• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,036 posts in this topic

I assume everyone who checks in here will want to own the below Book. Just published. Bud Plant has 'em now!

If you are unfamiliar with Chris Wisnia, this is a work 'based' on the Kirby/Lee/Ditko etc Pre Hero Marvel Comics. It's part pastiche, part homage and pure Chaos and Mayhem! Doris Danger works as a photographer at an Atlas Like Magazine chain specializing in 'True Monster' Stories. But are they True? Why is the government trying to pass off fake monsters as real? Can the Monster Liberation Army stop them? What about the guys (actually Actors portraying Robots portraying humans) in fezzes? What do they have to do with this?

That's just a taste of things.

The Kirby homage art is spot on and hilarious. Worth buying for that alone. The format is also brilliant in its own way. The story is chaotic and sometimes deliberately incoherent consisting of short portions of the now Rare Tabloia Magazine, including covers, letter pages with missives from snarky and even down right ANGRY! letter writers, broken snatches of plot, torn and repaired and out of order sections, crayoned marginal comments from juvenile former owner and serial Comic desecrator 'Brad', outright lies from the Editor etc. etc. Mayhem in short.

He lays it on pretty heavy, and though that's a great deal of the charm, I can only read about 20 pages at a time, then I have to let my brain rest.

There is a section at the front with comments by many well known comic creators. My favorite is the Steve Ditko one shown!

A must buy for all Monster Lovers!

IMG_9851.JPG

IMG_9853.JPG

Edited by Book Guy