• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,220 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2024 at 9:37 PM, bc said:

Awesome set sir! 

Think the reason that they dropped the "!" in the title block was due to them needing to use that at least 3 times in the cover word balloons after their shift to the "big monster" era from the sci-fi stories in issues 1-8 of both TTA and TOS.

That TTA 10 has 12 exclamation marks in the cover word balloons alone !!!!!!!!!!!!

-bc

It is just following the lead of the title of this thread,

''Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!''

But punyhuman missed a trick, should have been punyhuman!!!!!!! (at least).

Off to t'Rovers for a nightcap!!!!!

On 8/7/2024 at 7:22 PM, Frisco Larson said:

TOS offers a few 3-fer inanimate object covers! 

Tales of Suspense 31 5.0 ow-w front.jpg

Tales of Suspense 34 raw.jpg

:headbang:

These are well past the peak big monster period just as Stan was getting more involved in the big 4 titles.

-bc

On 8/14/2024 at 5:04 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

That one reminds me of Prize Comics Black Magic

Now that you point it out, I can definitely see the similarities as well. Never thought of that :headbang:

-bc

SW5 is an interesting book to me. In the last story, the term " ho mo superior" is used to describe the advanced people on a distant planet. That was in 1959, long before that term was used to describe the mutants of the Marvel Universe.

image.thumb.png.4cf88111b29087fad7cac6464de2371f.png

Sort of builds on Yellow Claw 2 - where the term mutant is used for "gifted" individuals with special powers.

Just neat to see the early pieces and parts that will come together in a few years.

-bc

Edited by bc
they censored the word ho mo for some reason