• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2023 at 8:38 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Thank you so much! I had been thinking about a way to get something going to generate more frequent cover postings and that's what I came up with. This thread is one of my very favorites and I think we've got such a great community of collectors here! I hate to see this thread sink off the first page. :ohnoez:  I'll think about it and see if I can cook up another party theme. :banana:

Anniversary of Kirby's birthday is coming up on August 28th.

Maybe a birthday countdown?

Just throwing that out there...

-bc

So it's 59 days (if we start on 7/1) to Kirby's Birthday on 8/28.

Lets round that up to 60 days (you'll see why in a minute).

The PHM era covers 1959-1963 (5 years or about 60 months)

Let's do a Kirby-palooza starting with all his covers/interior artwork/splash pages, whatever from 1/59 on 7/1, 2/59 works on 7/2, and so on? Due a month per day in order? I might have to break out the scanner to get some splash pages from my raw copies to really do this right :)

What you guys think?

-bc

Edit: Maybe even dig thru the HA.com archives and post some of the OA? (this is a reminder to myself)

Edited by bc
add more data

On 6/29/2023 at 8:38 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Thank you so much! I had been thinking about a way to get something going to generate more frequent cover postings and that's what I came up with. This thread is one of my very favorites and I think we've got such a great community of collectors here! I hate to see this thread sink off the first page. :ohnoez:  I'll think about it and see if I can cook up another party theme. :banana:

Completely agree that this thread is my favorite little corner of the entire forum.

Love Anniversary GIF - Love Anniversary GIFs

On 6/29/2023 at 7:50 PM, bc said:

So it's 59 days (if we start on 7/1) to Kirby's Birthday on 8/28.

Lets round that up to 60 days (you'll see why in a minute).

The PHM era covers 1959-1963 (5 years or about 60 months)

Let's do a Kirby-palooza starting with all his covers/interior artwork/splash pages, whatever from 1/59 on 7/1, 2/59 works on 7/2, and so on? Due a month per day in order? I might have to break out the scanner to get some splash pages from my raw copies to really do this right :)

What you guys think?

-bc

Edit: Maybe even dig thru the HA.com archives and post some of the OA? (this is a reminder to myself)

I'll be right behind you, following your lead @bc!!! I think I've got a few Kirby splash pics already in the folder, but I'll see what I can do about snapping some pics of others!  (thumbsu

Thanks @Jasonmorris1000000 for getting us started....

Shall We Play A Game? - Wednesday, December 15, 2021 - 11 Tevet 5782 -  JTeach

Since we have all seen the covers to our beloved monster books, let's see what we know about the interiors :devil:

I spent the weekend compiling every Jack Kirby splash I could find that he did in the PHM era. There's over 240 of them that I found.

Your mission (if you choose to accept it) is to identify the books that the splash page came from. Some will be ridiculously easy (Kirby did do the lead story for most books), some will be a little tougher.

This will be random; not going to go chronologically, by title or alphabetically to make it more challenging.

Your answer can be in the form of either the cover of the book or just the issue.

So let's get started.....

-bc

Edited by bc

On 7/3/2023 at 11:50 AM, Frisco Larson said:

I'll take a break and give others a chance.  doh!

It's all good, plan on doing several a day as I get time (thumbsu

Should we alter the rules and have everyone put their answers in a spoiler tag? 

Spoiler

Like this?

Not sure how to use a spoiler tag? When creating or editing a post, hit the "eye" icon in the center of the toolbar:

image.thumb.png.9c5b49560dc196bb69aebdf74f253553.png

Then type your answer or post the cover in the "Spoiler" portion.

Spoiler

It will look like this

-bc

Edited by bc
added instructions