• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,227 posts in this topic

Steve. I feel sorry for you

You'll be done with pre hero marvels before summers out

Ahh. A good question for the advanced pre-hero collector...what to do once you have collected ALL the Marvel pre-hero books?

There are a number of paths (or combinations thereof...):

1) Start collecting the "monster apocrypha". Such as the monster issues that cross into the Atlas Western and Romance titles.

2) Start collecting Ditko Charlton Anthology titles. The art and stories vary in quality, but there are a (very) few gems there that are just as good as some of Steve's Marvel pre-hero stories.

3) Charlton Monster comics - issues of Konga, Gorgo, Reptilicus...

4) Star Spangled War Stories - dinosaurs, dinosaurs, and more dinosaurs!

5) DC Sci-Fi anthology titles - great art, great stories. Its particularly fun looking for Marvel prototypes in these DC books!

6) Harvey Sci-Fi anthology titles - lots of decent Kirby stories (maybe even a Marvel prototype or two!).

7) Crestwood titles - Black Magic, Strange Worlds of Your Dreams, etc. lots of good 50's Simon & Kirby horror/fantasy.

Any other suggestions?

Bill

well there's always

8) upgrades, and

9) original art

The monster comics will always be a small but challenging set, that's part of their appeal. I don't know that there is a lot to move onto after that that's in precisely the same vein but that's part of their charm; there's nothing else quite like them :)

Just to pick up on 9)

there is just a gorgeous OOG story on clink. Reserve it too high at 25k but if I was an advanced prehero collector I'd probably try and work something out at a lower number. The splash page is just gorgeous.

Ahh. A good question for the advanced pre-hero collector...what to do once you have collected ALL the Marvel pre-hero books?

This is why I love being a Kirby collector; you never have to worry about being done.

what happened to this no higher grades business? :tonofbricks:lol

Congrats!!! great looking books. What are the technical grades, anyways? Congrats again.

I'm hatching on a plan to be able to post a couple myself soon :cloud9:

Thnx Mysterio, I think so too. :luhv::luhv:

Bronty, well they just kind of fell into my lap and aren't in tombs, so... (haha).

Hard for me to assign a technical grade because of a few Marvel chips/pre-chipping, but they were sold to me at VF- and VF respectively, FWIW.

However, it was the white pages that hooked me, not their technical grade.

Beautiful! :applause:

TOS37001.jpg

Honestly guys, it's just a lot of legwork... Bunky Brothers, Worldwide, Harley Yee, Jim Payette, my LCS, plus Board members.

They've all taken good care of me. (thumbs u

I told myself, I told myself, I told myself... that I'm not going to get into higher grade pre-hero Marvels.

And then this comes along yesterday; it's my first pre-hero Marvel slab:

100_7524.jpg

Now you just have to crack it out of the case, Steve. sleep.gif

Probably my very favorite PH cover :cloud9:

Thanks again to our man Roy (worship) as I was really really bummed over losing the clink copy and am thrilled to find a real nice replacement so soon after losing that.

TTA19.jpg