• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,038 posts in this topic

I/m a long time lurker on this thread and decided I would post some.

Back in the mid 70's the comics I most sought after were the pre-Hero Monster comics. Or, as a friend and I called them 'Mud Monster' Comics. Then they were considered hard-to-find by all the dealers I knew. Now, with the internet we know that's not really true. Jack & Stan hit a popular nerve with these and they seem to be pretty common-though not in grade. But whenever I went to a Comic Convention in the SF Bay Area nobody ever had more than a small amount and they were usually beat up. Over time I pieced together what I have.

Though they were uncommon, they were rarely very expensive. Note the $2.35 price on this first one. I guess there was a time when there was deemed a logical & necessary price point between $2.25 and $2.50! Now it just seems absurd. Now nice copies are so expensive I rarely buy to fill holes in my collection.

Many of the really nice copies I have came from George Olshevsky, the Marvel Bibliographer. He sold off his Atlas collection back in the early 1980's and mixed in with all the early CAPTAIN AMERICA and HUMAN TORCH Issues were a bunch of Mud Monster Books. I spent about $500 with him which was really a stretch. The best buy was the copy of TALES TO ASTONISH 1 which was also the most expensive,, though I can't remember what it cost. $150? $250? A lot for the time. Unlike his Atlas Books George didn't seem to bother to put his ownership mark in these Books like he customarily did with his Golden Age Atlas Books. Most of his really nice pre-Hero titles seemed to be clustered in TTA and STRANGE TALES as I recall. I'll see as I get them out and take photos.

I'm mostly going to post the nicer copies. I have a lot of VG examples the missing issues, but it's too much work and we've seen most of them anyway!

After this Book I'll start with TALES TO ASTONISH and work my way through the rest over the next few days.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_9935.JPG