• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2023 at 8:21 PM, KirbyJack said:

Unlike you two, I actively sought out low grade books. 
When I was at a con, I’d concentrate on big hero books first, and with the left over $30 or so, I’d find a PHM or three. They were always there, and always fun. 

I was the same way pal. I just wanted the books and a vg fit the bill much better than a vf for me, mostly because I could get more of them! I was lucky though, we had guys like John Hauser coming into town with clean mid-grade copies with killer pages and they were very affordable, especially when you picked up a stack!  (thumbsu

On 7/22/2023 at 2:21 AM, KirbyJack said:

Unlike you two, I actively sought out low grade books. 
When I was at a con, I’d concentrate on big hero books first, and with the left over $30 or so, I’d find a PHM or three. They were always there, and always fun. 

On 7/22/2023 at 3:21 AM, Frisco Larson said:

I was the same way pal. I just wanted the books and a vg fit the bill much better than a vf for me, mostly because I could get more of them! I was lucky though, we had guys like John Hauser coming into town with clean mid-grade copies with killer pages and they were very affordable, especially when you picked up a stack!  (thumbsu

Yeah, when I was a kid, it wasnt just cash that was limited, the comics were very limited too, here in the UK we didnt have many comic shops and the few we did have didnt have access to a lot of stuff as it wasnt always distributed, so you just had to grab anything you could, the grade wasnt even an issue for me, thats why my collection is all over the place condition wise.

There was a short lived bookshop near me that sold comics based on age

1 x 1950s comic = £1.00

3 x 1960s comics = £1.00

5 x 1970s comics = £1.00

I pretty much always bought 5 x 1970s comics with my hard earned £1.00 :cry:

On 7/22/2023 at 6:30 AM, Kevin.J said:

Yeah, when I was a kid, it wasnt just cash that was limited, the comics were very limited too, here in the UK we didnt have many comic shops and the few we did have didnt have access to a lot of stuff as it wasnt always distributed, so you just had to grab anything you could, the grade wasnt even an issue for me, thats why my collection is all over the place condition wise.

There was a short lived bookshop near me that sold comics based on age

1 x 1950s comic = £1.00

3 x 1960s comics = £1.00

5 x 1970s comics = £1.00

I pretty much always bought 5 x 1970s comics with my hard earned £1.00 :cry:

As a kid, I only bought new comics, as I had no way to obtain anything vintage, well with ONE exception. In 7th grade I traded a few new comics for an Iron Man #4 (which I still have & is the ONLY comic I have from my childhood)!!! I couldn't believe it when he produced it!!! 1968 ... WOW!!! I thought it had to be the only one left in existence!!!  lol Beyond that, it was the spinner rack or magazine rack for me. 

On 7/23/2023 at 8:31 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Now I'm curious to know what the "Propaganda" story was about!  The splash gives very little away.

Scroll up to the "Man in the Beehive" pic and see the website listed under it. I think you can read most comics on that site. I've never gone to it myself, but I see others reference it here on occasion.  (thumbsu