• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.4 JLA #7 on Heritage

51 posts in this topic

No Bob, you are missing the point entirely, and I'm not sure where the smartassed comments are coming from. My point is that a book with Baxter paper (which is truly "white") is judged differently than a book printed on newsprint (which is really "off-white," even for Curator copies, when compared to Baxter paper). If you have a book that is printed on Baxter paper and the Baxter paper has aged until it is as dark as regular, brand-new newsprint, the Baxter paper book will get a lower PQ designation than the book on brand-new newsprint. Curators have great page quality, but they are not as white as a book printed on Baxter paper because the paper didn't start out that white to begin with.

In other words, a book printed on newsprint does not need to be as white as a book printed on Baxter paper in order to get the "White Pages" designation. Because they started out at different shades of "white," they are judged differently.

So then only Baxter paper books can truly be white page books, and anything printed on newsprint should be off-white to white at best?

Steve Borock stated the above at a forum dinner? Baxter paper books are the cross reference I should be using when judging page quality? Has this been added to the Overstreet Grading guide?

Are we know getting into the What shade of white is white? Have we crossed over to the "Home Depot" paint color department.

I've seen white page curator books, I've seen white paged Spokanes etc.

so CGC has research that certain books started out at a particular level of acidity?

And I said this where? foreheadslap.gif

I dont know what you said...thats why I was asking.

Then perhaps you should re-read the thread instead of making me retype it? makepoint.gif

I did reread it and paraphrased your comments. But if youre just saying that Borock told you they differentiate between between Baxter and mando and Newsprint???? duh. big deal. Why shouldnt they? They are totally different paper compositions.

But if you are saying he told you they judge (for instance) Nedors as having started browner than (say) DCs from the 40s or something along those lines (NOT quoting) ---- then that would require research to ascertain the starting points....

who cares about Baxter books anyway????? I dont think Bob has ever even seen one let alone sell them.

Well, after all was said and done, the JLA 7 went for $2185, inclusive of BP. That works out to about 4.5X Guide, not bad but a lot less than other comparable early SA DCs have been going for lately.

If this were any book other than the one that I sold as a 9.2, I would normally have gone much higher. Instead, I sat this one out. However, there are rumors that a few top JLA collectors are exiting the market, so perhaps JLA prices are due to consolidate for a while. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can't argue about the book-in-hand thing though. Looking at a scan is no substitute for holding the book in your own two hands. confused-smiley-013.gif

A rule that not only applies to comics but to many of the other fine things in life... like women! devil.gif

And, yes... it is the cold medication talking... insane.gif