtube was Chromium on here, then it clicked lol:news:

He is the MAN! Too bad he lives in Belgium,I would buy him a beer and thank him for the wonderful tips. (worship)

And the wonderful books he's sold me over the years...

54546-Cheers-Toast-gif-OLQT.gif

I am struggling to organize my collection, having used different types of boxes over the years. I have all acid-free boxes, but have often looked longingly at the ease other collectors manage their collections with long boxes, short boxes, and drawer boxes. I have different types of boxes: the flip-top non-corrugated cartons (which hold about 35 bagged/boarded), corrugated acid-free (which hold a little over 100).

I've always steered clear of the latter due to their non-archival aspects, but since I keep all my comics--even new comics--in mylites anyway, do I even need acid-free boxes? Will the acid migrate through mylar of 1 mil or 2 mil thickness? I also use microchamber paper.

I long for an alphabetized collection, but it seems like a bridge too far. How do you do it?

I appreciate any advice. I looked (a little bit) for existing threads on this topic, but I didn't see any. Thanks!

Plastic boxes all the way. They are wider than regular cardboard short and long boxes, so they will fit up to a silver age Mylite 2 (a golden/silver Mylite 2 might fit, but it would be tight). They will also last longer than cardboard. Also, if you are keeping your books in Mylites/Mylars, then it doesn't really matter if the box is acid free because they acid will not be able to get thru the Mylar.

Link to Ebay

I have over 40,000 comics. I use long and short boxes, not acid free. I prefer the boxes from bags unlimited (because I like the tops and the placement of the hand holds), but they are more expensive than the ones I can get at my LCS (which I think are "comic defense" or something like that, but that's just the logo on the box, essentially they are just normal long and short boxes). I keep my most valuable comics in CGC holders or mylar, my less valuable in mylar or mylites, and my least valuable/common comics in non-acid free bags or just nothing. I've never had a problem, and my comics have been stored this way for decades. If you keep all your comics in mylar/mylites, then you'll be fine with non-acid free boxes.

I stack my long boxes 3 or 4 boxes high. I keep the bottom 2 boxes in drawers for easy access, and it makes it possible to more easily keep everything in 1 alphabet. I buy the drawers from bags unlimited. The drawers do not include the boxes, but I've found that any boxes (at least the ones I've tried) fit in the bags unlimited drawers. I've never tried the comic drawers brand, but they look good too (I've played with them at cons).

For one collector's (mine) approach for organizing my collection, see:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=287793&Number=6396593#Post6396593

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=292247&Number=6518498#Post6518498

when you decide what to do, give us a post, it's interesting to see how others organize their collections.

I have been storing my comics in long boxes (silver & modern) and

magazine boxes (pre-code). I am in process of replacing all long

boxes with short boxes.

I use bookcases to put the boxes on. Some are bookcases I built

many decades ago and some are bookcases I bought and put

together. The ones I bought can only handle two short boxes

(1 long box) per shelf. I need to build or hire someone to build

four more big bookcases similar to the ones I built a long time ago.

Once this is done, I can integrate all of my comics into 4 groups:

1) GA (stored in magazine boxes);

2) Silver - current (stored in short boxes)

3) promos/previews etc. (stored in magazine boxes); &

4) Oversized/off sized items that should not or cannot fit

into short boxes.

Collection size is about 45,000 DC comics.