• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accidental Genius! posted by bagofleas

8 posts in this topic

Not involved but applicable nonetheless!

Ok, so I was going through my comics tonight, searching for any and all SS possibilities for the Baltimore show coming up in September.

I have decided that I am just going to have to go to the show myself since there are too many issues that I want done there.

I came up with over 60 copies that could be signed!!! Sheesh! I have whittled that down to 48 now, but I will probably have to cut a few more in order to make it manageable!

I have cracked, signed and re-graded 43 issues so far and EVERY ONE of them has retained 9.8 grades! That is pretty darn good, I think!!! Of all the items I took to Supercon, there were 15 that I did the same process to. Hopefully the trend continues.

But anyway, back to the reason for this journal. While going through my issues for Baltimore, I came across my recently acquired 1986 9.8 copy of Vigilante Annual #2. Vigilante issues are nearly impossible to find graded, let alone 9.8s. In fact, the vast majority have never been graded at all!

Well, the cover was done by Brian Bolland, who will be at the show, so this is one I would definitely like to get signed, since it would be the only thing I have that I can get done by him.

Here is where the genius moment happened! Without even thinking about it, I just happened to turn the issue over and glance at the back. After all, I always look for interesting signing possibilities, and sometimes the back is more appropriate than the front.

On the back cover is a full page ad for the then upcoming Watchmen series, along with a large piece of art by Dave Gibbons!!

He will also be at the same show! I can have Bolland sign the front and Gibbons sign the back, even though he had nothing to do with the actual issue! How cool is that!

Below is a pic of the back cover so you can see what I mean!

Have any of you noticed an opportunity like this before? I found this out by sheer accident! I think it is a great idea! What do you guys think?

14016.jpg

See more journals by bagofleas

Pure genius! I never thought of that myself and I actually do look at covers mostly on my silver and golden age books for neat ads. This could really turn out to be quite the challenge for all of us. I don't know about anyone else but I know I will look more carefully now at the b/c of every issue for such an opportunity.

Thank you for your discovery!

Sweet deal Fleas!

No, I have never had that kind of serendipity strike - that is going to be one cool issue of Vigilante.

OK - So Baltimore is out of my budget; who is going that would get a Bolland sig series or three for me? I'd love to have his sig on some of his work.

Happy Hunting!

Lee K

Lee - I wish I could hook you up. But I'm not able to go this year either. I wanted to get Bollands signature last year but was caught in the Romita line for too long and missed out. Hope someone is able to hook you up.

I wouldn't have a problem with it, Lee K. I just did like 30 issues for Ronnylama at the Supercon along with my 30something copies!

I will let you know soon if I am definitely going or not, and if so, then I will be happy to get them done for you!

Dear BOF,

Flash of Genius! Way Cool! That is totally awesome! An excellent idea. And there's nothing wrong with it. Your example makes perfect sense and will add further glory to the comic.

By the way... I thought I was the only fan of Adrian Chase and the Vigilante Series. I didn't even bother to get anything graded simply because I didn't think there were people interested. I'm glad to see there are others out there.

Looking forward to seeing your Vigliante collection.

SW3D